This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robust Methodology to Predict Occupant Response during Low Speed Rear Impact Using DOE with an Automated CAE Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Whiplash-associated disorder is one of the most common injuries from rear-impact crash scenarios. Knowing the injury mechanism is one of the keys in designing the seat to reduce the risk of injury. Due to the effects of variation, whiplash prevention is one of the most challenging safety-related topics in automotive industry. The test variation can originate from the dummy itself, seat components, materials, assembly tolerance, and as well as typical test setup variations. It is important to understand these variations and take them into account using Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) analysis in order to identify how to reduce the risk of injury. In this paper, a robust methodology to predict occupant response from CAE simulations is developed by combining a Design of Experiment (DOE) with an Automated Process (AP). A Whiplash Variation Map (WVM) is developed to serve as a seat design aid.
The DOE approach applied in this study is a powerful tool to reveal how various behaviors stem from basic variables. Sensitivities, major contributions, relations and interactions amongst variables can be identified with confidence level determined. The variation of occupant responses can be evaluated. The Automated Process of simulating the variations is a major enabler to use the DOE approach.
From the DOE results, a Whiplash Variation Map (WVM) is developed to quantify effects from different variation parameters. An Optimal Dummy Profile (ODP) of the maximum occupant movement is proposed for whiplash target setting on a conventional seat design, which can be used for future seat applications.
- Ligong Pan - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Yunfeng Cao - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Zhen Li - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Catherine Amodeo - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- David Herman - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Seung Hyun Jung - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Yu Wang - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Sushanth Ramavath - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Mark Fountain - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Randall Frank - Core CAE Methods, DI, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Christopher Fredriksson - Core Seat, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- John Orzelski - Core Seat, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Michael Medoro - Core Seat, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Rob Sack - Core Seat, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
- Steven Nunez - Core Seat, Ford Motor Co., Ltd.
CitationPan, L., Cao, Y., Li, Z., Amodeo, C. et al., "Robust Methodology to Predict Occupant Response during Low Speed Rear Impact Using DOE with an Automated CAE Process," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1098, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1098.
- Pastakia , K. and Kumar , S. Acute Whiplash Associated Disorders (WAD) Open Access Emergency Medicine 3 29 32 2011
- Sawada , M. and Hasegawa , J. Development of New Whiplash Prevention Seat Proceedings of 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) 2005
- Broos , J. and Meijer , R. Simulation Method for Whiplash Injury Prediction Using an Active Human Model IRCOBI Conference 2016
- Atherton , K. , Wiles , N.J. , Lecky , F.E. , Hawes , S.J. et al.
- Schmitt , K.U. , Muser , M. , Heggendorn , M. et al. Development of a Damping Seat Slide to Reduce Whiplash Injury J. Automobile Engineering 217 Part D 949 955 2003
- Chinta , B. , Mandadapu , S. , and Carpenter , M. Application of Principle Component Analysis to Low Speed Rear Impact - Design for Six Sigma Project at General Motors SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1204 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1204
- Berger , L. , Fallon , L. , and Carpenter , M. Measurement of Occupant Pocketing Kinematics During Whiplash Assessments SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0270 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0270
- Mansour , R. and Romilly , D. Application of Energy-Absorbing Foam to the Seat Base to Mitigate Whiplash Injuries in Rear End Collisions SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0271 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0271
- Prieto , A. , Romero , A. , Bellas , F. , Salgado , R. et al. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering 10.3233/ICA-180578
- Barbat , S. , Fu , Y. , Zhan , Z. , Yang , R.-J. et al. Objective Rating Metric for Dynamic Systems Paper Number 13-0448
- Du Bois , P. The Numerical Simulation of Foam - An Example of Inter-Industrial Synergy 2009
- Jones , B. and Nachtsheim , C.J. A Class of Three-Level Designs for Definitive Screening in the Presence of Second-Order Effects Journal of Quality Technology 43 1 1 15 2011
- Minitab, Inc. 2014
- Depinet , P 2012