This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Predictive Reference Governor for Synchronous Generator Regulation with a Pulsed Constant Power Load
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: AeroTech Americas
In this paper, first an analytical model of a synchronous generator with a pulsed constant power load (CPL) is developed and numerically compared with a detailed simulation model. The analytical model is shown to possess good predictive abilities, thus enabling its use for control purposes. Second, the generator has a proportionalintegral (PI) control inner-loop, whose task is to regulate the generator’s output voltage to a desired reference. A novel outer-loop predictive reference governor (PRG) is designed and tested via simulation. The PRG uses the analytical model to predict the output behavior of the generator over a short time window, and continuously modifies the reference given to the inner-loop in order to maintain stringent steady-state requirements, in spite of demanding power requirements at the CPL. Simulation results illustrate the significant performance advantages of using the PRG versus using the inner-loop PI controller alone. The paper also discusses challenges of implementing standard model predictive control (MPC) on this problem, thus further strengthening the case for the potential usefulness of the PRG.
CitationOrdonez, R., Zumberge, J., and Hencey, B., "A Predictive Reference Governor for Synchronous Generator Regulation with a Pulsed Constant Power Load," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1379, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1379.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Peterson, H.A. and Krause, P.C., “A Direct-and Quadrature-Axis Representation of a Parallel Ac and Dc Power System,” IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems PAS-85:210-225, 1966.
- Jadric, I., Borojevic, D., and Jadric, M., “Modeling and Control of a Synchronous Generator with an Active Dc Load,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 15:303-311, 2000.
- Qi, G., Chen, A., and Chen, J., “Improved Control Strategy of Interlinking Converters with Synchronous Generator Characteristic in Islanded Hybrid Ac/Dc Microgrid,” CPSS Transactions on Power Electronics and Applications 2(2):149-158, 2017.
- Babqiand, A.J. and Etemadi, A.H., “Mpc-Based Microgrid Control with Supplementary Fault Current Limitation and Smooth Transition Mechanisms,” IET Generation, Transmission Distribution 11(9):2164-2172, 2017.
- Chen, J., Wang, C., and Chen, J., “Investigation on the Selection of Electric Power System Architecture for Future More Electric Aircraft,” IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 99:1-1, 2018.
- Griffo, A., Wrobel, R., Mellor, P.H., and Yon, J.M., “Design and Characterization of a Three-Phase Brushless Exciter for Aircraft Starter/Generator,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 49:2106-2115, Sept 2013.
- Paul, A. Krause, C., Oleg Wasynczuk, A., Scott, A. et al., Analysis of Electric Machinery and Drive Systems, IEEE Press Series on Power Engineering, 75, Wiley, 2013.
- Jatskevich, J., Pekarek, S.D., and Davoudi, A., “Parametric Average-Value Model of Synchronous Machine-Rectifier Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 21:9-18, 2006.
- Chiniforoosh, S., Atighechi, H., Davoudi, A., Jatskevich, J. et al., “Dynamic Average Modeling of Frontend Diode Rectifier Loads Considering Discontinuous Conduction Mode and Unbalanced Operation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 27:421-429, 2012.
- Herrera, L., Palmer, B., Yao, X., and Tsao, B.H., “Controller Design of Dc Microgrids with Multiple Sources and Constant Power Loads,” in 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Oct. 2017, 2625-2630.
- Kwasinskiand, A. and Onwuchekwa, C.N., “Dynamic Behavior and Stabilization of Dc Microgrids with Instantaneous Constant-Power Loads,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 26:822-834, 2011.
- Magne, P., Marx, D., Nahid-Mobarakeh, B., and Pierfederici, S., “Large-Signal Stabilization of a Dc- Link Supplying a Constant Power Load Using a Virtual Capacitor: Impact on the Domain of Attraction,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 48:878-887, 2012.
- Santiago, W. and Birchenough, A., “Single Phase Passive Rectification Versus Active Rectification Applied to High Power Stirling Engines,” in 3rd International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference (IECEC), San Francisco, CA, Aug. 2005, AIAA.
- Hasanzadeh, A., Edrington, C.S., Soto, D.M., and Rivera, G.M., “Comparative Study of Intensive Pulse Load Impact on Active and Passive Rectification System in Mvdc Ship Power Generation Unit,” in 2013 International Electric Machines Drives Conference, May 2013, 1326-1332.
- Vilathgamuwa, D.M. and Jayasinghe, S.D.G., “Rectifier Systems for Variable Speed Wind Generation - A Review,” in 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, May 2012, 1058-1065.
- Camacho, E.F. and Bordons, C., Model predictive control. Advanced Textbooks in Control and Signal Processing (London; New York: Springer, 2004).
- Rawlings, J.B., Mayne, D.Q., and Diehl, M.M., Model Predictive Control: Theory, Computation, and Design Second Edition (Nob Hill Publishing, 2017).
- Guerrero, J.M., Vasquez, J.C., Matas, J., de Vicuna, L.G. et al., “Hierarchical Control of Droop- Controlled Ac and Dc Microgrids: A General Approach Toward Standardization,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 58:158-172, 2011.
- Wang, Y., Wang, C., Xu, L., Meng, J. et al., “Adjustable Inertial Response from the Converter with Adaptive Droop Control in Dc Grids,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 99:1-1, 2018.
- Gao, F., Zheng, X., and Bozhko, S., “Stability Assessment of a Droop-Controlled Multi-Generator Electrical Power System in the More Electric Aircraft Using Parameter Space Approach,” in 2016 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Sep. 2016, 1-8.
- Marchiano, M., Rayworth, D.M.J., Alegria, E., and Undrill, J., “Power Generation Load Sharing Using Droop Control in an Island System,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 54:1890-1898, 2018.
- Fitzgerald, A.E., Kingsley, C., and Umans, S.D., Electric Machinery, . McGraw-Hill Series in Electrical Engineering: Power and Energy (Boston, MA: McGraw Hill, 2002).
- Department of Defense, “Aircraft Electric Power Characteristics,” 2004.
- Mathworks, “Simscape,” https://www.mathworks.com/products/simscape.html.
- Dunham, W., Hencey, B., Kolmanovsky, I., and Girard A., “Predictive Propulsion and Power Control for Large Transient Power Loads in a More Electric Aircraft,” in 2017 American Control Conference (ACC), May 2017, 4055-4061.
- Spooner, J.T., Maggiore, M., Ordonez, R., and Passino, K.M., Stable Adaptive Control and Estimation for Nonlinear Systems: Neural and Fuzzy Approximation Techniques (New York, NY: Wiley-Interscience, 2002).
- Jin, Z., Meng, L., and Guerrero, J.M., “Comparative Admittance-Based Analysis for Different Droop Control Approaches in Dc Microgrids,” in 2017 IEEE Second International Conference on DC Microgrids (ICDCM), June 2017, 515-522.
- Herrera, L., Zhang, W., and Wang, J., “Stability Analysis and Controller Design of Dc Microgrids with Constant Power Loads,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 8:881-888, 2017.