Modeling and Validation for the Hysteretic Behavior of an Automatic Belt Tensioner
Published June 5, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
An automatic tensioner used in an engine front end accessory drive system (EFEADS) is taken as a study example in this paper. The working torque of the tensioner, which consists of the spring torque caused by a torsional spring and the frictional torques caused by the contact pairs, is analyzed by a mathematic analysis method and a finite element method. And the calculation and simulation are validated by a torque measurement versus angular displacement of a tensioner arm. The working torques of the tensioner under a loading and an unloading process are described by a bilinear hysteretic model, and are written as a function with a damping ratio. The rule of the action for the damping devices is investigated based on the simulation and a durability test of the tensioner. A finite element method for the tensioner without damping device is established. Then the radial deformation for the torsional spring under an unconstrained state is obtained. The analysis results have a good correlation with the measurements. The method presented in this paper is beneficial for predicting the working torque performance of an automatic tensioner, and reducing the design period and the cost for prototype validation.
CitationLong, S., Zhao, X., Xu, P., and Shangguan, W., "Modeling and Validation for the Hysteretic Behavior of an Automatic Belt Tensioner," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1546, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1546.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Shangguan, W.B. , “Experimental and Calculation Analysis of Rotational Vibration for an Engine Front End Accessory Drive System,” SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Mechanical Systems 4(2):1000-1017, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1534.
- Song, G., Shen, Y., Chandrashekhara, K. et al. , “Thermal-Mechanical Finite Element Analysis of V-ribbed Belt Drive Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0925 , 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0925.
- Serkh, A , “Tensioner with Damping Mechanism,” U.S. Patent, US 6565468 B2, 2003.
- Kraver, T.C., Fan, G.W., and Shah, J.J. , “Complex Modal Analysis of a Flat Belt Pulley System with Belt Damping and Coulomb-Damped Tensioner,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 118:306-311, 1996, doi:10.1115/1.2826885.
- Zhao, J., Barker, C., Oliver, L. et al. , “Experimental Testing and Modeling of Automotive Automatic Belt Tensioners,” SAE Technical Paper 980839 1-13, 1998, doi:10.4271/980839.
- Bastien, J., Michon, G., Manin, L. et al. , “An Analysis of the Modified Dahl and Masing Models: Application to a Belt Tensioner,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 302(4):841-864, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2006.12.013.
- Michon, G., Manin, L., and Dufour, R. , “Hysteretic Behavior of a Belt Tensioner: Modeling and Experimental Investigation,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 11(9):1147-1158, 2005, doi:10.1177/1077546305055539.
- Dukkipati, R.V., Qie, G., Zhu, J. et al. , “Vibrations and Instability in Automotive Front End Accessory Drive Belt System,” SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars-Mechanical Systems 2(1):1222-1236, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1417.
- Hwang, S.J., Perkins, N.C., Ulsoy, A.G. et al. , “Rotational Response and Slip Prediction of Serpentine Belt Drives Systems,” ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics Transactions 116(1):71-78, 1994, doi:10.1115/1.2930400.
- Leamy, M.J. and Perkins, N.C. , “Nonlinear Periodic Response of Engine Accessory Drives with Dry Friction Tensioners,” ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics Transactions 120(4):909-916, 1998, doi:10.1115/1.2893919.
- Cheng, G. and Zu, J.W. , “Nonstick and Stick-Slip Motion of a Coulomb-Damped Belt Drive System Subjected to Multifrequency Excitations,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 70:871-884, 2003, doi:10.1115/1.1629754.
- Shangguan, W.B. and Zeng, X.K. , “Modeling and Validation of Rotational Vibration Responses for Accessory Drive System-Part II: Simulations and Analyses,” ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics Transactions 135(3):031003(1-13), 2013, doi:10.1115/1.4023140.
- Feng, X., Shangguan, W.B., Deng, J. et al. , “Modelling of the Rotational Vibrations of the Engine Front-End Accessory Drive System: A Generic Method,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 213(13):1780-1795, 2017, doi:10.1177/0954407016685966.
- Kwon, Y.I., J.-G., I.H., and Emam, A. , “Vibrational Power Flow in the Moving Belt Passing through a Tensioner,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 229(2):329-353, 2000, doi:10.1006/jsvi.1999.2484.
- Zhu, F. and Parker, R.G. , “Influence of Tensioner Dry Friction on the Vibration of Belt Drives With Belt Bending Stiffness,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 130(1):011002(1-9), 2008, doi:10.1115/1.2775510.