This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aeroacoustic Noise Generated by Air Flowing through a Slit in an HVAC System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Air flowing through a narrow slit sometimes generates noise. This phenomenon has been identified in some parts of automobile HVAC systems. The noise annoys drivers and passengers and causes deterioration in the automobile’s quality.
Simply sealing the gap is a way to avoid such flow noise. In an HVAC system, however, the doors that control the air flow are openable, and the door slits, which are difficult to eliminate, emanate the noise in transient conditions.
The noise is well known, but the mechanism of noise generation has not been well studied to date. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) has been a useful tool for air flow studies, but commercial CFD programs usually use a turbulence model such as Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS); in addition, the flow behavior result depends on the model selected in the calculation. In this study, direct numerical simulation (DNS) of the compressible subsonic flow without a turbulence model is adopted to investigate the flow through a narrow slit and its associated noise generation mechanism. The numerical results show the relationship between the noise and the unsteady vortices created through the slit. This study also explains the process of slit noise creation by comparing the force caused by vortices from the wall to the air and the noise.
|Technical Paper||Residual Injury Situation and Accident Characteristics of Severe Motorcycle Accidents|
|Technical Paper||Posterior Cruciate Ligament Response to Proximal Tibia Impact|
|Technical Paper||Subjective Quantification of Wind Buffeting Noise|
CitationKanuma, T., Inoue, Y., and Maekawa, H., "Aeroacoustic Noise Generated by Air Flowing through a Slit in an HVAC System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0891, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0891.
- Howe , M.S. Attenuation of Sound due to Vortex Shedding from a Splitter Plate in a Mean Flow Duct Journal of Sound and Vibration 105 3 385 396 1986
- Mathias , M. , Stokes , A.N. , Hourigan , K. , and Welsh , M.C. Low-Level Flow-Induced Acoustic Resonances in Ducts Fluid Dynamics Research 3 353 356 1988
- Welsh , M.C. , Hourigan , K. , Welch , L.W. , Downie , R.J. et al. Acoustics and Experimental Methods: The Influence of Sound on Flow and Heat Transfer Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 3 138 152 1990
- Hourigan , K. , Welsh , M.C. , and Thompson , M.C. Aerodynamic Sources of Acoustic Resonance in a Duct with Baffles Journal of Fluids and Structures 4 345 370 1990
- Nelson , P.A. , Halliwell , N.A. , and Doak , P.E. Fluid Dynamics of a Flow Excited Resonance, Part I: Experiment Journal of Sound and Vibration 78 1 15 38 1981
- Nelson , P.A. , Halliwell , N.A. , and Doak , P.E. Fluid Dynamics of a Flow Excited Resonance, Part II: Flow Acoustic Interaction Journal of Sound and Vibration 91 3 375 402 1983
- Howe , M.S. Contributions to the Theory of Aerodynamic Sound, with Application to Excess Jet Noise and the Theory of the Flute J. Fluid Mech 71 part 4 625 673 1975
- Naudasher , E. , Asce , F. and Locher , F.A. , Asce , A.M. Flow-Induced Forces on Protruding Walls Journal of the Hydraulics Division 1974
- Blake , W.K. , Powell , A. The Development of Contemporary Views of Flow-Tone Generation Proceedings of an International Symposium 1983 10.1007/978-1-4612-4840-8
- Howe , M.S. Low Strouhal Number Instabilities of Flow over Apertures and Wall Cavities The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 102 772 1997
- Howe , M.S. Influence of Wall Thickness on Rayleigh Conductivity and Flow-Induced Aperture Tones Journal of Fluids and Structures 11 351 366 1997
- Herr , M. Design Criteria for Low-Noise Trailing-Edges 13th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (28th AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference) 2007
- Versteeg , H.K. , Malalasekera , W. An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics Second Pearson Educational Ltd. 2007 978-0131274983
- Ferziger , J.H. and Peric , M. Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics Third Springer 2002 10.1007/978-3-642-56026-2
- Fujiso , Y.A. and Hirtum , V Aeroacoustic Characterisation of Single and Dual Tooth-Shaped Obstacle Replicas in Relation to the Study of Unvoiced Fricative Speech Production Proceedings of the Acoustics 2012 Nantes Conference 23 27 2012
- Hofmans , G.C.J. , Boot , R.J.J. , Durriey , P.P.J.M. , and Auregan , Y. Aeroacoustic Response of a Slit-Shaped Diaphragm in a Pipe at Low Helmholtz Number 1: Quasi-Steady Results Journal of Sound and Vibration 244 1 35 56 2001
- Hofmans , G.C.J. , Ranucci , M. , Ajello , G. , Auregan , Y. et al. Aeroacoustic Response of a Slit-Shaped Diaphragm in a Pipe at Low Helmholtz Number 2: Unsteady Results Journal of Sound and Vibration 244 1 57 77 2001
- Cisonni , J. , Nozaki , K. , Hirtum , A.V. , Grandchamp , X. et al. Numerical Simulation of the Influence of the Orifice Aperture on the Flow around a Teeth-Shaped Obstacle Fluid Dynamics Research 025505 19 45 2013
- Gloerfelt , X. and Lafon , P. Direct Computation of the Noise Induced by a Turbulent Flow through a Diaphragm in a Duct at Low Mach Number Computers & Fluids 37 388 401 2008
- Jardon , Z. , Karban , U. , Christophe , J. , and Schram , C.F. Hybrid Methods for the Prediction of the Noise Radiated by a Mach 0.5 Ducted Orifice Flow 2018 AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, AIAA Aviation Forum 2018
- Tam , C.K.W. , Ju , H. , Jones , M.G. , Watson , W.R. et al. A Comptutational and Experimental Study of Slit Resonators Journal of Sound and Vibration 284 947 987 2005
- Tam , C.K.W. , Ju , H. , Jones , M.G. , Watson , W.R. et al. A Comptutational and Experimental Study of Slit Resonators in Three Dimensions Journal of Sound and Vibration 329 5164 5193 2010
- Lele , S.K. Compact Finite Difference Schemes with Spectral-Resolution J. Comput. Phys. 103 16 42 1992
- Deng , X. , Maekawa , H. , and Shen , C. A Class of High-Order Dissipative Compact Schemes AIAA Paper 96-1972 1996
- Poinsot , T.J. and Lele , S.K. Boundary Conditions for Direct Simulation of Compressive Viscous Flows J. Comput. Phys. 101 104 129 1992
- Mitcehll , B.E. , Lele , S.K. , and Moin , P. Direct Computation of the Sound from a Compressible Co-Rotating Vortex Pair J. Fluid Mech 285 181 202 1995