This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SOC Estimation of Battery Pack Considering Cell Inconsistency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Range anxiety problem has always been one of the biggest concern of consumers for pure electric vehicles. Accurate driving range prediction is based on accurate lithium-ion battery pack SOC (State of Charge) estimation. In this article, a complete SOC estimation algorithm is proposed from cell level to battery pack level. To begin with, the equivalent circuit model (ECM) is applied as the model of battery cell. ECM parameters are identified every 10% SOC interval through genetic algorithm. The dual extended Kalman filtering (DEKF) algorithm is adopted for cell-level SOC and ohmic resistance R0 estimation. The estimation accuracy of cell SOC and R0 is verified under NEDC dynamic working condition. The cell-level SOC estimation error is below 1%. However, cell inconsistency can always result in inaccurate cell SOC estimation inside the battery pack. The impact of initial SOC inconsistency and internal resistance inconsistency between cells on battery pack SOC is specifically analyzed. Considering cell inconsistency, dual time-scale dual extended Kalman filtering (DTSDEKF) algorithm based on “Specific Cell and Difference Model” (“S&D model”) is introduced to help accurately estimate cell SOC inside the battery pack: In the first time scale, DEKF algorithm is used to estimate current SOC and R0 of “Specific Cell”. In the second time scale, the correction of the cell inconsistency is added, which involves the SOC difference between the remaining cells and the “Specific Cell”, as well as R0 of all cells. Finally, the DTSDEKF algorithm based on “S&D model” is verified through NEDC dynamic working condition. The SOC estimation error of each cell inside the battery pack is below 1%.
CitationYang, C., Wei, X., Fang, Q., and Dai, H., "SOC Estimation of Battery Pack Considering Cell Inconsistency," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1309, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1309.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Neubauer, J. and Wood, E., “The Impact of Range Anxiety and Home, Workplace, and Public Charging Infrastructure on Simulated Battery Electric Vehicle Lifetime Utility,” Journal of Power Sources 257(3):12-20, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.01.075.
- Xu, J., “State of Charge Accurate Estimation Based on Kalman Filtering for Power Battery,” Master thesis, Hangzhou Dianzi University, China, 2009.
- Tang, T.F., “SOC Estimation Algorithm of Lithum Batteries for Electric Vehicle and Research of Uniformity of Battery Strings,” Master thesis, Chongqing University, China, 2011.
- Gao, M.Y., “Study on Models and Methods for Online Estimation of State of Charge of Power Battery Pack,” Ph.D. thesis, Wuhan University of Technology, China, 2013.
- He, Y., “Research on the State Estimation and Management System Technology of High-Power Li-ion Batteries,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Science and Technology of China, China, 2012.
- Xu, L., “Research on SOC Estimation and Applications for Li-ion Battery Pack,” Master thesis, National University of Defense Technology, China, 2013.
- Zhang, H.L., “Research for State of Charge Estimation Algorithms of Lithium-ion Battery based on equivalent circuit model,” Master thesis, Southwest University of Science and Technology, China, 2016.
- Guo, X.W., “Study on state of charge estimation and equalization technique of electric vehicle battery,” Ph.D. thesis, South China University of Technology, China, 2016.
- Xue, H., “The Research on the Method of Power Lithium-Ion Battery Pack State-of-Health Estimation,” Master thesis, Jilin University, China, 2013.
- Zhao, T., “On-Line State of Charge Estimation of Power Lithium-Ion Battery Packs,” Master thesis, Beijing Jiaotong University, China, 2016.
- Roscher, M.A., Bohlen, O.S., and Sauer, D.U., “Reliable State Estimation of Multicell Lithium-Ion Battery Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 26(3):737-743, 2011, doi:10.1109/TEC.2011.2155657.
- Dai, H., Guo, P., Wei, X. et al., “ANFIS (Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System) Based Online SOC (State of Charge) Correction Considering Cell Divergence for the EV (Electric Vehicle) Traction Batteries,” Energy 80:350-360, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2014.11.077.
- Zhong, L., Zhang, C., He, Y. et al., “A method for the estimation of the battery pack state of charge based on in-pack cells uniformity analysis,” Applied Energy 113(1):558-564, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.08.008.
- Dai, H., Wei, X., Sun, Z. et al., “Online Cell SOC Estimation of Li-Ion Battery Packs Using a Dual Time-Scale Kalman Filtering for EV Applications,” Applied Energy 95(2):227-237, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.02.044.
- Sun, F. and Xiong, R., “A Novel Dual-Scale Cell State-of-Charge Estimation Approach for Series-Connected Battery Pack Used in Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 274:582-594, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.10.119.
- Sun, F., Xiong, R., and He, H., “A Systematic State-of-Charge Estimation Framework for Multi-Cell Battery Pack in Electric Vehicles Using Bias Correction Technique,” Applied Energy 162:1399-1409, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.12.021.
- Johnson, V.H., “Battery Performance Models in ADVISOR,” Journal of Power Sources 110(2):321-329, 2002, doi:10.1016/S0378-7753(02)00194-5.
- Wan, E.A. and Nelson, A.T., “Neural Dual Extended Kalman Filtering: Applications in Speech Enhancement and Monaural Blind Signal Separation,” Neural Networks for Signal Processing IEEE466-475, 1997.
- Dai, H.F., “Research and Implementation of the SOC Estimation Algorithm for the Power Batteries Used on Electric Vehicles,” Ph.D. thesis, Tongji University, China, 2008.
- Chen, Z., Mi, C.C., Fu, Y.H. et al., “Online Battery State of Health Estimation Based on Genetic Algorithm for Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Applications,” Journal of Power Sources 240(1):184-192, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.03.158.
- Holland, J.H., Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1992).