This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Review of Combustion Indexes Remote Sensing Applied to Different Combustion Types
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper summarizes the main studies carried out by the authors for the development of indexes for remote combustion sensing applicable to different combustion types, i.e. conventional gasoline and diesel combustions, diesel PCCI and dual fuel gasoline-diesel RCCI.
It is well-known that the continuous development of modern Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) management systems is mainly aimed at complying with upcoming increasingly stringent regulations throughout the world, both for pollutants and CO2 emissions.
Performing an efficient combustion control is crucial for efficiency increase and pollutant emissions reduction. Over the past years, the authors of this paper have developed several techniques to estimate the most important combustion indexes for combustion control, without using additional cylinder pressure sensors but only using the engine speed sensor (always available on board) and accelerometers (usually available on-board for gasoline engines). In addition, a low-cost sensor based on acoustic sensing can be integrated to support combustion indexes evaluation and other engine relevant information.
The real-time calculation of combustion indexes is even more crucial for innovative Low Temperature Combustions (such as diesel PCCI or dual fuel gasoline-diesel RCCI), mainly due to the high instability and the high sensitivity to slight variations of the injection parameters that characterize this kind of combustions. Therefore, the authors of this paper have applied the developed techniques not only to conventional engines (gasoline and diesel combustion), but also to engines modified for Low Temperature Combustions, with promising results in terms of validation and applicability for real-time combustion control.
The developed methodologies have been tested and validated through a large amount of experimental tests. To run the estimation algorithms in real-time, they have been all implemented in a specifically designed rapid control prototyping system, the goal being to quantify the accuracy of the estimations and optimize the strategy implementations for the extensive use (in the near future) in modern Engine Control Modules (ECM).
|Special Publication||Sl Combustion|
|Technical Paper||Insight on Early Spray Formation Process of a High-Pressure Swirl Injector for DISI Engines|
|Technical Paper||Stratification Features of Swirl Nozzle Sprays and Slit Nozzle Spray in DI Gasoline Combustion|
CitationDe Cesare, M., Ravaglioli, V., Carra, F., and Stola, F., "Review of Combustion Indexes Remote Sensing Applied to Different Combustion Types," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1132, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1132.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Curran , S. , Hanson , R. , Wagner , R. , and Reitz , R. Efficiency and Emissions Mapping of RCCI in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0289 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0289
- Kimura , S. , Aoki , O. , Kitahara , Y. , and Aiyoshizawa , E. Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0200 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0200
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Schnorbus , T. , Pischinger , S. , Körfer , T. , Lamping , M. et al. Diesel Combustion Control with Closed-Loop Control of the Injection Strategy SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0651 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0651
- Kolbeck , A.F. Closed Loop Combustion Control - Enabler of Future Refined Engine Performance Regarding Power, Efficiency, Emissions & NVH under Stringent Governmental Regulations SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0171 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0171
- Wu , Y. , Hanson , R. , and Reitz , R.D. Investigation of Combustion Phasing Control Strategy During Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Multicylinder Engine Load Transitions ASME. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 136 9 2014 091511-091511-10. doi:10.1115/1.4027190
- Kokjohn , S.L. , Hanson , R.M. , Splitter , D.A. , and Reitz , R.D. Fuel Reactivity-Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI): A Pathway to Controlled High-Efficiency Clean Combustion International Journal of Engine Research 12 3 209 226 2011
- Ravaglioli , V. , Ponti , F. , De Cesare , M. , Stola , F. et al. Combustion Indexes for Innovative Combustion Control SAE Int. J. Engines 10 5 2371 2381 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0079
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Serra , G. , and Stola , F. Instantaneous Engine Speed Measurement and Processing for MFB50 Evaluation SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 235 244 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2747
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Moro , D. , and Serra , G. MFB50 On-Board Estimation Methodology for Combustion Control Control Engineering Practice 21 1821 1829 2013 10.1016/j.conengprac.2013.05.001
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Cavina , N. , and De Cesare , M. Diesel Engine Combustion Sensing Methodology Based on Vibration Analysis ASME. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 136 11 111503 111503-7 2014 10.1115/1.4027363
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Stola , F. , and De Cesare , M. Engine Acoustic Emission Used as a Control Input: Applications to Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0613 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0613
- Ponti , F. , De Cesare , M. , and Ravaglioli , V. Development and Validation of a Methodology for Real-Time Evaluation of Cylinder by Cylinder Torque Production Non-Uniformities SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0145 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0145
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , De Cesare , M. , and Stola , F. Torque and Center of Combustion Evaluation Through a Torsional Model of the Powertrain ASME. J. Dyn. Sys. Meas. Control. 137 6 061005 061005-9 2015 10.1115/1.4029195
- Ravaglioli , V. , Ponti , F. , and Stola , F. Torsional Analysis of Different Powertrain Configurations for Torque and Combustion Phase Evaluation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1544 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1544
- Reitz , R.D. and Duraisamy , G. Review of High Efficiency and Clean Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2014 10.1016/j.pec20s. 14.05.003
- Kanda , T. , Hakozaki , T. , Uchimoto , T. , Hatano , J. et al. PCCI Operation with Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0378 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0378
- Hardy , W. and Reitz , R. A Study of the Effects of High EGR, High Equivalence Ratio, and Mixing Time on Emissions Levels in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine for PCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0026 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0026
- Torregrosa , A.J. , Broatch Jacobi , J.A. , García Martínez , A. , and Monico Muñoz , L.F. Sensitivity of Combustion Noise and NOx and Soot Emissions to Pilot Injection in PCCI Diesel Engines Applied Energy. 104 149 157 2013 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.11.040
- Gross , C. and Reitz , R. Investigation of Steady-State RCCI Operation in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Engine Using “Dieseline” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0761 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0761
- Polonowski , C. , Mathur , V. , Naber , J. , and Blough , J. Accelerometer Based Sensing of Combustion in a High Speed HPCR Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0972 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0972
- Arnone , L. , Boni , M. , Manelli , S. , Chiavola , O. et al. Block Vibration Measurements for Combustion Diagnosis in Multi-Cylinder Common Rail Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0646 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0646
- Busch , S. , Zha , K. , Miles , P. , Warey , A. et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Close-Coupled Pilot Injections to Reduce Combustion Noise in a Small-Bore Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 660 678 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0796
- Busch , S. , Zha , K. , Miles , P. , Warey , A. et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Close-Coupled Pilot Injections to Reduce Combustion Noise in a Small-Bore Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 8 2 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0796
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Moro , D. , and De Cesare , M. Diesel Engine Acoustic Emission Analysis for Combustion Control SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1338 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1338
- Shahlari , A. , Hocking , C. , Kurtz , E. , and Ghandhi , J. Comparison of Compression Ignition Engine Noise Metrics in Low-Temperature Combustion Regimes SAE Int. J. Engines 6 1 541 552 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1659
- Ravaglioli , V. , Stola , F. , De Cesare , M. , Ponti , F. et al. Injection Pattern Design for Real Time Control of Diesel Engine Acoustic Emission SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 10 1 308 316 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0596