This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lightweight Design of CFRP Automobile Tailgate Based on Multi-Step Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As a critical part of auto-body, the design of tailgate not only affects the beauty, usability and safety of automobile, but also involves more and more issues about environmental protection and energy saving. Hence, it is of vital importance to investigate lightweight of tailgate.
This paper mainly focuses on lightweight design of CFRP tailgate based on conventional SUV metal tailgate, which can be realized under the condition of meeting requirements of stiffness, modal and manufacturing with the adoption of multi-step optimization method. To start with, finite element (FE) model of metal tailgate is established. Meanwhile, the stiffness and modal analyses, including bending stiffness, torsional stiffness, lateral stiffness, vertical stiffness and free modal are set up. Then, the structural performances of metal tailgate are analyzed, and the topology optimization of CFRP tailgate is performed. Subsequently, based on the topology optimization results and layup principle of composites, the redesign and FE modeling of CFRP tailgate are carried out. Owning to the large optimization space, the optimization of free size, size and stacking sequence is further performed to achieve superior lightweight potential.
Eventually, the performances of the optimized CFRP tailgate and metal tailgate are compared to verify the lightweight effect. The results show that the weight of CFRP tailgate is reduced by 37.44% compared with that of metal, while at the same time the stiffness and first-order modal frequency have been improved.
CitationMa, F., Wang, G., Yang, M., Pu, Y. et al., "Lightweight Design of CFRP Automobile Tailgate Based on Multi-Step Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1103, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1103.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Nikbakt , S. , Kamarian , S. , and Shakeri , M. A Review on Optimization of Composite Structures Part I: Laminated Composites Composite Structures 2018
- Sachdeva , C. , Miglani , J. , and Padhee , S. Stress Development Analysis within Composite Laminate for Different Layup Orientations SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0183 2016 10.4271/2016-28-0183
- Wang , T. and Li , Y. Design and Analysis of Automotive Carbon Fiber Composite Bumper Beam Based on Finite Element Analysis Advances in Mechanical Engineering 7 6 222 223 2015
- Liu , Z. , Lu , J. , and Zhu , P. Lightweight Design of Automotive Composite Bumper System Using Modified Particle Swarm Optimizer Composite Structures 140 630 643 2016
- Zhu , C. , Zhu , P. , Liu , Z. , Tao , W. , and Chen , W. Prediction of the Elastic Properties of a Plain Woven Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composite with Internal Geometric Variability Automotive Innovation 1 2 147 157 2018
- Yoo , S.H. , Doh , J. , Lim , J. et al. Topologically Optimized Shape of CFRP front Lower Control ARM International Journal of Automotive Technology 18 4 625 630 2017
- Bhosale , S. , Sahu , A. , Kangde , S. , and Londhe , A. Analysis and Stack-Up Sequence Optimization for Fiber Reinforced Composite Hood SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-5005 2017 10.4271/2017-01-5005
- Kim , D.H. , Kim , H.G. , and Kim , H.S. Design Optimization and Manufacture of Hybrid Glass/Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composite Bumper Beam for Automobile Vehicle Composite Structures 131 742 752 2015
- Valladares , H. , Jones , A. , and Tovar , A. Surrogate-Based Global Optimization of Composite Material Parts under Dynamic Loading SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1023 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1023
- Wu , C. , Gao , Y. , Fang , J. et al. Discrete Topology Optimization of Ply Orientation for a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Laminate Vehicle Door Materials & Design 128 9 19 2017
- Liu , Q. and Paavola , J. Lightweight Design of Composite Laminated Structures with Frequency Constraint Composite Structures 156 356 360 2016
- Zhou , G. , Li , G. , Cheng , A. , Wang , G. et al. The Lightweight of Auto Body Based on Topology Optimization and Sensitivity Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1367 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1367