This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vision-Based Techniques for Identifying Emergency Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper discusses different computer vision techniques investigated by the authors for identifying Emergency Vehicles (EV). Two independent EV identification frameworks were investigated: (1) A one-stage framework where an object detection algorithm is trained on a custom dataset to detect EVs, (2) A two-stage framework where an object classification algorithm is implemented in series with an object detection pipeline to classify vehicles into EVs and non-EVs. A comparative study is conducted for different multi-spectral feature vectors of the image, against several classification models implemented in framework 2. Additionally, a user-defined feature vector is defined and its performance is compared against the other feature vectors. Classification outputs from each of the frameworks are compared to the ground truth, and results are quantitatively listed to conclude upon the ideal decision rule. As maintaining the speed of data output is the priority throughout our development, a computationally inexpensive object tracking algorithm is selected to accurately track EV between image frames. This vision-based EV detection scheme fused with data from other sensors on our autonomous vehicle shall be used to establish a sensor-fusion based EV detection and response framework in future work.
|Technical Paper||Autonomous Vehicles in the Cyberspace: Accelerating Testing via Computer Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Navigation Systems for Passenger Cars|
|Technical Paper||A Comprehensive Study of Digital Speedometer|
CitationNayak, A., Gopalswamy, S., and Rathinam, S., "Vision-Based Techniques for Identifying Emergency Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0889, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0889.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Lv, C., Cao, D., Zhao, Y., Auger, D.J. et al., “Analysis of Autopilot Disengagements Occurring During Autonomous Vehicle Testing,” IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica 5(1):58-68, 2018.
- Fazenda, B., Atmoko, H., Gu, F., Guan, L. et al., “Acoustic Based Safety Emergency Vehicle Detection for Intelligent Transport Systems,” in ICCAS-SICE, 2009, 2009, 4250-4255, IEEE.
- Meucci, F., Pierucci, L., Del Re, E., Lastrucci, L. et al. “A Real-Time Siren Detector to Improve Safety of Guide in Traffic Environment,” in Signal Processing Conference, 2008 16th European, 2008, 1-5, IEEE.
- Karpis, O., “System for Vehicles Classification and Emergency Vehicles Detection,” IFAC Proceedings Volumes 45(7):186-190, 2012.
- Tian, Y., Lo, W.-Y., and Ferguson, D.I.F., “Real-Time Active Emergency Vehicle Detection, September 1, 2016, US Patent App. 14/471,640.
- Response of Autonomous Vehicles to Emergency Response Vehicles, https://rip.trb.org/view/1500797.
- Arabi, P. and Zaky, S., “Integrated Vision and Sound Localization,” in Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Information Fusion, 2000, 2, THB3-21, IEEE.
- Gopalswamy, S. and Rathinam, S., “Infrastructure Enabled Autonomy: A Distributed Intelligence Architecture for Autonomous Vehicles,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1802.04112, 2018.
- Sun, Z., Bebis, G., and Miller, R., “On-Road Vehicle Detection: A Review,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 28(5):694-711, 2006.
- Sivaraman, S. and Trivedi, M.M., “Looking at Vehicles on the Road: A Survey of Vision-Based Vehicle Detection, Tracking, and Behavior Analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 14(4):1773-1795, 2013.
- Everingham, M., Van Gool, L., Williams, C.K.I., Winn, J. et al., “The Pascal Visual Object Classes (VOC) Challenge,” International Journal of Computer Vision 88(2):303-338, 2010.
- Lin, T.-Y., Maire, M., Belongie, S., Hays, J. et al., “Microsoft COCO: Common Objects in Context,” in European Conference on Computer Vision, 2014, 740-755, Springer.
- Deng, J., Dong, W., Socher, R., Li, L.-J. et al., “Imagenet: A Large-Scale Hierarchical Image Database,” in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2009. CVPR 2009. IEEE Conference on, 2009, 248-255, IEEE.
- Geiger, A., Lenz, P., Stiller, C., and Urtasun, R., “Vision Meets Robotics: The KITTI Dataset,” International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), 2013.
- Cordts, M., Omran, M., Ramos, S., Rehfeld, T. et al. “The Cityscapes Dataset for Semantic Urban Scene Understanding,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2016, 3213-3223.
- Fisher, Y., Xian, W., Chen, Y., Liu, F., “BDD100K: A Diverse Driving Video Database with Scalable Annotation Tooling,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1805.04687, 2018.
- Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., and Hinton, G.E., “Imagenet Classification with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks,” in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 2012, 1097-1105.
- Girshick, R., Donahue, J., Darrell, T., and Malik, J., “Rich Feature Hierarchies for Accurate Object Detection and Semantic Segmentation,” Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2014.
- Girshick, R., “Fast R-CNN,” in The IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), December 2015.
- Ren, S., He, K., Girshick, R., and Sun, J., “Faster r-cnn: Towards Real-Time Object Detection with Region Proposal Networks,” . In: Cortes C., Lawrence N.D., Lee D.D., Sugiyama M., and Garnett R., editors. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems. Vol. 28. (Curran Associates, Inc, 2015), 91-99.
- Dai, J., Yi, L., He, K., and Sun, J., “R-FCN: Object Detection Via Region-Based Fully Convolutional Networks,” Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 379-387, 2016.
- Lin, T.-Y., Dollár, P., Girshick, R.B., He, K. et al., “Feature Pyramid Networks for Object Detection,” in 2017 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2017, 936-944.
- He, K., Gkioxari, G., Dollar, P., and Girshick, R., “Mask R-CNN,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 1-1, 2018.
- Redmon, J., Divvala, S., Girshick, R., and Farhadi, A., “You Only Look Once: Unified, Real-Time Object Detection,” in The IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), June 2016.
- Liu, W., Anguelov, D., Erhan, D., Szegedy, C. et al., “SSD: Single Shot Multibox Detector,” in European Conference on Computer Vision, 2016, 21-37, Springer.
- Redmon, J. and Farhadi, A., “YOLO9000: Better, Faster, Stronger,” arXiv preprint, 2017.
- Redmon, J. and Farhadi, A., “YOLOv3: An Incremental Improvement,” arXiv, 2018.
- Yilmaz, A., Javed, O., and Shah, M., “Object Tracking: A Survey,” ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 38(4):13, 2006.
- Huang, C., Li, Y., and Nevatia, R., “Multiple Target Tracking by Learning-Based Hierarchical Association of Detection Responses,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 35(4):898-910, April 2013.
- Milan, A., Leal-Taixé, L., Reid, I., Roth, S. et al., “MOT16: A Benchmark for Multi-Object Tracking”. arXiv preprint arXiv:1603.00831, 2016.
- Bewley, A., Ge, Z., Ott, L., Ramos, F. et al., “Simple Online and Realtime Tracking,” in 2016 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), 2016, 3464-3468.
- Redmon, J., Darknet: Open Source Neural Networks in C, 2013-2016.
- Dalal, N. and Triggs, B., “Histograms of Oriented Gradients for Human Detection,” in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2005. CVPR 2005. IEEE Computer Society Conference on, Vol. 1, 2005, 886-893, IEEE.
- Rybski, P.E., Huber, D., Morris, D.D., and Hoffman, R., “Visual Classification of Coarse Vehicle Orientation Using Histogram of Oriented Gradients Features,” in Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2010 IEEE, 2010, 921-928, IEEE.
- Chapelle, O., Haffner, P., and Vapnik, V.N., “Support Vector Machines for Histogram-Based Image Classification,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 10(5):1055-1064, 1999.
- Bradski, G. and Kaehler, A., OpenCV. Dr. Dobbs Journal of Software Tools, 3, 2000.
- Pedregosa, F., Varoquaux, G., Gramfort, A., Michel, V. et al., “Scikit-Learn: Machine Learning in Python,” Journal of Machine Learning Research 12(Oct):2825-2830, 2011.
- Cortes, C. and Vapnik, V., “Support-Vector Networks,” Machine Learning 20(3):273-297, 1995.
- Altman, N.S., “An Introduction to Kernel and Nearest-Neighbor Nonparametric Regression,” The American Statistician 46(3):175-185, 1992.
- Breiman, L., “Random forests,” Machine Learning 45(1):5-32, 2001.
- Freund, Y. and Schapire, R.E., “A Decision-Theoretic Generalization of On-Line Learning and an Application to Boosting,” Journal of Computer and System Sciences 55(1):119-139, 1997.
- Chen, T. and Guestrin, C., “Xgboost: A Scalable Tree Boosting System,” in Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2016, 785-794, ACM.
- Chollet, F. et al., Keras, 2015.
- Verleysen, M. and François, D., “The Curse of Dimensionality in Data Mining and Time Series Prediction,” in International Work-Conference on Artificial Neural Networks, 2005, 758-770, Springer.