Features of Modeling Thermal Development Processes of the Vehicle Engine Based on Phase-Transitional Thermal Accumulators
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Downloadable datasets for this paper availableAnnotation of this paper is available
The utilization of different types of energy in phase-transitional thermal accumulators and its further use for thermal development of different subsystems of hybrid vehicles enables to significantly increase their operational efficiency. The system of the combined utilization of thermal and electrical energy in phase-transitional thermal accumulators (TA) is offered. To charge TA, it uses thermal energy of exhaust gas, a coolant and motor oil of the internal combustion engine and electrical energy which is utilized by energy recovery system when braking the vehicle. It consists of consecutive stages of heat accumulation when charging TA from different energy sources of the hybrid vehicle, its storage and use for rapid heating of vehicle separate subsystems. The main heat and power characteristics of system components and heat accumulating materials used in phase-transitional TA have been justified. Schemes and designs of a physical model to utilize electrical energy using high-capacity condensers for charging phase-transitional TA have been offered. The results of experimental and computational studies show theoretical comparison of the main indicators of the developed system in charging phase transition TA using various types of heat-accumulating material from the thermal and electrical energy. The use of electric energy accumulated in capacitors of large capacity to charge TA allows diversifying energy flows and providing the working capacitance of the TA under varying operating conditions. The features of the equipment and the technology of using the system under investigation are selected depending on the operational requirements, climatic conditions and the purpose of the vehicle. Particularly useful the presented results of modeling thermal systems can be for the further use of hybrid technologies in transport.
- Igor V. Gritsuk - Kherson State Maritime Academy
- Vasyl Mateichyk - Rzeszow University of Technology
- Valery Aleksandrov - Donbas National Academy of Civil Engineering & Architecture
- Yuri Prilepsky - Kharkov National Auto and Highway University
- Sergii Panchenko - Ukrainian State University of Railway Transportation
- Artur Kagramanian - Ukrainian State University of Railway Transportation
- Vladimir Volkov - Kharkov National Auto and Highway University
- Yuriy Cherniak - State University of Infrastructure and Technology
- Mykyta Volodarets - Ukrainian State University of Railway Transportation
- Evgen Belousov - Kherson State Maritime Academy
- Heorgi Kukharonak - Belarusian National Technical University
- Oleksandr Rodin - Kherson State Maritime Academy
CitationGritsuk, I., Mateichyk, V., Aleksandrov, V., Prilepsky, Y. et al., "Features of Modeling Thermal Development Processes of the Vehicle Engine Based on Phase-Transitional Thermal Accumulators," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0906, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0906.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Mateichyk, V.P., “Systems Approach to the Analysis of Block Diagrams Power Installations of the Vehicles, V.P. Mateichyk, Visnyk NTU ‘KHPI No. 7 (v.2), Kharkiv, NTU ‘KHPI’, 2002, 162-167.
- Vashurkin, I.O., Thermal Development and Start of ICE of Mobile Vehicles and Construction Machinery in Winter (Sant Peterburg: Nauka Publ, 2002), 145.
- Shulgin, V.V., “Engine Pre-Start Heating System with Thermal Accumulator for City Buses’ - SPb.: City Traffic Engineering and Traffic Safety: SPb. Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and,” Civil Engineering 372-375, 2002.
- Losavio, H.S., “Start Car Engine without Heating,” / H.S. Losavio, M., Transport, 1965, 103p.
- Gritsuk, I., Volkov, V., Gutarevych, Y., Mateichyk, V. et al., “Improving Engine Pre-Start and After-Start Heating by Using the Combined Heating System,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8071, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-8071.
- Volkov, V., Gritsuk, I., Yu, G., Aleksandrov, V. et al., Warming-Up Systems of Internal Combustion Engines: Basics of Functioning: Monograph (Donetsk: LANDON-ХХІ Publ., 2015), 314.
- Chernyak Yu, V., Chernyak Yu, V., Prilepskiy Yu, V., and Gritsuk, I.V, “Physical Model of the Recovery System of a Shunting Diesel Locomotive, Donetsk: Don IRT, 2010, 196p.
- Falendish, A., “Diesel-Locomotive Switcher’s Modernization by Hybrid Transmission of Power,” Falendish, A., Volodarets, N., Bragin, N. (eds.), TEKA, Commission of Motorization and Energetics in Agriculture, Lublin-Lugansk, 2012, Vol. 12(4), 58-63.
- Morosuk, T., Morosuk, C., and Bishliaga, S., “Thermodynamic Analysis of Traditional and Alternative Heating Systems for Ukraine,” . In: Ulgiati S., Brown T.M., Giampietro V., Herendeed R.A. et al., editors. Advances in Energy Studies. Reconsidering the Importance of Energy. (Padova, SGEditoriali, 2003), 381-388.
- Balasanyan, G.A., “The Effectiveness of Advanced Integrated Systems for Energy Supply Based on Cogeneration Units of Low Capacity (Theoretical Basics, Analysis, Optimization),” Doctoral Thesis of Technical Sciences, Technical Thermal Physics and Industrial Combined Heat and Power, Odesa, 2007, 356pp.
- Karnauhov, N.N., Pustovalov, I.A., and Yarkin, A.V., “Thermal Accumulator for Maintaining ICE Start Temperature of Construction Machinery in Winter,” Motor transport enterprise 11:45-48, 2010.
- Patent for invention No. 75811, Ukraine, (2012.01) F01Р 3/22 (2006.01), “The Regulatory System Temperature Coolant of the Internal Combustion Engine Heat Utilization of Thermal Battery Vehicle Equipped with a System of Electric Energy Recovery,” І.V. Gritsuk, Yu. V. Prylepskyi, Z.І. Krasnokutska, Patent applicant and patent holder: National Transport University, State No. u2012 07571; app. 20.06.2012; publ. 10.12.2012, Bul. No. 23.- 4p.:il.
- Hutarevych Yu, F., “The Peculiarities of the Algorithm for Pre-Start Heating System of Gas Engine in Start and Heating Processes,” Yu. F. Hutarevych, І.V. Gritsuk, V.S. Verbovskiy, Z.І. Krasnokutska, The Herald of Sev NTU, The collection of scientific papers, Series: Machine and tool manufacture and transportation, Sevastopol, Sev NTU, 2013, Issue 143/2013, 53-57.
- Gritsuk, I., Aleksandrov, V., Panchenko, S., Kagramanian, S.O. et al., “Features of Application Materials while Designing Phase Transition Heat Accumulators of Vehicle Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-5003, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-5003.
- Aleksandrov, V.D., “The Kinetics of Nucleation and Mass Crystallization of Supercooled Liquids and Amorphous Media,” Donetsk. Donbas 580, 2011.
- Levenberg, V.D., Tkach, M.P. and Golstrem, V.A., “Accumulation of Heat,” Kiev, Tekhnika (Engineering), 1991, 112pp.
- Aleksandrov, V., Yu, G., Gritsuk, I., Yu, P. et al., Phase Transition Heat Accumulators for Vehicles: The Parameters of Working Processes: Monograph (Donetsk: Publishing House “Knowledge”, 2014), 230.
- Gritsuk, I., Gutarevych, Y., Mateichyk, V., and Volkov, V., “Improving the Processes of Preheating and Heating after the Vehicular Engine Start by Using Heating System with Phase-Transitional Thermal Accumulator,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0204, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0204.
- Paraffin, UPAcom, “Ukrainian Paraffin Company,” http://www.ukr-prom.com/cat-himicheskaya-prodykciya/nefteprodykti/10609/, June 2015.
- Yamasaki, K., Taniguchi, S., Adachi, K. et al., “Development of an Electric Bus for Power Station Tours 42,” Kyushu Electric Power Co., Inc., Proceedings of 18-th International Electric Vehicle Symposium (EVS-18), October 20-24, 2001, Berlin, Germany, A Conference of the WEVA - World Electric Vehicle Association.
- Henderson, B. and OBD-II Electronic Engine Control Systems, MANUAL, Henderson, B. and Heynes, J., SPb .: Alfamer Publishing, 2011, 248pp.
- Rokosz, U., “On-Board Diagnostics,” Za Rulem’ Publishing House (‘Driving Publisher’) LLC, 2013, 224pp.
- “The Use of a Physical Model to Investigate Recovery Processes in Vehicles with an Electric Propulsion,” Yu. V. Prilepskiy, I.V. Gritsuk, The Herald of NTU “KhPI”, Series: Automobile and tractor industry, Kh.: NTU “KhPI”, 2013, № 30 (1003), 134-139.
- Gritsuk, I., Mateichyk, V., Tsiuman, M., Gutarevych, Y. et al., “Reducing Harmful Emissions of the Vehicular Engine by Rapid After-Start Heating of the Catalytic Converter Using Thermal Accumulator,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0784, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0784.
- Gritsuk, I., Volkov, V., Mateichyk, V., Gutarevych, Y. et al., “The Evaluation of Vehicle Fuel Consumption and Harmful Emission Using the Heating System in a Driving Cycle,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(1):236-248, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0364.
- Gritsuk, I., Volkov, V., Mateichyk, V., Grytsuk, Y. et al., “Information Model of V2I System of the Vehicle Technical Condition Remote Monitoring and Control in Operation Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0024, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0024.
- Gritsuk, I., Mateichyk, V., Smieszek, M., Volkov, V. et al., “Improving the Vehicular Engine Pre-Start and after Start Heating by Using the Combined Heating System," HVAC System, Chapter 7, 2018, 101-122, doi:10.5772/intechopen.79467.
- Potopalska, K., Larin, O., Mygushchenko, R., and Kovalov, O., “Reliability of the Rubber Tube of Automotive Hydraulic Braking System under Fatigue Failures Considering Random Variation of Load and the Process of Aging of Material,” Journal of Solid Mechanics 10(4), 2018.
- Larin, O.O., “Probabilistic Model of Fatigue Damage Accumulation in Rubberlike Materials,” Strength of Materials, 2015, doi:10.1007/s11223-015-9722-3.
- Kuric, I., Mateichyk, V., Smieszek, M., Tsiuman, M., et al., “The Peculiarities of Monitoring Road Vehicle Performance and Environmental Impact," in MATEC Web of Conferences, Vol. 244, December 5, 2018, № 030033rd, Innovative Technologies in Engineering Production, ITEP 2018; Bojnice; Slovakia; September 11, 2018, до September 13, 2018; Cod 143364.