This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fault Feature Extraction of Elliptically Shaped Bearing Raceway
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The elliptically shaped bearing (ESB) with a rigid, elliptical inner race and a flexible, thin-walled outer race is the most easily damaged core component of harmonic drive. The ESB rotates under cycle load of alternating stress due to its special elliptic structure. Hence, the fault features of ESB such as fatigue spalling and pitting are apt to be concealed by the excitation of impulses caused by alternating between major axis and minor axis. In order to diagnose the fault on raceway surfaces of ESB, a new method of CMWT-FH based on Continuous Morlet Wavelet Transform (CMWT) and FFT-based Hilbert (FH) spectrum analysis is proposed to extract the fault feature. First, the formulas of feature frequency is deduced based on the geometry and kinematics characteristics of ESB; then the CMWT method is employed to decompose the fault signal of ESB; finally, the FH spectrum analysis is performed to extract the feature frequency of faulty ESB from the decomposition signal with the maximum kurtosis in the first several layers. Compared with the traditional FH method, the feature frequency and its sideband and whether the fault location is on the outer or inner ring of faulty ESB can be identified by the proposed CMWT-FH method more accurately.
CitationGuo, Y. and Zhao, X., "Fault Feature Extraction of Elliptically Shaped Bearing Raceway," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1564, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1564.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Schäfer, I. , “Improving the Reliability of EMA by Using Harmonic Drive Gears,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3262, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3262.
- Schaefer, I. and Slatter, R. , “Precision Pointing and Actuation Systems for UAVs Using Harmonic Drive Gears,” AIAA Journal, 2013, doi:10.2514/6.2003-6636.
- Tjahjowidodo, T., Al-Bender, F., and Brussel, H.V. , “Theoretical Modelling and Experimental Identification of Nonlinear Torsional Behaviour in Harmonic Drives,” Mechatronics 23(5):497-504, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.mechatronics.2013.04.002.
- Büssow, R. , “An Algorithm for the Continuous Morlet Wavelet Transform,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 21(8):2970-2979, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2007.06.001.
- Pan, M.C. and Tsao, W.C. , “Using Appropriate IMFs for Envelope Analysis in Multiple Fault Diagnosis of Ball Bearings,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 69(4):114-124, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2013.01.035.
- Qin, Y. , “A New Family of Model-Based Impulsive Wavelets and their Sparse Representation for Rolling Bearing Fault Diagnosis,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 1-1, 2017, doi:10.1109/TIE.2017.2736510.
- Shiroishi, J., Li, Y., Liang, S., Kurfess, T., and Danyluk, S. , “Bearing Condition Diagnostics Via Vibration and Acoustic Emission Measurement,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 11(5):693-705, 1997, doi:10.1006/mssp.1997.0113.
- Dishan, H. , “A Wavelet-Based Algorithm for the Hilbert Transform,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 10(2):125-134, 1996, doi:10.1006/mssp.1996.0009.
- Sheen, Y.T. , “On the Study of Applying Morlet Wavelet to the Hilbert Transform for the Envelope Detection of Bearing Vibrations,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 23(5):1518-1527, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2009.01.012.
- Ostapski, W. , “Analysis of the Stress State in the Harmonic Drive Generator-Flexspline System in Relation to Selected Structural Parameters and Manufacturing Deviations,” Bulletin of the Polish Academy of Sciences Technical Sciences 58(4):683-698, 2010, doi:10.2478/v10175-010-0073-8.
- Skowronek, A. “Schwingungserregung durch elliptisch verformte Kugellager (Excitation of Vibrations by Elliptically Deformed Bearings),” Ph.D. thesis, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany, 2013. https://core.ac.uk/reader/18333811
- Adams, C., Skowronek, A., Bös, J. et al. , “Vibrations of Elliptically Shaped Bearings in Strain Wave Gearings,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 138(2), 2016, doi:10.1115/1.4032038.
- Masmoudi, M.L., Etien, E., Moreau, S. et al. , “Single Point Bearing Fault Diagnosis Using Simplified Frequency Model,” Electrical Engineering 1-11, 2016, doi:10.1007/s00202-016-0441-y.
- Tian, J., Morillo, C., Azarian, M.H. et al. , “Motor Bearing Fault Detection Using Spectral Kurtosis-Based Feature Extraction Coupled with K-Nearest Neighbor Distance Analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 63(3):1793-1803, 2016, doi:10.1109/TIE.2015.2509913.
- Mcfadden, P.D. and Toozhy, M.M. , “Application of Synchronous Averaging to Vibration Monitoring of Rolling Element Bearings,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 14(6):891-906, 2000, doi:10.1006/mssp.2000.1290.