This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Coordinated Air-Fuel Path Control in a Diesel-E85 RCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) combines very high thermal efficiencies with ultra-low engine out NOx and PM emissions. Moreover, it enables the use of a wide range of fuels. As this pre-mixed combustion concept relies on controlled auto-ignition, closed-loop combustion control is essential to guarantee safe and stable operation under varying operating conditions.
This work presents a coordinated air-fuel path controller for RCCI operation in a multi-cylinder heavy-duty engine. This is an essential step towards real-world application. Up to now, transient RCCI studies focused on individual cylinder control of the fuel path only. A systematic, model-based approach is followed to design a multivariable RCCI controller. Using the Frequency Response Function (FRF) method, linear models are identified for the air path and for the combustion process in the individual cylinders. From timing and blend ratio (BR) sweeps, it is decided to realize the high-level control objectives by controlling CA50, IMEP, BR and λ. Based on the identified models, a static decoupling is designed for the combined air-fuel system. For the decoupled system, a PI air path controller and three next cycle PI fuel path controllers are designed.
The potential of the proposed control strategy is demonstrated on a six cylinder test set-up, which is equipped with the standard direct injection system for diesel and with an added port fuel injection system for E85. For engine speed and load steps, the RCCI controller is shown to have good tracking performance during transients. Compared to the open-loop control case, this controller is found to enhance combustion stability and to reduce THC and CO emissions.
CitationWillems, F., Kupper, F., Ramesh, S., Indrajuana, A. et al., "Coordinated Air-Fuel Path Control in a Diesel-E85 RCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1175, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1175.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- European Commission 2011
- Reitz , R.D. and Duraisamy , G. Review of High Efficiency and Clean Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 46 12 71 2015 10.1016/j.pecs.2014.05.003
- Hanson , R. , Spannbauer , S. , Gross , C. , Reitz , R.D. et al. Highway fuel economy testing of a RCCI series hybrid vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0837 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0837
- Olsson , J.-O. , Tunestål , P. , and Johansson , B. Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1031 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1031
- Hanson , R. and Reitz , R. Transient RCCI Operation in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 6 3 1694 1705 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0050
- Strandh , P. , Bengtsson , J. , Johansson , R. , Tunestål , P. et al. Cycle-to-Cycle Control of a Dual-Fuel HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0941 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0941
- Maurya , R.K. and Agarwal , A.V. Experimental Investigation of Close-Loop Control of HCCI Engine Using Dual Fuel Approach SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1675 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1675
- Arora , J. and Shahbakhti , M. Real-Time Closed-Loop Control of a Light-Duty RCCI Engine During Transient Operations SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0767 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0767
- Willems , F. Is Cylinder Pressure-Based Control Required to Meet Future HD Legislation? IFAC-PapersOnLine 51 31 111 118 2018
- Indrajuana , A. , Bekdemir , C. , Feru , E. , and Willems , F. Towards Model-Based Control of RCCI-CDF Mode-Switching in Dual Fuel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0263 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0263
- Wilhelmsson , C. , Tunestål , P. , and Johansson , B. Model Based Engine Control Using ASICs: A Virtual Heat Release Sensor Les Rencontres Scientifiques de l'IFP: New Trends in Engine Control, Simulation and Modelling 2006
- Willems , F. , Doosje , E. , Engels , F. , and Seykens , X. Cylinder Pressure-Based Control in Heavy-Duty EGR Diesel Engines Using a Virtual Heat Release and Emission Sensor SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0564 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0564
- Criens , C. , van Keulen , T. , Willems , F. , and Steinbuch , M. A Control Oriented Multivariable Identification Procedure for Turbocharged Diesel Engines Int. J. Powertrains 5 2 95 119 2016 10.1504/IJPT.2016.076560
- Skogestad , S. and Postlethwaite , I. Multivariable Feedback Control: Analysis and Design John Wiley & Sons, Ltd 2005