This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emergency Steering Evasion Torque Assistance Based on Optimized Trajectory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
When automobile is at the threat of collisions, steering usually needs a shorter longitudinal distance than braking to avoid collision, especially at a high speed. In emergency steering evasion, the vehicle may be out of the road or colliding with obstacles ahead when the driver’s steering torque is excessive or insufficient. In view of the above problems, this paper presents an emergency steering evasion torque assistance system based on optimized trajectory.
First, a feasible steering evasion area is established which treats the paths of excessive and insufficient steering as boundary conditions in this paper. An optimized trajectory is derived from the lateral acceleration of the vehicle and the time to the adjacent lane as optimization conditions. Second, a two degree of freedom vehicle model is used to represent dynamics of the vehicle. A single input-single output assistance steering torque model is derived by a driver torque model and a dynamics steering equation represented steering system. Third, a model predictive control (MPC) approach based on the mentioned models is used in steering torque assistance system to acquire assistance torque.
In the simulation stage, this paper establishes a driver-in-loop simulation platform based on Automotive Simulation Models (ASM) to acquire the inputs of the drivers and test the performance of the assistance torque controller at different emergency steering evasion conditions. The results show that the method can ensure that the vehicle is driving in feasible steering evasion area, and improve the trajectory tracking accuracy of the vehicle, and the intervention to the driver is minimal in emergency steering evasion.
CitationWang, Y., Wu, J., Ye, Y., Shi, J. et al., "Emergency Steering Evasion Torque Assistance Based on Optimized Trajectory," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0888, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0888.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Zhao , M. , Wang , H. , Chen , J. , Xu , X. et al. Method to Optimize Key Parameters and Effectiveness Evaluation of the AEB System Based on Rear-End Collision Accidents SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst 10 2 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0112
- Zhao , Z. , Zhou , L. , Luo , Y. , and Li , K. Emergency Steering Evasion Assistance Control Based on Driving Behavior Analysis IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 1-19 2018 10.1109/TITS.2018.2814687
- Isermann , R. , Mannale , R. , and Schmitt , K. Collision-Avoidance Systems PRORETA: Situation Analysis and Intervention Control Control Eng. Pract. 20 11 1236 1246 2012 10.1016/j.conengprac.2012.06.003
- Ye , Y. , Zhao , J. , Wu , J. , Zhu , B. et al. Steering Control Based on the Yaw Rate and Projected Steering Wheel Angle in Evasion Maneuvers SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0030 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0030
- Zhou , L. , Zhao , Z. , Shen , P. , Li , M. et al. Emergency Steering Evasion Control by Combining the Yaw Moment with Steering Assistance SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0818 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0818
- Gray , A. , Ali , M. , Gao , Y. , Hedrick , J.K. et al. A Unified Approach to Threat Assessment and Control for Automotive Active Safety IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 14 3 1490 1499 2013 10.1109/TITS.2013.2262097
- Minoiu Enache , N. , Netto , M. , Mammar , S. , and Lusetti , B. Driver steering Assistance for Lane Departure Avoidance Control Eng. Pract. 17 6 642 651 2009 10.1016/j.conengprac.2008.10.012
- Yang , K. , Zheng , R. , Ji , X. , Nishimura , Y. et al. Application of Stackelberg Game Theory for Shared Steering Torque Control in Lane Change Maneuver IEEE Intell. Veh. Symp. 138 143 2018
- Ercan , Z. , Carvalho , A. , Lefevre , S. , Borrelli , F. et al. Torque-Based Steering Assistance for Collision Avoidance during Lane Changes Adv. Veh. Control Proc. 13th Int. Symp. Adv. Veh. Control AVEC16 43 48 2016
- Kim , W. , Son , Y.S. , and Chung , C.C. Torque-Overlay-Based Robust Steering Wheel Angle Control of Electrical Power Steering for a Lane-Keeping System of Automated Vehicles IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 65 6 4379 4392 2016 10.1109/TVT.2015.2473115
- Chee , W. , Tomizuka , M. , Patwardhan , S. , and Zhang , W.-B. Experimental Study of Lane Change Maneuver for AHS Applications Proceedings of 1995 American Control Conference - ACC’95 1995 139 143 1 10.1109/ACC.1995.529224
- Nelson , W. Continuous-Curvature Paths for Autonomous Vehicles 1989 International Conference on Robotics and Automation Proceedings 1989 1260 1264 3 10.1109/ROBOT.1989.100153
- Chee , W. and Tomizuka , M. 1994
- SAE International 2016
- Vedula , S.M. , Pandey , N.K. , Tellikepalli , K. , and Thimmalapura , S. 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0323
- Saleh , L. , Chevrel , P. , Claveau , F. , Lafay , J. et al. Shared Steering Control Between a Driver and an Automation: Stability in the Presence of Driver Behavior Uncertainty IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 14 2 974 983 2013 10.1109/TITS.2013.2248363
- Pick , A.J. and Cole , D.J. Dynamic Properties of a Driver’s Arms Holding a Steering Wheel Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part J. Automob. Eng. 221 12 1475 1486 2007 10.1243/09544070JAUTO460