This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dual Clutch Transmission Vibrations during Gear Shift: A Simulation-Based Approach for Clunking Noise Assessment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel methodology, for the assessment of Dual Clutch Transmission vibrations during gear shifts, is proposed in this paper. It is based on the capability to predict through numerical simulation a typical dynamic quantity used to objectively evaluate the vibrational behavior of a gearbox during experimental tests, i.e. the acceleration of a point on the external surface of the gearbox housing. To achieve this result, a two-step approach is proposed: an accurate simulation of the internal transmission dynamics and an offline uncoupled computation of the gearbox housing acceleration from the output of the simulation. The first step required the definition of a suitable nonlinear lumped parameter model of the car equipped with a DCT that was implemented in Amesim software. The second step, developed as a post processing tool in Matlab, is based on the knowledge of the inertance Frequency Response Functions (FRFs) between a single component of force applied in a bearing and a single component of acceleration in the measurement point. The indices used to assess the clunk severity are peak to peak amplitude and RMS of the gearbox housing acceleration. The effectiveness of this method is proven by comparing experimental and simulated trends of the clunk indices.
CitationGalvagno, E., Dimauro, L., Mari, G., Velardocchia, M. et al., "Dual Clutch Transmission Vibrations during Gear Shift: A Simulation-Based Approach for Clunking Noise Assessment," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1553, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1553.
- Qatu , M.S. , Abdelhamid , M.K. , Pang , J. , and Sheng , G. Overview of Automotive Noise and Vibration Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 5 1/2 1 35 2009 10.1504/IJVNV.2009.029187
- Le Guen , D. , Weck , T. , Balihe , A. , and Verbeke , B. Definition of Gearshift Pattern: Innovative Optimization Procedures Using System Simulation SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 412 431 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0395
- Chen , M. , Wang , D. , Lee , H. , Jiang , C. et al. Application of CAE in Design Optimization of a Wet Dual Cutch Transmission and Driveline SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7 3 1128 1137 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1755
- Shih , S. , Yruma , J. , and Kittredge , P. Drivetrain Noise and Vibration Troubleshooting SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2809 2001 10.4271/2001-01-2809
- Brancati , R. , Rocca , E. , and Russo , R. A Gear Rattle Model Accounting for Oil Squeeze Between the Meshing Gear Teeth Proceedings of IMechE-PartD, Journal of Automobile Engineering 219 9 1075 1083 2005
- Russo , R. , Brancati , R. , and Rocca , E. Experimental Investigations about the Influence of Oil Lubricant Between Teeth on the Gear Rattle Phenomenon Journal of Sound and Vibration 321 3-5 647 661 2009 10.1016/j.jsv.2008.10.008
- Miyasato , H.H. , Milton , D.J. , Simionatto , V.G.S. Study of the Gear Rattle Phenomena in Automotive Powertrain Systems 21st International Congress Of Mechanical Engineering Brazil Oct. 21-28 2011
- Brancati , R. , Rocca , E. , Savino , S. A Gear Rattle Metric Based on the Wavelet Multi-Resolution Analysis: Experimental Investigation Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 50-51 2015 161 173 10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.05.018
- Zhang , Z. , Pang , J. , Li , H. , Yang , X. , et al. Study of Dual-Clutch Transmission Gear Rattle under Low Speed Driving Condition ICSV22 Florence, Italy July 12-16 2015
- Galvagno , E. , Guercioni , G. , and Vigliani , A. Sensitivity Analysis of the Design Parameters of a Dual-Clutch Transmission Focused on NVH Performance SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1127 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1127
- Galvagno , E. , Tota , A. , Velardocchia , M. , and Vigliani , A. Enhancing Transmission NVH Performance through Powertrain Control Integration with Active Braking System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1778 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1778
- Walker , P.D. and Zhang , N. Investigation of Synchroniser Engagement in Dual Clutch Transmission Equipped Powertrains Journal of Sound and Vibration 331 6 1398 1412 2012 10.1016/j.jsv.2011.11.005
- Razzacki , S. and Hottenstein , J. Synchronizer Design and Development for Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0114 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0114
- Pacejka , H.B. Tyre and Vehicle Dynamics Stoneham Butterworth 2006
- SKF Industrie S.p.A. 2006