This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Uniformity of Pouch-Type Lithium Ion Batteries with NCM Cathode Materials under Different Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the advantages of flexible size and high energy density etc., pouch-type lithium ion battery cells with large capacity have been found more and more applications in electric vehicles. For these large-scale battery cells, thermal uniformity is vital for their safety and cycle life. To be specific, temperature gradients are expected to cause different degradation rates of active materials in different areas, which is possible to cause early failure or even fire and explosion of the battery cell. Thus, it is necessary to illustrate the batterie’s thermal uniformity in detail under different operating conditions. This work investigated the thermal uniformity of two 36 Ah pouch-type NCM/C battery cells with different sizes using both the thermal imaging method and thermoelectric effect method with K-type thermocouples. Experimental results show that there is an obvious temperature gradient on the surface of the pouch-type battery cell. The temperature of the positive electrode is significantly higher than other regions, which denotes that cooling the electrodes could a possible and effective solution for battery thermal management system. The current rare and direction can both have obvious influence on the temperature gradients of the cells. Moreover, pouch-type cells with different sizes present differences in temperature uniformity. The sample in a long strip shape showed better performace in thermal uniformity than that in a near square shape. The battery thermal behavior presented in this work provides excellent data for the validation of electro-thermal models and could be helpful for the optimization of battery cells and the design of their thermal management systems.
CitationLin, C., Liu, Y., Zhang, J., Han, L. et al., "Thermal Uniformity of Pouch-Type Lithium Ion Batteries with NCM Cathode Materials under Different Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1000, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1000.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Wang , Y. , Sakamoto , J. , Kostov , S. , Mansour , A.N. et al. Structural Aspects of Electrochemically Lithiated SnO: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and X-Ray Absorption Studies Journal of Power Sources 89 2 232 236 2000 10.1016/s0378-7753(00)00434-1
- Nagasubramanian , G. Electrical Characteristics of 18650 Li-Ion Cells at Low Temperatures Journal of Applied Electrochemistry 31 1 99 104 2001 10.1023/a:1004113825283
- Yuan , T. , Yu , X. , Cai , R. , Zhou , Y. et al. Synthesis of Pristine and Carbon-Coated li4ti5o12and Their Low-Temperature Electrochemical Performance Journal of Power Sources 195 15 4997 5004 2010 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.02.020
- Wimalasiri , Y. , Fan , R. , Zhao , X.S. , and Zou , L. Assembly of ni-al Layered Double Hydroxide and Graphene Electrodes for Supercapacitors Electrochimica Acta 134 127 135 2014 10.1016/j.electacta.2014.04.129
- Pesaran , A.A. , Keyser , M. , and Burch S.D. 1999
- Lin , C. , Xu , S. , Li , Z. , Li , B. et al. Thermal Analysis of Large-Capacity Lifepo 4 Power Batteries for Electric Vehicles Journal of Power Sources 294 633 642 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2015.06.129
- Li , Z. , Zhang , J. , Wu , B. , Huang , J. et al. Examining Temporal and Spatial Variations of Internal Temperature in Large-Format Laminated Battery with Embedded Thermocouples Journal of Power Sources 241 Complete 536 553 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.04.117
- Veth , C. , Dragicevic , D. , and Merten , C. Thermal Characterizations of a Large-Format Lithium Ion Cell Focused on High Current Discharges Journal of Power Sources 267 760 769 2014 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2014.05.139
- Keyser , M.A. , Pesaran , A. , and Mihalic , M. Thermal Characterization of Advanced Lithium-Ion Polymer Cells Gen 2003
- Hunt , I.A. , Zhao , Y. , Patel , Y. , and Offer , G.J. Surface CoolingCauses Accelerated Degradation Compared to Tab Cooling for Lithium-Ion Pouch Cells Journal of The Electrochemical Society 163 9 A1846 A1852 2016 10.1149/2.0361609jes