This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of the Spatial Rotation Angle in the Ball Joint
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Precision spherical joints are widely employed in parallel mechanisms, but its rotation orientation and angle can not be known in its passive motion. Measurement of multi-dimensional angular displacement will be very of great significance in the prediction, feedback and control of motion errors of parallel mechanism. Based on the magnetic effect, a new method to identify the orientation and rotation angle with Hall sensors array matched by permanent magnet is proposed. The basic idea is embedding a permanent magnet(PM) in the ball head and several hall sensors are distributed in the ball socket. When the ball head carrying the permanent magnet rotates together, the Hall sensors array will detect the variation of magnetic induction intensity, and then the angle can be calculated by mathematics model. An embedded prototype is developed after finishing the theoretical modeling, simulation calculation and feasibility experiment, the real-time measurement of the spherical hinge rotation angle has been realized and improved by optimizing the inverse algorithm and the signal redundancy calculation. The experiment results indicated that the average error of single axis is about 0.21°in the range of ±10°, and the average error is about 0.39°in ±20°. The main error source has been smelled out from the experiment data, and a new way to further improve performance of the spherical joint has been found. The measuring accuracy is very likely to reach or exceed 15" in nearly future, which will be helpful for the measuring method to apply in the precision engineering.
CitationHu, P., Zhang, Y., and Lu, Z., "Measurement of the Spatial Rotation Angle in the Ball Joint," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1271, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1271.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Penghao , H. , Li , W. , liang , Z. , and Huaxia , D. A Measuring Method for Ball Joint Spatial Rotation Angle ICMT 27 4 341 349 2015
- Linghui , Y. , Xueyou , Y. , Jigui , Z. , Muqiong , D. , and Dabao , L. Novel Method for Spatial Angle Measurement Based on Rotating Planar Laser Beams Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 23 6 758 764 2015
- Lee , D.V. and Velinsky , S.A. Analysis and Experimental Verification of a Three-Dimensional Noncontacting Angular Motion Sensor Mechatron 12 6 612 622 2008
- Lee , K.M. , Son , H. , and Park , J.K. Design Analysis of a Spherical Magnetic Bearing for Multi-DOF Rotational Stage Applications International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference 785 792 2007
- Stein , D. , Scheinerman , E.R. , and Chirikjian , G.S. Mathematical Models of Binary Spherical-Motion Encoders Mechatron 8 2 234 244 2003
- Stein , D. , Chirikjian , G.S. , and Scheinerman , E.R. Theory, Design, and Implementation of a Spherical Encoder IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation 2001 vol. 2 1773 1779
- Eaton , H.L. and Ferrari , P.A. 2012
- Haibo , G. , Zhongchao , L. , Liang , D. , Zongquan , D. , and Jianjun , Q. Imitation Device of 2-dimesional Inclination with Function of Kinematics Decoupling Journal of Mechanical Engineering 48 19 1 9 2012
- Hu , P. , Shuaipeng , L. , Peng , Z. , and Wang , L. 2014
- Shuaipeng , L. Measurement Principle and Research on Key Technologies of Intelligent Ball Joint Hefei University of Technology 2014
- Hu , P. and Shanlin , L. 2012