This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinematic Analysis and Simulation of the Double Roller Tripod Joint
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 5, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The kinematic model of the double roller tripod joint is established in order to analyze its kinematic characteristics and provide theoretical basis for its application and improvement. By means of spatial coordinate transformation, the translational and rotational motion equations of the rollers relative to the tracks and trunnions, the motion equation of the center of the tripod and the equations of the input/output angular displacement error and bending angle are derived. The motion simulation of the double roller tripod universal joint was carried out in ADAMS so as to verify the established kinematic model. The results show that the rollers of the double roller tripod joint only have periodic translational motions relative to the tracks while the rollers have both periodic translational and rotational motions relative to the trunnions. The tripod’s center does the circular motion on the tripod plane with the angular velocity 3 times of the input angular velocity. The input/output angular displacement error and bending angle have volatility, and their fluctuating frequency are 3 times of the input rotational frequency. Hence, the double roller tripod joint is a quasi-constant-velocity joint whose rollers only do pure rolling motion in the tracks.
CitationQiu, Y. and Shangguan, W., "Kinematic Analysis and Simulation of the Double Roller Tripod Joint," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1526, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1526.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Serveto, S., Mariot, J.P., and Diaby, M. , “Modelling and Measuring the Axial Force Generated by Tripod Joint of Automotive Drive-Shaft,” Multibody System Dynamics 19(3):209-226, 2008, doi:10.1007/s11044-007-9091-1.
- Lim, Y.H., Song, M.E., Lee, W.H., Cho, H.J. et al. , “Multibody Dynamics Analysis of the Driveshaft Coupling of the Ball and Tripod Types of Constant Velocity Joints,” Multibody System Dynamics 22(2):145-162, 2009, doi:10.1007/s11044-009-9155-5.
- Qatu, M.S., Abdelhamid, M.K., Pang, J., and Sheng, G. , “Overview of Automotive Noise and Vibration,” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 5(1/2):1-35, 2009, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2009.029187.
- Qatu, M.S. , “Recent Research on Vehicle Noise and Vibration,” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 8(4):289-301, 2012, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2012.051536.
- Durum, M.M. , “Kinematic Properties of Tripode (Tri-Pot) Joints,” Journal of Engineering for Industry 97(2):708-713, 1975, doi:10.1023/A:1009734924787.
- Akbil, E. and Lee, T.W. , “On the Motion Characteristics of Tripode Joints. Part 1: General Case,” Journal of Mechanisms Transmissions & Automation in Design 106(2):228-234, 1984, doi:10.1115/1.3258584.
- Lee, T.W. and Akbil, E. , “On the Motion Characteristics of Tripode Joints. Part 2: Applications,” Journal of Mechanical Design 106(2):235-241, 1984, doi:10.1115/1.3258585.
- Urbinati, F. and Pennestrì, E. , “Kinematic and Dynamic Analyses of the Tripode Joint,” Multibody System Dynamics 2(4):355-367, 1998, doi:10.1023/A:1009734924787.
- Mariot, J.P. and K'Nevez, J.Y. , “Kinematics of Tripode Transmissions. A New Approach,” Multibody System Dynamics 3(1):85-105, 1999, doi:10.1023/A:1009852606335.
- K'Nevez, J.Y., Mariot, J.P., Moreau, L., and Diaby, M. , “Kinematics of Transmissions Consisting of an Outboard Ball Joint and an Inboard Generalized Tripod Joint,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part K Journal of Multi-body Dynamics 215(3):119-132, 2001, doi:10.1243/1464419011544402.
- Mariot, J.P., K'Nevez, J.Y., and Barbedette, B. , “Tripod and Ball Joint Automotive Transmission Kinetostatic Model Including Friction,” Multibody System Dynamics 11(2):127-145, 2004, doi:10.1023/b:mubo.0000025412.15396.69.
- Jo, G.H., Kim, S.H., Dong, W.K., and Chu, C.N. , “Estimation of Generated Axial Force Considering Rolling-Sliding Friction in Tripod Type Constant Velocity Joint,” Tribology Transactions 1-12, 2018, doi:10.1080/10402004.2018.1439209.
- Watanabe, K., Kawakatsu, T., and Nakao, S. , “Kinematic and Static Analyses of Tripod Constant Velocity Joints of Spherical End Spider Type,” Journal of Mechanical Design 127(6):229-230, 2005, doi:10.1115/1.1909205.