This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter (cGPF) and Investigation of Its Durability Performance Using Accelerated Engine Aging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Catalyzed gasoline particulate filters (cGPF) are one of the most effective emission control technologies for reducing gaseous and particulate emissions simultaneously. Successful adoption of this advanced technology relies on several important performance properties including low back pressure, high filtration efficiency and specially durability compliance. In this work using an underfloor cGPF, the backpressure control was achieved through optimizing catalyst coating technology and modifying the deposition profile of catalyst coating along GPF channels. Durability performance was demonstrated by using an accelerated engine aging method with selective blending of lubricating oils in fuel, which incorporates the aging mechanisms of thermal aging, ash loading, and soot accumulation/regeneration. The target durability demonstration represents 200,000 km real world operation. The durability performance was evaluated by a series of vehicle emission tests, and comparison with traditional thermal aging methods, such as GMAC-875°C. Additional characterization methods, such as Scanning Electron Microscopy/Energy Dispersive X-Ray Spectroscopy (SEM-EDS), X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) and backpressure measurement were applied to investigate the ash deposition profile inside cGPF and interaction with cGPF, and the properties of ash obtained from two different lubricant formulations respectively. The results show that the three-stage aging protocol developed from this work can effectively demonstrate cGPF durability performance. At the end of durability testing, the aged cGPF can still meet China 6 emission regulation requirement.
|Technical Paper||On-Vehicle Fuel Cut Testing for Gasoline Particulate Filter Applications|
|Technical Paper||Design of High Performance Coated GPF with 2D/3D Structure Analysis|
- Wenzheng Xia - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Xinbo Yuan - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Dongxia Yang - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Yi Zheng - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Depeng Zhao - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Chengxiong Wang - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Xiaokun He - Kunming Sino-Platinum Metals Catalyst Co.
- Huifang Shao - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Guillaume Carpentier - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Joesph Remias - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Joseph Roos - Afton Chemical Corp.
- Danhua Yin - Afton Chemical (Suzhou) Co. Ltd.
- Yinhui Wang - Afton Chemical (Suzhou) Co. Ltd.
- Ke Jian Liang - Afton Chemical (Suzhou) Co. Ltd.
CitationXia, W., Yuan, X., Yang, D., Zheng, Y. et al., "Design of Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter (cGPF) and Investigation of Its Durability Performance Using Accelerated Engine Aging," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0970, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0970.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Dobes , T. 2016
- Gladstein, Neandross & Associates 2013
- Guan , B. , Zhan , R. , Lin , H. , and Huang , Z. Review of the State-of-the-Art of Exhaust Particulate Filter Technology in Internal Combustion Engines Journal of Environment Management 154 225 258 2015
- Mamakos , A. , Nikolaus , S. , and Giorgio , M. Cost Effectiveness of Particulate Filter Installation on Direct Injection Gasoline Vehicles Atmospheric Environment 77 16 23 2013
- Bielaczyc , P. , Szczotka , A. , and Woodburn , J. Exhaust Emissions of Particulate Matter from Light-Duty Vehicles - An Overview and the Current Situation Combustion Engines 171 4 227 238 2017
- Yang , J. , Roth , P. , Durbin , T.D. et al. Gasoline Particulate Filters as an Effective Tool to Reduce Particulate and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions from Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Vehicles: A Case Study with Two GDI Vehicles Environmental Science & Technology 52 5 3275 3284 2018
- Bogarra , M. , Herreors , J. et al. Influence of Three-Way Catalyst on Gaseous and Particulate Matter Emissions during Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Cold-Start (Analyzing Emissions to Meet Euro 6c Legislation) Johnson Matthey Technology Review 61 4 329 341 2017
- Craig , A. , Warkins , J. , and Aravelli , K. Low Cost LEV-III, Tier-III Emission Solutions with Particulate Control using Advanced Catalysts and Substrates SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0925 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0925
- Zhan , R. , Eakle , S.T. , and Weber , P. Simultaneous Reduction of PM, HC, CO and NO x Emissions from a GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0365 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0365
- Richter , J. , Klingmann , R. , Spiess , S. , and Wong , K. Application of Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filters to GDI Vehicles SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1361 1370 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1244
- Chris , M. Platinum Group Metal and Washcoat Chemistry Effects on Coated Gasoline Particulate Filter Design Johnson Matthey Technol. Rev. 59 3 188 192 2015
- Custer , N. , Kamp , C. , Sappok , A. et al. Lubricant-Derived Ash Impact on Gasoline Particulate Filter Performance SAE Int. J. Engines 9 3 1604 1614 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0942
- Shao , H. Effect of Lubricant Properties on GPF, Performance Meeting China 6 Light-Duty PN Regulation Workshop Beijing, China Oct. 18 2017
- Shao , H. , Lam , W. , Remias , J. , Roos , J. et al. Effect of Lubricant Oil Properties on the Performance of Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2287 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2287
- Choi , S. and Seong , H. Lube Oil-Dependent Ash Chemistry on Soot Oxidation Reactivity in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine Combustion and Flame 174 68 76 2016
- Lambert , C. , Bumbaroska , M. , Dobson , D. , Hangas , J. et al. Analysis of High Mileage Gasoline Exhaust Particle Filters SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 1296 1304 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0941
- US EPA 2006
- Shao , H. , Plaatje , A.C. , and Meffert , M.W. Proof-of- Principle Investigation into the Use of Custom Rapid Aging Procedures to Evaluate and Demonstrate Catalyst Durability SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2269 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2269
- Shao , H. , Carpentier , G. , Yin , D. , Wang , Y. et al. Engine Accelerated Aging Method Developed to Study the Effect of Lubricant Formulations on Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter Durability SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1804 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1804
- Satoru Inoda , Y.N. Development of New Coating Technology Optimized for Each Function of Coated GPF SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0929 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0929
- Xia , W. and Zheng , Y. Catalyzed Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) Performance: Effect of Driving Cycle, Fuel, Catalyst Coating SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2366 2017 10.4271/2017-01-2366