This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of Additive Manufactured Stacks in a Small Scale Thermoacoustic Heat Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Thermoacoustic heat engines (TAHEs) are external combustion engines primarily designed to convert thermal power into acoustic power and, eventually, into mechanical, electric or other forms of high grade power. TAHEs rely on the presence of a porous core, often referred to as “stack”. A temperature gradient is established along the porous core and quasi-adiabatic heat exchanges occur between the solid walls of the pores and the surrounding gaseous medium undergoing pressure fluctuations. The internal geometry of the stack has tremendous impact on the efficiency of thermal-to-acoustic power conversion.
In this study, the selective laser melting (SLM) has been used to produce stacks. The SLM is an additive manufacturing (AM) technique designed for 3D metal printing. It is based on high power- density laser which melts and fuses metallic powders together. Three sets of stacks, provided with different hydraulic radii and internal geometries, have been produced. Each set is constituted by two stacks with similar hydraulic radii, one with internal parallel plates and one with internal oblique pin array. The SLM provides precise control of the features of the printed object, allowing to explore geometries which are difficult to manufacture with conventional technologies but, possibly, more effective in the heat exchange process. This is the case of pin (and oblique pin) array geometries, which provide a reduced amount of viscous losses when the working fluid has Prandtl number Pr < 1, e.g. air.
The printed stacks have been tested in a small scale standing-wave TAHE set up in Tallinn University of Technology (TalTech). Temperatures are monitored in proximity of the hot and cold heat exchangers, as well as the sound pressure within the engine resonator. The measured quantities are shown in time and frequency domain to analyze the onset and the stability of the thermoacoustic phenomenon.
|Technical Paper||The Columbus ECLSS First Year of Operations|
|Technical Paper||Testing of the Multi-Fluid Evaporator Prototype|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Test Procedure for Internal Heat Exchangers of Mobile Air-Conditioning Systems with R-134a or R-1234yf Refrigerant|
CitationAuriemma, F. and Holovenko, Y., "Performance of Additive Manufactured Stacks in a Small Scale Thermoacoustic Heat Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1534, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1534.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Bisio , G. and Rubatto , G. Sondhauss and Rijke Oscillations, Thermodynamic Analysis, Possible Applications and Analogies Energy 24 2 117 131 1999
- Rayleigh , J.W.S. The Theory of Sound vol. II London Macmillan 1878
- Rott , N. Damped and Thermally Driven Acoustic Oscillations in Wide and Narrow Tubes Z. Angew. Math. Phys. 20 230 1969
- Wheatley , J.C. , Hofler , T. , Swift , G.W. , and Migliori , A. Understanding Some Simple Phenomena in Thermoacoustics with Applications to Acoustical Heat Engines American Journal of Physics 53 2 147 162 1985 10.1119/1.14100
- Swift , G.W. Thermoacoustics - A Unifying Perspective for Some Engines and Refrigerators New York Acoustical Society of America 2002
- Auriemma , F. and Tiikoja , H. On the Acoustic Impedance of a Fibreless Sound Absorptive Element SAE Int. J. Engines 8 5 2268 2275 2015 10.4271/2015-24-2462
- Auriemma , F. , Rämmal , H. , and Lavrentjev , J. Extended Investigations on Micro-Grooved Elements - A Novel Solution for Noise Control SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf 7 1 184 194 2014 10.4271/2013-24-0068
- Hofler , T.J. and Reed , M.S. Measurements with Wire Mesh Stacks in Thermoacoustic Prime Movers Journal of Acoustical Society of America 99 2559 1996
- Adeff , J.A. , Hofler , T.J. , Atchley , A.A. , and Moss , W.C. Measurements with Reticulated Vitreous Carbon Stacks in Thermoacoustic Prime Movers and Refrigerators Journal of Acoustical Society of America 104 32 38 1998
- Abduljalil , A.S. , Yu , Z. , Jaworski , A.J. Performance Studies of Travelling-Wave Thermoacoustic Engine for Selected Low-Cost Regenerators Proceedings of SEM Annual Conference Albuquerque NM June 1-4 2009
- Arnott , W.P. , Bass , H.E. , and Raspet , R. General Formulation of Thermoacoustics for Stacks Having Arbitrarily Shaped Pore Cross Sections J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 90 3228 1991
- Hofler , T.J. 1986
- Swift , G.W. and Keolian , R.M. Thermoacoustics in Pin-Array Stacks Journal of Acoustical Society of America 94 941 943 1993
- Aiello , R. and Auriemma , F. Optimized Vibro-Acoustic Design of Suspended Glass Panels Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 58 5 2253 2268 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-018-2014-3
- Majak , J. , Kuttner , F. , Pohlak , M. , Eerme , M. et al. Application of Evolutionary Methods for Solving Optimization Problems in Engineering Proceedings of NordDesign, 39-48, NordDesign 2008 Conference Tallinn, Estonia
- Majak , J. , Pohlak , M. , Karjust , K. , Eerme , M. et al. New High Order Haar Wavelet Method: Application to FGM Structures Composite Structures 201 72 78 10.1016/j.compstruct.2018.06.013
- Shvartsman , B.S. , Majak , J. , and Kirs , M. Numerical Method for Stability Analysis of Functionally Graded Columns Proceedings of the International Conference of DAAAM Baltic Industrial Engineering, Volume 2014, 65-70. 9th International Conference of DAAAM Balti Tallinn, Estonia 2014
- Dragonetti , R. , Napolitano , M. , Di Filippo , S. , and Romano , R. Modeling Energy Conversion in a Tortuous Stack for Thermoacoustic Applications Applied Thermal Engineering 103 233 242 2016 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.04.076
- Tiikoja , H. , Auriemma , F. , and Lavrentjev , J. Damping of Acoustic Waves in Straight Ducts and Turbulent Flow Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1816 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1816
- Tiikoja , H. , Lavrentjev , J. , Rämmal , H. , and Åbom , M. Experimental Investigation of Sound Reflection from Hot Subsonic Flow Duct Termination Journal of Sound and Vibration 333 788 800 2014 10.1016/j.jsv.2013.09.030
- Auriemma , F. Study of a New Highly Absorptive Acoustic Element Acoustics Australia 45 2 411 419 2017 10.1007/s40857-017-0087-6
- Holovenko , Y. , Kollo , L. , Jõeleht , M. , Pohlak , M. et al. Effect of Hot Isostatic Pressing on Cellular Lattice Structures Obtained by Selective Laser Melting World PM2016 Congress & Exhibition Hamburg, Germany October 9-13 2016 European Powder Metallurgy Association
- Minasyan , T. , Liu , L. , Aghayan , M. , Kollo , L. et al. A Novel Approach to Fabricate Si3N4 by Selective Laser Melting Ceramics International 44 13689 13694 2018 10.1016/j.ceramint.2018.04.208
- Moezzi , R. and Auriemma , F. Observation of Nonlinear Vibro-Acoustic Phenomena in the Presence of Elastic Membrane with Different Boundary Conditions Euronoise 2018 Crete 2226-5147