This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Instrumented Steering Wheel for Accurate ADAS Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We introduce in this paper a new Instrumented Steering Wheel (ISW) for ADAS development. The ISW has been designed, constructed and employed with satisfactory results. The ISW is able to measure three forces, three moments and the grip force at each hand of the driver. The ISW has been used for ADAS activities on an instrumented road vehicle. The aim was to use both the vehicle states and the ISW data for evaluating the driver behaviour. Two research activities were performed. The first activity refers to monitoring the driver behaviour during tests on a track. The second activity refers to the use of haptic ISWs, able to improve the ADAS systems.
Referring to the first activity, the greatest majority of drivers applied always the same sequence of forces (pull, radial, tangential) either during emergency manoeuvres, either during slow speed curving.
Referring to the second activity, we found that, by exploiting an ISW, the driver steering purpose could be inferred, before the steering wheel is rotated.
CitationMastinu, G., Gobbi, M., Comolli, F., and Hada, M., "Instrumented Steering Wheel for Accurate ADAS Development," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1241, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1241.
- Kim , J.H. and Song , J.B. Control Logic for an Electric Power Steering System Using Assist Motor Mechatronics 12 3 447 459 2002 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0957-4158(01)00004-6
- Lee , M.H. , Lee , H.M. , Lee , K.S. , Ha , S.K. et al. Development of a Hardware in the Loop Simulation System for Electric Power Steering in Vehicles International Journal of Automotive Technology 12 5 733 744 2011 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-011-0085-x
- Abdul Rahim , H. , Yusop , Z. , and Abdul Rahim , R. Drowsy Driver Detection via Steering Wheel Sensors & Transducers Journal 120 9 119 133 2010
- Lin , Y. , Leng , H. , Yang , G. , and Cai , H. An Intelligent Noninvasive Sensor for Driver Pulse Wave Measurement IEEE Sensors Journal 7 5 790 799 2007 https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2007.894923
- Baronti , F. , Lenzi , F. , Roncella , R. , and Saletti , R. Distributed Sensor for Steering Wheel Grip Force Measurement in Driver Fatigue Detection Proceedings of the Conference on Design, Automation and Test in Europe. European Design and Automation Association 2009 894 897 https://doi.org/10.1109/DATE.2009.5090790
- Eksioglu , M. and Kızılaslan , K. Steering-Wheel Grip Force Characteristics of Drivers as a Function of Gender, Speed and Road Condition International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 38 3-4 354 361 2008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2008.01.004
- Garinei , A. and Marsili , R. Development of a New Capacitive Matrix for a Steering Wheel’s Pressure Distribution Measurement International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 44 1 114 119 2014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2013.11.012
- Park , J. Plastic Optical Fiber Sensor for Measuring Driver-Gripping Force Optical Engineering 50 2 20501 2011 https://doi.org/10.1117/1.3542040
- Pick , A.J. Neuromuscular Dynamics and the Vehicle Steering Task Cambridge University 2004
- Gabrielli , F. , Pudlo , P. , and Djemai , M. Instrumented Steering Wheel for Biomechanical Measurements Mechatronics 22 5 639 650 2012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechatronics.2012.02.006
- Schiro , J. , Gabrielli , F. , Pudlo , P. , Barbier , F. et al. Normal/Tangential Force Proportion during Steering under Simulation Condition Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering 15 sup1 243 245 2012 https://doi.org/10.1080/10255842.2012.713652
- Hada , M. , Yamada , D. , and Tsuji , T. Equivalent Inertia of Human-Machine Systems under Constraint Environments Transactions of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers 42 2 156 163 2006 https://doi.org/10.9746/sicetr1965.42.156
- Hada M. , Yamada , D. , and Tsuji , T. An Analysis of Equivalent Impedance Characteristics by Modeling the Human Musculoskeletal Structure as a Multibody System MULTIBODY DYNAMICS 2007, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference 2007
- Gobbi , M. , Comolli , F. , Hada , M. , and Mastinu , G. An Instrumented Steering Wheel for Driver Model Development Mechatronics 2018
- Comolli , F. , Ballo F. , Gobbi , M. , and Mastinu , G. Instrumented Steering Wheel - Accurate Characterisation of the Forces Exerted by the Driver Hands for Future Advanced Driver Assistance Systems ASME 2018 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference V003T01A006 V003T01A006 https://doi.org/10.1115/DETC2018-85931
- Mastinu , G. , Gobbi , M. , and Previati , G. A New Six-Axis Load Cell. Part I: Design Experimental Mechanics 51 3 373 388 2011 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11340-010-9355-1
- Gobbi , M. , Previati , G. , Guarnieri , P. , and Mastinu , G. A New Six-Axis Load Cell. Part II: Error Analysis, Construction and Experimental Assessment of Performances Experimental Mechanics 51 3 389 399 2011 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11340-010-9350-6
- Ballo , F. , Gobbi , M. , Mastinu , G. , and Previati , G. Advances in Force and Moments Measurements by an Innovative Six-Axis Load Cell Experimental Mechanics 54 4 571 592 2014 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11340-013-9824-4
- Serrano , F. 2018
- Planing , P. Innovation Acceptance: The Case of Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems Gabler Vlg 2014 978-3-658-05004-7
- Waschl , H. , Kolmanovsky , I. , and Willems , F. Control Strategies for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems and Autonomous Driving Functions Springer Vlg 2019 978-3-319-91568-5
- Cole , D.J. Occupant-Vehicle Dynamics and the Role of the Internal Model Vehicle System Dynamics 56 5 661 688 2018 https://doi.org/10.1080/00423114.2017.1398342
- NHTSA 2005