This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determine 24 GHz and 77 GHz Radar Characteristics of Surrogate Grass
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS) is a new feature in vehicle active safety systems. It may not rely only on the lane marking for road edge detection, but other roadside objects This paper discusses the radar aspect of the RDMS testing on roads with grass road edges. Since the grass color may be different at different test sites and in different seasons, testing of RDMS with real grass road edge has the repeatability issue over time and locations. A solution is to develop surrogate grass that has the same characteristics of the representative real grass. Radar can be used in RDMS to identify road edges. The surrogate grass should be similar to representative real grass in color, LIDAR characteristics, and Radar characteristics. This paper provides the 24 GHz and 77 GHz radar characteristic specifications of surrogate grass.
CitationLin, J., Chen, C., Chien, S., Sherony, R. et al., "Determine 24 GHz and 77 GHz Radar Characteristics of Surrogate Grass," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1012, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1012.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- “Roadway Departure Safety,” U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_dept/, Sept 2018.
- Lo, C.W., Lin, S.H., and Wei, H.C., U.S. Patent No. 8,587,649, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC, 2013.
- Kim, H.W., U.S. Patent No. 8,095,266, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC, 2012.
- Yi, Q., Shen, D., Lin, J., Sherony, R., and Chien, S., “The Color Specification of Surrogate Roadside Objects for the Performance Evaluation of Roadway Departure Mitigation Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0506, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0506.
- Shen, D., Yi, Q., Lin, J., Sherony, R., and Tian, R., “Roadside Boundaries and Objects for the Development of Vehicle Road Keeping Assistance System,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0508, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0508.
- Ruck, G.T., Barrick, D.E., Stuart, W.D., and Krichbaum, C.K., Radar Cross Section Handbook. Vol. 1 & 2 (New York: Plenum Press, 1970).
- Blacksmith, P., Hiatt, R.E., and Mack, R.B., “Introduction to Radar Cross-Section Measurements,” Proceedings of the IEEE 53(8):901-920, 1965.
- Cafe, K.B., “Electronic Warfare and Radar Systems Engineering Handbook- Radar Cross Section (RCS) ,” n.d, http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/ew-radar-handbook/radar-cross-section.htm, retrieved September 25, 2018.
- Stove, A.G., “Linear FMCW Radar Techniques,” IEE Proceedings F (Radar and Signal Processing) 139(5):343-350, 1992.
- Rohling, H. and Moller, C., “Radar Waveform for Automotive Radar Systems and Applications,” in Radar Conference, 2008. RADAR'08, May 2008, 1-4, IEEE.
- Schneider, M., Automotive Radar-Status and Trends,” in German Microwave Conference, April 2005, 144-147.
- Yi, Q., Shen, D., Lin, J., Chien, S., Li, L., Chen, Y., and Sherony, R., “Color and Height Characteristics of Surrogate Grass for the Evaluation of Vehicle Road Departure Mitigation Systems,” in 2019 SAE WXC, Detroit, MI, April 9-11, 2019.