This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Composite Components for Vehicle Lightweight: Springs, Wishbones, Low-Cost Hydrogen Tanks, Demise of Astronautic Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
SARDOU SAS has invented in 1992 composite “C” springs (patented in 1993), these springs where offering a high energy density of 1350 joules per kilogram (compared to 300 for steel springs). This huge energy density means a potential 78% weight savings! But in the last century, weight saving was less important and platform managers were reluctant to use anything other than coil springs. So, in 2002, in order to comply with their wishes, SARDOU SAS invented composite coils springs. Easy to fit in standard suspensions, Composite coils springs are the optimum choice for McPherson-strut suspensions. As weight saving is now mandatory, composite springs, are the best choice for automotive suspensions, offering a 50% weight saving compared to steel. A Joint Venture, between SARDOU and SOGEFI Suspensions SA called S.ARA, was created in 2008 in order to mass produce composite coils springs; the official Start Of Production happen in 2014 for AUDI. This SOP has demonstrated the viability of producing composite springs. This paper describes the benefits of composite springs including the so called ‘C’ springs, it also describes composite wishbone light weighting potential and low-cost mass-produced high-pressure hydrogen tanks.
CitationSardou, M., "Composite Components for Vehicle Lightweight: Springs, Wishbones, Low-Cost Hydrogen Tanks, Demise of Astronautic Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1276, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1276.
- Sardou, M.A., Labbe, T., and Stadler, C., “Composite Compression Springs: The Challenger of Helicoidal (Steel) Springs, 11/01/1994, SAE Truck & Bus Meeting.
- Sardou, M.A. and Djomseu, P., “Light and Low-Cost Composite Compression C Springs for Vehicle Suspension,” 03/06/2000, SAE World Congress, Detroit, 2000-01-0100.
- Sardou, M.A., Damotte, E.S., Djomseu, P., and Zunino, C., “Light Weight, Low Cost Composite Coil Springs are a Reality,” 04/11/2005, SAE World Congress, Detroit, 2005-01-1698.
- Sardou, M.A. and Djomseu, P., “EPOSIL® for Automotive Suspension Components, Coils Springs and High-Pressure Vessels,” SAE World Congress, Detroit, 2015-01-0726.
- Sardou, M.A., Djomseu, P., and Berg, T., “Composite Springs for: Suspension Vehicles, Spacecraft Stage Separation, and Satellite Ejection on Orbit,” 4/10/2018, SAE World Congress, Detroit, 2018-01-0150.