This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Crushing Behaviors of Four Kinds of Auxetic Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Auxetic structures/materials with the negative Poisson’s ratio (NPR) properties can contract when compressed and expand when stretched, different from the conventional structures/materials. Due to the unique properties, it can have higher stiffness and better impact resistance with lightweight. Therefore, the auxetic structures/materials have been applied in various engineering field, such as automobile crash box, suspension mount etc. For auxetic structures/materials with negative Poisson’s ratio, there are four typical configurations (re-entrant hexagonal, double-V, tetra star-shaped and tetra-chiral). However, comparisons on the dynamic behaviors and crashworthiness between the four auxetic structures have not been studied. In this paper, the finite element models were developed for four typical auxetic structures. The deformation modes and energy absorption properties of four different auxetic structures were explored under different impact velocities. Some interesting conclusions can be obtained to guide the engineers to how to choose and utilize the four typical auxetic structures.
CitationQiang, G., Gao, Q., and Wang, L., "Dynamic Crushing Behaviors of Four Kinds of Auxetic Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1096, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1096.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Lakes, R., “Foam Structures with a Negative Poisson's Ratio,” Science 235(4792):1038-1040, 1987.
- Evans, K.E., Nkansah, M.A., Hutchinson, I.J. et al., “Molecular Network Design,” Nature 353(6340):124-124, 1991.
- Ren, X., Das, R., Tran, P. et al., “Auxetic Metamaterials and Structures: A Review,” Smart Materials & Structures 27(2), 2018.
- Gibson, L.J.A.A. and Ashby, M.F., Cellular Solids: Structure and Properties. Vol. 33 (Cambridge University Press, 2014), 487-488.
- Masters, I.G. and Evans, K.E., “Models for the Elastic Deformation of Honeycombs,” Composite Structures 35(4):403-422, 1996.
- Airoldi, A., Bettini, P., Panichelli, P. et al., “Chiral Topologies for Composite Morphing Structures - Part I: Development of a Chiral Rib for Deformable Airfoils,” Physica Status Solidi 252(7):1435-1445, 2015.
- Airoldi, A., Bettini, P., Panichelli, P. et al., “Chiral Topologies for Composite Morphing Structures - Part II: Novel Configurations and Technological Processes,” Physica Status Solidi 252(7):1446-1454, 2015.
- Grima, J.N., Gatt, R., Alderson, A. et al., “On the Potential of Connected Stars as Auxetic Systems,” Molecular Simulation 31(13):925-935, 2005.
- Wang, Y., Wang, L., Ma, Z. et al., “Parametric Analysis of a Cylindrical Negative Poisson’s Ratio Structure,” Smart Materials & Structures 25(3):035038, 2016.
- Guan, Z., Research on Key Technology of New Negative Poisson's Ratio Structure and Its Application in Body Design (Hunan University, 2015).
- Ai, L. and Gao, X.L., “Metamaterials with Negative Poisson’s Ratio and Non-Positive Thermal Expansion,” Composite Structures 162:70-84, 2017.
- Qiang, G., Liangmo, W., Ze, Z., Ma, Z. et al., “Theoretical, Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Three-Dimensional Double-V Honeycomb,” Materials & Design. 139, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.matdes.2017.11.024.
- Gao, Q. et al., “Energy-Absorbing Characteristics of Foam-Filled Oval Tubes under Oblique Impact,” Journal of Vibration Shock 36(2):201-206, 2017.
- Li, G., Zhang, Z., Sun, G. et al., “Comparison of Functionally-Graded Structures under Multiple Loading Angles,” Thin-Walled Structures 94:334-347, 2015.
- Jiga, G., Stamin, Ş., Dinu, G. et al., “Material and Shape Crash-Box Influence on the Evaluation of the Impact Energy Absorption Capacity during a Vehicle Collision,” Ciência & Tecnologia Dos Materiais 28(1):67-72, 2016.
- Saputra H, Jamasri Rochardjo H S B, “The Prediction of Energy-Absorption on the Car Crush Box,” in International Conference on Science and Technology - Computer, IEEE, 51-56, 2017.
- Lu, Z.X., Li, X., Yang, Z.Y. et al., “Novel Structure with Negative Poisson’s Ratio and Enhanced Young’s Modulus,” Composite Structures 138:243-252, 2016.
- Rad, M.S., Prawoto, Y., and Ahmad, Z., “Analytical Solution and Finite Element Approach to the 3D Re-Entrant Structures of Auxetic Materials,” Mechanics of Materials 74(4):76-87, 2014.
- Wang, Y., Zhao, W., Zhou, G. et al., “Suspension Mechanical Performance and Vehicle Ride Comfort Applying a Novel Jounce Bumper Based on Negative Poisson's Ratio Structure,” Advances in Engineering Software 122:1-12, 2018.
- Zhang, W., Ma, Z., and Hu, P., “Mechanical Properties of a Cellular Vehicle Body Structure with Negative Poisson's ratio and enhanced strength,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics & Composites 33(4):342-349, 2014.
- Xie, C.J., Tong, M.B., Fu, L. et al., “Dynamic Tests and Constitutive Model for 7075-T6 Aluminum Alloy,” Journal of Vibration & Shock 33(18):110-114, 2014.
- Meng, H. and Li, Q.M., “Correlation between the Accuracy of a SHPB Test and the Stress Uniformity Based on numerical Experiments,” International Journal of Impact Engineering 28(5):537-555, 2003.
- Ruan, D., Lu, G., Wang, B. et al., “In-Plane Dynamic Crushing of Honeycombs-A Finite Element Study,” International Journal of Impact Engineering 28(2):161-182, 2003.
- Lu, Z.X. and Kang, L., “Numerical Simulation on Dynamic Crushing Behaviors of Tetrachiral Honeycombs,” Explosion & Shock Waves 34(2):181-187, 2014.
- Zhang, Y. and Wang, Z., “Study on Crashworthiness of Honeycomb Sandwich Panel under Lateral Dynamic Load,” Journal of Jiangsu University of Science & Technology, 2007.
- Zhou, C., Zhou, Y., and Wang, B., “Crashworthiness Design for Trapezoid Origami Crash Boxes,” Thin-Walled Structures 117:257-267, 2017.
- Ren, Y. and Xiang, J., “Energy Absorption Structures Design of Civil Aircraft to Improve Crashworthiness,” Aeronautical Journal 118(1202):383-398, 2016.
- Heimbs, S., Schmeer, S., Middendorf, P. et al., “Strain Rate Effects in Phenolic Composites and Phenolic-Impregnated Honeycomb Structures,” Composites Science & Technology 67(13):2827-2837, 2007.
- Wang, T., Wang, L., Wang, Y. et al., “Multi-Criteria Optimization of Foam Reinforced Thin-walled Tube Shape under Crashworthiness Requirements,” SAE Technical Papers 2015-01-1364, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1364.
- Gao, Q., Wang, L., Wang, Y. et al., “Crushing Analysis and Multiobjective Crashworthiness Optimization of Foam-Filled Ellipse Tubes under Oblique Impact Loading,” Thin-Walled Structures 100:105-112, 2016.
- Zhang, X.C., Liu, Y., and Li, N., “In-Plane Dynamic Crushing of Honeycombs with Negative Poisson's Ratio Effects,” Explosion & Shock Waves, 2012.
- Zhang, X.C., Zhu, X.Y., and Na, L.I., “A Study of the Dynamic Response Characteristics of Hexagonal Chiral Honeycombs,” Journal of Vibration & Shock, 2016.
- Lim, T., “A 3D Auxetic Material Based on Intersecting Double Arrowheads,” Physica Status Solidi 253(7):1252-1260, 2016.
- Reis, F.D. and Ganghoffer, J.F., “Equivalent Mechanical Properties of Auxetic Lattices from Discrete Homogenization,” Computational Materials Science 51(1):314-321, 2012.
- Xin, Z. and Fan, W., “Elastic Modulus of Star-Shaped Honeycomb Structure with Negative Poissons Ratio,” Advanced Materials Research 1049-1050:409-412, 2014.
- Gibson, L.J., Ashby, M.F., Schajer, G.S., and Robertson, C.I., “The Mechanics of Two-Dimensional Cellular Materials,” Proc.R. Soc. A 382:25-42, 1982.
- Lee, J., Choi, J.B., and Choi, K., “Application of Homogenization FEM Analysis to Regular and Re-entrant Honeycomb Structures,” Journal of Materials Science 31(15):4105-4110, 1996.
- Gonella, S. and Ruzzene, M., “Homogenization and Equivalent In-Plane Properties of Two-Dimensional Periodic Lattices,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 45:2897-2915, 2008.