This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Engine Performance Parameters and Exhaust Emissions in CI Engine Fuelled with Soapnut Bio-Diesel Blend Using Artificial Neural Networks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With fossil fuels depleting at a fast rate and global temperatures attaining an all-time high, search for alternative fuels, to drive the vehicles of tomorrow, has become more rampant. Bio-diesels made from different animal and plant stocks, due to their similar properties to diesel fuel, thus are of great interest to researchers. With reduced CO, NOx, PM and other toxic emissions thereby decreasing health costs, bio-diesel is the ideal alternative to save the environment from further deterioration. In this study, Bio-diesel is produced from non-edible vegetable oil produced from Soapnut which though widely available in India, is otherwise considered waste. Using the oil from Soapnut seeds is not only a scheme for converting waste to wealth and earn commercial gains but also a vital source of biodiesel due to high oil content. The Artificial Neural Network (ANN) technique is used here to optimize the performance and control the harmful emissions from a CI engine operating on this Soapnut oil-diesel blend. Input parameters used are Engine rpm, fuel properties and density of the fuel. Comparing these with the experimental results it has been found that ANN can be effectively used for optimizing the performance and emissions of a Soapnut oil-fuelled Diesel Engine.
CitationAgrawal, S. and Gautam, R., "Optimization of Engine Performance Parameters and Exhaust Emissions in CI Engine Fuelled with Soapnut Bio-Diesel Blend Using Artificial Neural Networks," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1167, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1167.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Vinay, K.D., Ravi Kumar, P.M., and Santosha, K., “Prediction of Performance and Emissions of a Biodiesel Fuelled Lanthanum Zirconate Coated Direct Injection Diesel Engine Using Artificial Neural Networks,” Procedia Engineering 64:993-1002, 2013.
- Metin, G., Cenk, S., and Mustafa, C., “The Impact of Fuel Injection Pressure on the Exhaust Emissions of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel-Diesel Fuel Blends,” DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.11.020.
- Obie, F., Nur, H., and Yukihiko, M., “Artificial Neural Network Modeling to Predict Biodiesel Production in Supercritical Methanol and Ethanol Using Spiral Reactor,” Procedia Environmental Sciences 28:214-223, 2015.
- Devan, P.K. and Mahalakshmi, N.V., “Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Poon Oil and Its Diesel Blends in a DI Diesel Engine,” Fuel 88:861-867, 2009.
- Mishra, R.D. and Murthy, M.S., “Performance, Emission and Combustion Evaluation of Soapnut Oil-Diesel Blends in a Compression Ignition Engine,” DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.03.003= 24,20).
- Babu, A.K. and Devarajane, G., “Vegetable Oils and Their Derivatives as Fuels for CI Engines: An Overview,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0767, 2013, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0767.
- Hossain, A.K. and Davies, P.A., “Plant Oils as Fuels for CI engines: A Technical Review and Life Cycle Analysis,” Renewable Energy 35:1-13, 2010.
- Mathiarasi, R., Mugesh, C., and Kanna, N.P., “Transesterification of Soap Nut Oil Using Novel Catalyst,” DOI: 10.1016/j.jscs.2013.07.006.
- Yi-Hung, C., Tsung-Han, C., and Jhih-Hong, C., “An Optimum Biodiesel Combination: Jatropha and Soapnut Oil Biodiesel Blends,” DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.08.018.
- Ghobadian, B. et al., “Diesel Engine Performance and Exhaust Emission Analysis Using Waste Cooking Biodiesel Fuel with an Artificial Neural Network,” Elsevier Journal.
- Awen, B.Z., Ganapathy, S., Babu Rao, C. et al., “Influence of Sapindus mukorossi on the Permeability of Ethyl Cellulose Free Films for Transdermal Use,” Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences.
- Rao, K.J. and Paria, S., “Non-Edible Plant Oils as New Sources for Biodiesel Production,” Journal of Phys Chem. B 113:474-481, 2009.
- Chhetri, A.B., Tango, M.S., Budge, M.S., Watts, K.C., and Islam, M.R., “Non-Edible Plant Oils as New Sources for Biodiesel Production,” Int. Journal of Molecular Science 9(2):169-180, 2008.
- Kumar, A. and Sharma, S., “Potential Non-Edible Oil Resources as Biodiesel Feedstock: An Indian Perspective,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15(4):1791-1800, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2010.11.020=70.
- Shiva, K., Srinivasa, P., and Shrinivasa, B.R., “Prediction of Performance and Emission parameters of a Biodiesel Engine -A Comparison of Neural Networks,” ICMAME 2013:107-111.
- Yi-Hung, C., Tsung-Han, C., and Jhih-Hong, C., “Properties of Soapnut (Sapindus mukorossi) Oil Biodiesel and Its Blends with Diesel),” DOI:10.1016/j.biombioe.2013.02.025.
- Lippmann, R., “Book Review: ‘Neural Networks, A Comprehensive Foundation’,” by Simon Haykin, International Journal of Neural Systems 05:363-364, 1994, DOI:1142/s0129065794000372.
- Srinath, P., Krishnaprasad, Abdul, S., and Kumar, S., “Emission Analysis of a Diesel Engine Using ANN-A Review,” in NCAMES, 2016, 123-129, ISSN: 2231-5381.
- Khalil, H., Zul, I., Surya, D., and Mahendra, V., “Optimization of Biodiesel Production from Brucea javanica Seed Oil as Novel Non-Edible Feedstock Using Response Surface Methodology,” DOI: 10.1016/j.enconman.2017.07.037.
- Kumar, R.S., Manimaran, R. and Gopalakrishnan, V., “Performance and Emission Analysis Using Pongamia Oil Biodiesel Fuel with an Artificial Neural Network,” Advanced Engineering, and Applied Sciences: An International Journal 3:17-20, 2013, ISSN 2320-3927.
- Javed, S., Murthy, Y.V.V.S., Baig, R.U., and Rao, D.P., “Development of ANN Model for Prediction of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Hydrogen Dual Fuelled Diesel Engine with Jatropha Methyl Ester Biodiesel Blends,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 26:549-557, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.jngse.2015.06.041.
- http://staff.ttu.ee/~jmajak/Neural_networks_basics_.pdf accessed on 16/10/18.
- Badday, A.S., Abdullah, A.Z., and Lee, K.T., “Artificial Neural Network Approach for Modeling of Ultrasound-Assisted Transesterification Process of Crude Jatropha Oil Catalyzed by Heteropoly Acid-Based Catalyst,” Chem. Eng. Process. 75:31-37, 2014.
- Hagan, M.T., Demuth, H.B., and Beale, M., Neural Network Design (Boston: PWS Publishing Company, 1995).
- Researchgate.net: Soapnut tree (Haryana-online.com, accessed 2/9/2018).
- Bekir, C. and Selman, D., “An Application of Artificial Neural Network for Predicting Engine Torque in a Biodiesel Engine,” American Journal of Energy Research 2(4):74-80, 2014, doi:10.12691/ajer-2-4-1.
- Hidayet, O., Ismail, S., Hakan, E., “Prediction of Diesel Engine Performance Using Biofuels with Artificial Neural Network,” DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2010.02.128.
- Amit, K.T., Mer, K.K.S., and Ajay, K., “An Artificial Neural Network Approach to Predict the Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Gasoline Engine Using Ethanol-Gasoline Blended Fuels,” DOI: 10.1080/17597269.2016.1271630.
- Abhishek, S., Pradeepta Kumar, S., Tripathi, R.K., and Meher, L.C., “ANN Based Prediction of Performance and Emission Characteristics of CI Engine Using Polanga as Biodiesel,” DOI: 10.1080/01430750.2015.1023466.
- Ilangkumaranab, M., Sakthivela, G., and Nagarajan, G., “Artificial Neural Network Approach to Predict the Engine Performance of Fish Oil Biodiesel with Diethyl Ether Using Backpropagation Algorithm,” DOI:10.1080/01430750.2014.984082.
- Channapattana, S.V., Abhay, A.P., and Prashant, G.K., “Optimisation of Operating Parameters of DI-CI Engine Fuelled with Second-Generation Bio-Fuel and Development of ANN-Based Prediction Model,” DOI:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.11.030
- Sukai, Y.S. et al., Artificial Neural Networks: An Efficient Tool for Modeling and Optimization of Biofuel Production (a Mini Review) (Taylor & Francis), doi:10.1080/13102818.2016.1269616.
- Goldberg, D.E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning (New York, NY: Addison-Wesley, 1989).
- Davis, L., Handbook of Genetic Algorithms (New York (NY): Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1991).
- Whiteman, J.K. and Gueguim Kana, E.B., “Comparative assessment of the Artificial Neural Network and Response Surface Modelling Efficiencies for Biohydrogen Production on Sugar Cane Molasses,” Bioenergy Res. 7(1):295-305, 2013.
- Kawade, G.H. et al., “Optimization of CI Engine Performance Parameters for Jatropha Biodiesel Blending Fuel by Using ANN Software,” International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) 02 (03):June-2015, e-ISSN:2395-0056.
- Carlos, A.C., “An Updated Survey of GA-Based Multiobjective Optimization Techniques,” ACM Computing Surveys 32(2), June 2000.
- Sivamani, S. et al., Artificial Neural Network-Genetic Algorithm-Based Optimization of Biodiesel Production from Simarouba glauca (Taylor & Francis), doi:10.1080/17597269.2018.1432267.
- Lucas, A., Duran, A., Carmona, M., and Lapuerta, M., “Modelling Diesel Particulate Emissions with Neural Networks,” Fuel 80:539-548, 2001.
- Channapattana, S.V. et al., “Optimisation of Operating Parameters of DI-CI Engine Fuelled with Second-Generation Bio-Fuel and Development of ANN-Based Prediction Model,” Applied Energy 187:84-95, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.11.030.
- Gen, M. and Cheng, R., Genetic Algorithms and Engineering Optimization. Vol. 7 (USA: John Wiley & Sons, 2000).
- Oğuz, H., Sarıtas, I., and Baydan, H.E., “Prediction of Diesel Engine Performance Using Biofuels with an Artificial Neural Network. Expert Systems with Applications,” 37(9):6579-6586, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2010.02.128.
- Saraee, S.H., Taghavifar, H., and Jafarmadar, S., “Experimental and Numerical Consideration of the Effect of CeO2 Nanoparticles on Diesel Engine Performance and Exhaust Emission with the Aid of Artificial Neural Network,” Applied Thermal Engineering 113:663-672, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.11.04.
- Machavaram, R.P., Jena, C., and Raheman, H., “Prediction of Optimized Pre-Treatment Process Parameters for Biodiesel Production Using ANN and GA,” 10.1016/j.fuel.2008.12.008.
- Shojaeefard, M.H. et al., “Artificial Neural Network Based Multi-Objective Evolutionary Optimization of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 2(4), 2012.