This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Microwave Enhancement of Lean/Dilute Combustion in a Constant-Volume Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
High dilution engines have been shown to have a significant fuel economy improvement over their non-dilute counterparts. Much of this improvement comes through an increase in compression ratio enabled by the high knock resistance from high dilution. Unfortunately, the same reduction in reactivity that leads to the knock reduction also reduces flame speed, leading to the engine becoming unstable at high dilution rates. Advanced ignition systems have been shown to improve engine stability, but their impact is limited to the area at, or very near, the spark plug. To further improve the dilute combustion, a system in which a microwave field is established in the combustion chamber is proposed. This standing electric field has been shown, in other applications, to improve dilution tolerance and increase the burning velocity. The purpose of this study is to determine if a standard microwave generator can be used to couple microwaves into an engine-like combustion chamber, and if it can determine the level of combustion enhancement available at dilute conditions.
For this application, a monopole antenna was designed to couple 2.45-GHz microwave pulses into a constant-volume combustion chamber, creating standing waves that enhanced the combustion of air/isooctane mixtures ignited by a spark plug. Microwave-enhanced combustion (MEC) was quantified by heat-release rate, duration of different combustion phases, and cyclic variability for many combinations of pulse energy, microwave timing, initial pressure, air/fuel equivalence ratio (AFR), and degree of exhaust-gas recirculation (EGR). MEC reduced flame-development time by 24% for AFR = 0.8 and 0% EGR. MEC also effectively improved combustion stability for both lean and stoichiometric mixtures with 20% EGR.
|Technical Paper||Pulsed Combustion Jet Ignition in Lean Mixtures|
|Technical Paper||Plasma Jet Ignition of Lean Mixtures|
CitationLuo, Y., Alger, T., Mangold, B., Gingrich, J. et al., "Microwave Enhancement of Lean/Dilute Combustion in a Constant-Volume Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1198, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1198.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Fischer , M. , Kreutziger , P. , Sun , Y. , and Kotrba , A. Clean EGR for Gasoline Engines - Innovative Approach to Efficiency Improvement and Emissions Reduction Simultaneously SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0683 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0683
- Alger , T. , Gingrich , J. , Mangold , B. , and Roberts , C. A Continuous Discharge Ignition System for EGR Limit Extension in SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 677 692 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0661
- Chen , W. , Madison , D. , Dice , P. , Naber , J. et al. Impact of Ignition Energy Phasing and Spark Gap on Combustion in a Homogenous Direct Injection Gasoline SI Engine Near the EGR Limit SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1630 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1630
- Yoshihara , Y. , Nakata , K. , Takahashi , D. , Omura , T. et al. Development of High Tumble Intake-Port for High Thermal Efficiency Engines SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0692 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0692
- Zhao , J. Research and Application of Over-Expansion Cycle (Atkinson and Miller) Engines - A Review Applied Energy 185 2017 10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.10.063
- Azimov , U. , Tomita , E. , and Kawahara , N. Ignition, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Micro-pilot Ignited Dual-fuel Engine Operated under PREMIER Combustion Mode SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1764 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1764
- Nandakumar Kartha , B. , Vijaykumar , S. , and Reddemreddy , P. Thermodynamic Split of Losses Analysis of a Single Cylinder Gasoline Engine with Multiple Spark Plug - Ignition Coil Configurations SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0008 2016 10.4271/2016-32-0008
- Yamanaka , K. , Shiraga , Y. , and Nakai , S. Development of Pre-chamber Sparkplug for Gas Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1870 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1870
- Cimarello , A. , Grimaldi , C. , Mariani , F. , Battistoni , M. et al. Analysis of RF Corona Ignition in Lean Operating Conditions Using an Optical Access Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0673 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0673
- Ogata , K. A High Energy Ignition System for EGR Combustion Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0675 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0675
- Yu , S. , Xie , K. , Yu , X. , Wang , M. et al. High Energy Ignition Strategies for Diluted Mixtures via a Three-Pole Igniter SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2175 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2175
- Groff , E.G. and Krage , M.K. General Motors Laboratories Microwave Effects on Premixed Flames, Combustion and Flame 56 293 306 1984
- Wolk , B. , DeFilippo , A. , Chen , J.-Y. , Dibble , R. et al. Enhancement of Flame Development by Microwave-Assisted Spark Ignition in Constant Volume Combustion Chamber Combustion and Flame 160 7 1225 1234 2013
- Hwang , J. , Bae , C. , Park , J. , Choe , W. et al. Microwave-Assisted Plasma Ignition in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber Combustion and Flame 167 86 96 2016
- Balanis , C. Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics Second 2012 549 566
- Aykan , A. Calibration of Circular Loop Antennas IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 47 2 446 452 1998 10.1109/19.744189
- Balanis , C. Antenna Theory Analysis and Design Third 2005 151 165