This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Method to Nondestructively Measure the Shear Edge Properties for Edge Cracking Evaluation with Advanced High Strength Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) techniques are widely used in the manufacturing industry to control the quality of materials or final products. In the automotive industry, eddy current (EC) testing is one of the most extensively used NDE techniques for automatic in-line inspection of ferrous materials such as advanced high strength steels (AHSS). In addition, shearing is a very common forming operation in the automotive industry. With the increase of shearing clearance, the sheared-edge experiences significant work-hardening that normally decreases the formability of the sheared edge. In this paper, a novel, real-time monitoring NDE method based on the EC sensor was developed to characterize variations in shear edge quality for a DP980 steel. The developed NDE method was applied to scan the edges sheared at various clearances between 5% and 25% of the material thickness. The signal received was correlated with pre-straining introduced during the shearing process at various clearances. Microhardness measurements were taken to compare the trends obtained from the NDE tool with the hardness values. To evaluate the edge formability, half-specimen dome testing (HSDT) was conducted for the edges sheared at various clearances. A digital image correlation (DIC) system was used to record deformation during the HSDT. The failure strain of sheared edges was correlated with the NDE measurements for each clearance to assess the application of an NDE measurement in determining edge quality. The developed NDE method has great potential for significant financial and technical impact on blanking and piercing operations for blank processors or stampers, particularly for AHSS.
CitationPathak, N., Gu, J., and Kim, H., "A Novel Method to Nondestructively Measure the Shear Edge Properties for Edge Cracking Evaluation with Advanced High Strength Steels," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1090, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1090.
- Buckley , J.M. n.d. http://www.joe.buckley.net/papers/eddyc.pdf
- Innerspec Technologies., Inc 2017 http://www.innerspec.com/knowledge/emat-technology/
- Fraunhofer IZFP 2014
- Pathak , N. , Butcher , C. , and Worswick , M. Assessment of the Critical Parameters Influencing the Edge Stretchability of Advanced High Strength Steel Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 25 11 2016
- Konieczny , A. and Henderson , T. On Formability Limitations in Stamping Involving Sheared Edge Stretching SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0340 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0340
- Lee , J.S. , Ko , Y.K. , Huh , H. , Kim , H.K. , and Park , S.H. Evaluation of Hole Flangeability of Steel Sheet with Respect to the Hole Processing Condition Key Engineering Materials 340 665 670 2007
- Huberta , C. , Dubara , L. , Dubara , M. , and Duboisa , A. Finite Element Simulation of the Edge-trimming/Cold Rolling Sequence: Analysis of Edge Cracking Journal of Materials Processing Technology 212 5 1049 1060 2012
- Hu , X. , Sun , X. , and Golovashchenko , F.S. Predicting Tensile Stretchability of Trimmed AA6111-T4 Sheets Computational Materials Science 85 409 419 2014
- Wang , K. , Greve , L. , and Wierzbicki , T. FE Simulation of Edge Fracture Considering Pre-Damage from Blanking Process International Journal of Solids and Structures 71 206 218 2015
- Wu , X. , Bahmanpour , H. , and Schmid , K. Characterization of Mechanically Sheared Edges of Dual Phase Steels Journal of Materials Processing Technology 212 6 1209 1224 2012
- Levy , B. and Van Tyne , C. Review of the Shearing Process for Sheet Steels and Its Effect on Sheared-Edge Stretching Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 21 7 1205 1213 2012
- Gu , J. , Kim , H. , Shih , H. , and Dykeman , J. Effects of Blanking Conditions to Edge Cracking in Stamping of Advanced-High Strength Steels (AHSS) SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0626 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0626