This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Augmenting Vehicle Production Audit with Objective Data and Sound Quality Metrics to Improve Customer Experience in a Changing Automotive Landscape
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle manufacturers face increasing challenges in auditing the build quality of their vehicles while considering increasing consumer demands regarding NVH performance. This effect is compounded with the rise in electric and hybrid vehicles. The ability to audit vehicles for a variety of noise types is becoming increasingly important; these include powertrain noise, road noise, and wind noise. An automated measurement system was developed with specific algorithms and sound quality metrics to not only audit vehicle production quality but to add objective data, pass-fail criteria, and trend analysis.
CitationThom, B., Cerrato, G., and Sturgill, M., "Augmenting Vehicle Production Audit with Objective Data and Sound Quality Metrics to Improve Customer Experience in a Changing Automotive Landscape," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1531, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1531.
- Zwicker, E. and Fastl, H. , Psychoacoustics Facts and Models (Germany: Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 1990).
- Cerrato, G. , “Automotive Sound Quality - Powertrain, Road and Wind Noise,” Sound & Vibration, April 2009.
- “Environmental Noise Measurement,” Bruel & Kjaer booklet.
- Amman, S. et al. , “Subjective Quantification of Wind Buffeting Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1821, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1821.
- Blommer, M. et al. , “Sound Quality Metric Development for Wind Buffeting and Gusting Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1509, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1509.
- Thom, B., Frank E., Sturgill, M, and Newton, G. , “A New Approach to End of Line Vehicle Audit-Turning Subjective Evaluations to Objective Rankings Using a New Signal Processing Algorithm,” INCE Technical Paper in18_2015, 2018.
- Cerrato, G., Gabiniewicz, J., Gatt, J., and Pickering, D. , “Automatic Detection of Buzz, Squeak, and Rattle Events,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1479, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1479.