This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Twin-Scroll Turbine Housing Design with Improved Reliability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Twin-scroll turbine housing with divider wall in turbocharger promises to increase low-end torque, improve boost response and maximize turbine efficiency. This paper proposes a new twin-scroll turbine housing design. The unique design feature is first introduced. Numerical simulation which takes into account transient state film heat transfer convection, temperature-dependent strain hardening behavior and cyclic thermal loads are carried out for both traditional and the new design. Simulation results include temperature, stress and plastic strain at divider wall are compared and analyzed as well which indicate the new turbine housing has improved reliability at divider wall. This study reveals how to obtain a robust turbine housing divider wall and provides a knowledge base for the design and use of divider wall.
CitationGuo, H., Gong, Y., and Long, H., "A New Twin-Scroll Turbine Housing Design with Improved Reliability," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0942, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0942.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Müller , M. , Streule , T. , Sumser , S. , Hertweck , G. et al. The Asymmetric Twin Scroll Turbine for Exhaust Gas Turbochargers ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2008 1547 1554
- Guo , W. and Guo , H. Thermal Mechanical Fatigue and Creep Interaction in Turbine Housing Divider Wall Design ASME Turbo Expo 2016: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition 2016 V05CT18A003 V05CT18A003 American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Guo , H. , Long , H. , and Gong , Y. Numerical Study of Turbine Housing Divider Wall Using Two-dimensional Model SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0817 2019
- Guo , H. , Jia , W. , and Li , N. Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Effect of Tongue Shape on Turbine Reliability SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0483 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0483
- Yang , M. , Martinez-Botas , R. , Rajoo , S. , Yokoyama , T. et al. Influence of Volute Cross-sectional Shape of a Nozzleless Turbocharger Turbine under Pulsating Flow Conditions ASME Turbo Expo 2014: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition 2014 V02DT42A025 V02DT42A025 American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Suhrmann , J. F. , Peitsch , D. , Gugau , M. , and Heuer , T. On the Effect of Volute Tongue Design on Radial Turbine Performance ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition 2012 891 901 American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Neu , R.W. and Sehitoglu , H. Thermomechanical Fatigue, Oxidation, and Creep: Part II. Life Prediction Metallurgical Transactions A 20 9 1769 1783 1989
- Manson , S.S. 1966
- Ahdad , F. , Groskreutz , M. , and Wang , H. TMF Design Optimisation for Automotive Turbochargers Turbine Housings ASME Turbo Expo 2007: Power for Land, Sea, and Air 2007 551 557 American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Xu , J. , Huo , M. , and Xia , R. Effect of Cyclic Plastic Strain and Flow Stress on Low Cycle Fatigue Life of 316L (N) Stainless Steel Mechanics of Materials 114 134 141 2017
- Vormwald , M. Effect of Cyclic Plastic Strain on Fatigue Crack Growth International Journal of Fatigue 82 80 88 2016
- Zineb , A. , Abdellatif , K. , and Cabrera , F.M. Effect of Cycle Duration and Phasing on Thermomechanical Fatigue of Dog-Bone Specimens Made Form Steel American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 3 4 2010
- Guo , H. , Jia , W. , and Xie , D. Port Design Study in Waste Gate Turbocharger with Numerical Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2411 2017 10.4271/2017-01-2411
- Guo , H. and Long , H. Effect of Mesh Size in Numerical Simulation of Turbine Housing in Turbocharger SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1715 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1715