This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
System Interactions Affecting NVH Performance of an Electric Vehicle Drivetrain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The paper will present an integrated approach to system NVH analysis, which gives an insight into the system response in an EV driveline due to electrical and mechanical excitations; namely rotor mechanical imbalance, electrical machine torque ripple, and stator radial force shapes.
The paper will address the fact that, as part of a practical design exercise, different subsystems and components may achieve design maturity at different times. It is therefore important to understand to what extent various drivetrain components may be considered in isolation, and at what point it becomes necessary to consider the interactions present in the full system.
The paper will compare predicted NVH performance of a representative EV traction motor when different boundary conditions are considered; for example, when considering the motor being bested in isolation as part of a typical test setup, and when included in a representative drivetrain. For each configuration, the response to mechanical and electro-mechanical noise mechanisms will be assessed, and the fidelity of simulation required to achieve an appropriate engineering insight will be considered.
From these studies, the best practice for the assessment of NVH as part of a holistic design process will be discussed. Consideration will be made of the factors which may influence the choice of simulation approach; for example, the level of design maturity, the availability and reliability of system data, and the design targets which are to be addressed.
CitationMichon, M., Holehouse, R., Shahaj, A., Jafarali, H. et al., "System Interactions Affecting NVH Performance of an Electric Vehicle Drivetrain," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1545, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1545.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Platten , M. Dynamic Simulation of Transmissions and Drivelines Using Romax DESIGNER SIA Acoustic Simulation Workshop Paris 2011
- Holehouse , R. , Shahaj , A. , Michon , M. , and James , B. Integrated Approach to Electro-Mechanical System NVH Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1499 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1499
- Veggia Bombardi , F. , Atallah , K. , Shahaj , A. , Michon , M. et al. Effects of Unbalanced Magnetic Pull on NVH Performance of an Electric Drivetrain SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1504 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1504
- Yang , S.J. Low-Noise Electrical Motors Monographs in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Oxford Oxford Science Publications 1981
- Gieras , J.F. , Wang , C. , and Lai , C.L. Noise of Polyphase Electric Machines Taylor & Francis Group 2006 127 174
- Cepon , G. , Pirnat , M. , and Boltezar , M. An Experimental and Numerical Identification of Laminated Structure Dynamics Proceedings of ISMA 2012 2012 3153 3165
- Ishibashi , F. , Matsushita , M. , Noda , S. et al. Change of Mechanical Natural Frequencies of Induction Motor IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 46 3 922 927 2010
- Holehouse , R. , Shahaj A. , Michon M. , and James , B. An Integrated Approach to NVH Analysis in Electric Vehicle Drivetrains Power Electronics Machines and Drives Conference 2018