This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Loosening Lifetime and Residual Clamping Force Prediction Method on Bolted Joints and Evaluation Criterion of Clamping Force Level for Prevention of Loosening Failure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
To secure the reliability of bolted joints, high clamping force (axial tension) is required to prevent fatigue breakage or loosening failure, and so on. In this paper, at first, we observe the behavior of the initial clamping force decrease tendency (loosening phenomenon) obtained by tightening the bolt used in the actual machine (large forklift) during operation. Based on our previous research, there is a strong linear relationship on log-log paper of loosening phenomenon between decrease tendency of clamping force and distance travelled (or passage of time). By utilizing its properties, we show estimation method of residual clamping force such as "How much the clamping force is remaining after the tens of thousands of hours (kilometers)?" Also, a method for estimating loosening lifetime with respect to residual clamping force level is shown. Finally, we examine evaluation criteria such as "Is the residual clamping force sufficient for prevention of loosening failure?" The limit surface pressure is examined as the upper limit clamping force. As the lower limit clamping force, the allowable value of the external transverse force is examined.
CitationHareyama, S., Manabe, K., and Kobayashi, S., "Loosening Lifetime and Residual Clamping Force Prediction Method on Bolted Joints and Evaluation Criterion of Clamping Force Level for Prevention of Loosening Failure," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1111, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1111.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Hareyama, S., Manabe, K., and Nakashima, M. , “Improving Tightening Reliability on Bolted Joints for Calibrated Wrench Method (An Analysis on Optimum Tightening Torque by Confidence Limit Ellipse),” in Proceedings of ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Vol. 2B: Advanced Manufacturing, IMECE2013-63387, 2013, 12.
- Hareyama, S. and Manabe, K. , “Advantage of Elliptical Confidence Limit Method for Bolted Joint Tightening Reliability,” in Proceedings of ASME, IMECE2015-50729, 2015, 10.
- Hareyama, S., Manabe, K., Shimodaira, T., and Naganawa, T. , “Experimental Study to Verify Elliptical Confidence Limit Method for Bolted Joint Tightening,” in Proceedings of the ASME IMECE2016-66336, 2016, 9.
- Hareyama, S. and Manabe, K. , “Working Load Measurement and Analysis of Bolted Joint under Off-Road Vehicle Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1234, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1234.
- Hareyama, S., Manabe, K., Nakashima, K., Shimodaira, T., and Hoshi, A. , “Residual Clamping Force Estimation and Lifetime Prediction to Loosening Failure of Bolted Joints,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0479, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0479.
- Hareyama, S., Manabe, K., and Nakashima, M. , “The Absolute Evaluation and Loosening Life Prediction Method on Self-Loosening of Bolted Joints during Actual Machine Operation,” in Proceedings of the ASME IMECE2012-86415, 2012, 12.
- Hareyama, S., Hamada, H., and Ishimaru, G. , “Self Loosening and Strength Estimation of Bolted Joint under Machine Operation (1st Report, Absolute Estimation on the Self Loosening in Japanese),” Transaction of JSME (Series C) 54(503):1559-1563, 1988.
- Nassar, S. and Alkelani, A.A. , “Clamp Load Loss due to Elastic Interaction and Gasket Creep Relaxation in Bolted Joints,” ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology 128:395-401, August 2006.
- Nassar, S. and Matin, P.H. , “Cumulative Clamp Load Loss Due to a Fully Reversed Cyclic Service Load Acting on an Initially Yielded Bolted Joint System,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 129:421-433, April 2007.
- Junker, G.H. and Williams, D.A. , “Rules for Design and Calculation of High-Duty Bolted Joints (PART ONE:BASIC DESIGN),” Sub Assembly 11(3):22-24, 1973.
- Junker, G.H. , “New Criteria for Self-Loosening of Fasteners Under Vibration,” SAE Technical Paper 690055, 1969, doi:10.4271/690055.
- Sase, N., Koga, S., Nishioka, K., and Fujii, H. , “Evaluation of Anti-Loosening Nuts for Screw Fasteners,” Journal of Material Processing Technology 56(1/4):321-332, 1996.
- Kasei, S. , “A Study of Self-Loosening of Bolted-Joints Due to Repetition of Small Amount of Slippage at Bearing Surface,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing 1(3):358-367, 2007.
- Sanclemente, J. and Hess, D. , “Parametric Study of Threaded Fastener Loosening Due to Cyclic Transverse Loads,” Engineering Failure Analysis 14:239-249, 2007.
- Zhang, M., Jiang, Y., and Lee, C. , “An Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Clamped Length and Loading Direction on Self-Loosening of Bolted Joints,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology 128:388-393, August 2006.
- Shoji Y. and Sawa T. , “Analytical Research on Mechanism of Bolt Loosening due to Lateral Loads,” in Proceedings of PVP2005, PVP2005-71333, 2005, 1-7.
- Manoharan, S. and Friedrich, C. , “Design Influence on Self-Loosening Behavior of Multi Bolted Joint,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1231, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1231.
- Zhao, Y., Lee, C., Che, X., and Yee, C. , “Prediction of Stabilizer Bar Retention Bracket Bolt Looseness,” Pressure Vessels and Piping 382:161-167, 1999.
- Kasei, S. , “Viewpoints on Self-Loosening of Threaded Joints (in Japanese),” Journal of the Japan Research Institute for Screw Thread and Fasteners 49(7):197-204, 2018.
- JFRI , Guide to Fastening Technology of Bolted Joints (in Japanese) (The Japan Research Institute for Screw Thread and Fasteners (JFRI), 2008), 101-119.
- Jiang, Y., Huang, B., and Zhao, H. , “A Study of Early Stage Self-Loosening of Bolted Joints,” in Proceedings of 2001 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2001/DE-25100, 2001, 1-10.
- Amir, Y., Iyyanar, S., Devali, A., and Kumar, M. , “Bending Effect in Concentric Bolted Joints under Transverse Load,” in Proceedings of the ASME Internal Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2013-63201, 2013, 1-10.
- JFRI , “Guide to Fastening Technology of Bolted Joints (in Japanese),” The Japan Research Institute for Screw Thread and Fasteners (JFRI) 17(1):3-7, 1986.