Experimental Studies on Mechanical Properties of Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with Natural Fibres Ashes
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
Metal matrix composites have a large range of applications in the automobile industry due to its characteristics and properties. Al-based MMC have aluminum as matrix metal that has properties which are well concerned with the automobile industry. Some of these properties are high strength to weight ratio and lightweight. In this paper we are trying to develop aluminum-based metal matrix composite (MMC) reinforced with natural fibers ashes, we are using fine ashes of Sugarcane (bagasse), Groundnut Shell Ash (GSA), Rice Husk Ash (RHA) and Coconut shell (Jute) ash, different effects are investigated for different percentage of reinforcing material which is being produced by burning in a free atmosphere. Ball milling is used for making fine particle size of different natural fibers ash. Nine samples were made by the stir casting process consisting of Al6063 as base metal and different concentration of reinforcement. Maximum UTS was recorded for the specimen having composition 4% each reinforcement and balance aluminum 84%. Maximum yield Strength was found for the specimen having Coconut (jute) ash 4% and balance aluminum 96%. Maximum elongation % was found for the specimen having 4% RHA.
CitationButola, R., Malhotra, A., Yadav, M., Singari, R. et al., "Experimental Studies on Mechanical Properties of Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with Natural Fibres Ashes," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1123, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1123.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Alaneme, K.K. and Sanusi, K.O., “Microstructural Characteristics, Mechanical and Wear Behavior of Aluminum Matrix Hybrid Composites Reinforced with Alumina, Rice Husk Ash and Graphite,” Engineering Science and Technology, An International Journal 18(3):416-422, Sept. 2015.
- Hanumanth, G.S. and Irons, G.A., “Particle Incorporation by Melt Stirring for the Production of Metal-Matrix Composites,” Journal Mater Science 28:2459-2465, 1993.
- Siva Prasad, D. and Shoba, C., “Hybrid Composites - A Better Choice for High Wear Resistant Materials,” J Mater Res Technol 3(2):172-178, 2014.
- Alaneme, K.K. and Aluko, A.O., “Fracture Toughness (K1C) and Tensile Properties of As-Cast and Age-Hardened Aluminum (6063)-Silicon Carbide Particulate Composites,” Sci Iran Trans - A 19(4):992-996, 2012.
- Prasad, S.D. and Krishna, R.A., “Production and Mechanical Properties of A356.2/RHA Composites,” International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology 33:51-58, 2011.
- Prasad, S.D. and Krishna, R.A., “Tribological Properties of A356.2/RHA Composites,” Journal of Material Science and Technology 28:367-372, 2012.
- Boopathi, M., Arulshri, K.P., and Iyandurai, N., “Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Alloy 2024 Reinforced with Silicon Carbide and Fly Ash Hybrid Metal Matrix Composites,” Am J Appl Sci 10(3):219-229, 2013.
- Alanemea, K.K., Ademilua, B.O., and Bodunr, M.O., “Mechanical Properties and Corrosion Behavior of Aluminum Hybrid Composites Reinforced with Silicon Carbide and Bamboo Leaf Ash,” Tribol Ind 35(1):25-35, 2013.
- Chawla, N. and Shen, Y., “Mechanical Behavior of Particle Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites,” Adv Eng Mater 3:357-370, 2001.
- Alaneme, K.K., Bodunrin, M.O., and Awe, A.A., “Microstructure, Mechanical and Fracture Properties of Groundnut Shell Ash and Silicon Carbide Dispersion Strengthened Aluminum Matrix Composites,” Journal of King Saud University - Engineering Sciences, Jan. 21, 2016.
- Fernandes, I.J., Calheiro, D., Kieling, A.G., Moraes, C.A.M. et al., “Characterization of Rice Husk Ash Produced Using Different Biomass Combustion Techniques for Energy,” Fuel 165(1):351-359, Feb. 2016.
- Akui, S.Y., Yawasi, D.S., and Apasii, A., “Evaluation of Cast Al-Si-Fe Alloy/Coconut Shell Ash Particulate Composites,” Gazi University Journal of Science 26(3):449-457, 2013.
- Chaudhary, A., Dev, A.K., Goel, A., Butola, R. et al., “The Mechanical Properties of Different Alloys in Friction Stir Processing: A Review,” Material Today Proc. 5:5553-5562, 2018.
- Butola, R., Singari, R.M., Bandhu, A., and Walia, R.S., “Characteristics and Properties of Different Reinforcements in Hybrid Aluminium Composites: A Review,” IJAPIE 511:71-80, 2017.
- Sharma, V. and Butola, R., “Optimization of Machining Parameters in CNC Turning of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composites Using Different Techniques: A Review,” IJARI 5:78-82, 2017.
- Butola, R., Shamrao, D.M., and Singari, R.M., “Comparison Studies on Mechanical Properties of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite,” IJAPIE 3:52-56, 2018.
- Mohammed, L., “A Review on Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite and Its Applications,” http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/243947.
- Lakshumu Naidu, A. and Kona, S., “Experimental Study of the Mechanical Properties of Banana Fiber and Groundnut Shell Ash Reinforced Epoxy Hybrid Composite,” IJE Transactions A: Basics 31(4):659-665, Apr. 2018.
- Indira, K.N., “Mechanical Properties and Failure Topography of Banana Fiber PF Macrocomposites Fabricated by RTM and CM Techniques,” ISRN Polymer Science 2013, ArticleID 936048, 8pp., http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/936048.
- Thirumurugan, A., “Investigations on Aluminium Wire Mesh, Banana Fiber and Glass Fiber Reinforced Hybrid Composites,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology 9(42), Nov. 2016, doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i42/103306.
- Imran, M., Khan, A.R.A., Megeri, S., and Sadik, S., “Study of Hardness and Tensile Strength of Aluminium-7075 Percentage Varying Reinforced with Graphite and Bagasse-Ash Composites,” Resource-Efficient Technologies 2:81-88, 2016.