This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Adaptive Powertrain Control Utilizing ADAS and GPS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper introduces the advancement of Engine Idle Stop-and-Go (ISG, also known as Auto Engine Stop-Start) and Neutral Coasting Control (NCC) with utilizing Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) and GPS. The ISG and the In-Neutral Coasting (also known as Sailing or Gliding) have been widely implemented in recent vehicles for improving their fuel economy. However, many drivers find them somewhat disturbing because they basically change behaviors of their cars from what they used to. This annoyance discourages usages of those functions and eventually undermines their benefit of fuel saving. In order to mitigate the problem, new ISG and NCC algorithms are proposed. As opposed to the conventional logics that rely only on driver’s pedal action, the new algorithms determine whether or not to enable those functions for the given driving condition, based on the traffic information obtained using ADAS sensors and the location data from GPS and navigation map. With the ADAS module, the movement of a vehicle ahead is continuously monitored, and driver’s reaction to the movement is predicted and reflected in controlling ISG and NCC. The proximity to a traffic point where driver would not want to activate those functions is also observed to automatically deactivate them near the traffic point. This adaptiveness helps enhance the situational appropriateness of the two functions, thereby reducing driver’s discomfort and promoting the usage to save more fuel. This paper describes concepts of the new ISG and NCC algorithms and demonstrates the result of the actual in-vehicle test conducted under real-world traffic.
- Sejun Kim - Hyundai Motor Co.
- Jason H. Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Kwangwoo Jeong - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Jaihyun Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Sanghoon Yoo - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Byungho Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Jinho Ha - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
CitationLee, J., Jeong, K., Lee, J., Yoo, S. et al., "Development of Adaptive Powertrain Control Utilizing ADAS and GPS," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0883, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0883.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Ziebinski , A. , Cupek , R. , Erdogan , H. , and Waechter , S. A Survey of ADAS Technologies for the Future Perspective of Sensor Fusion International Conference on Computational Collective Intelligence 2016 135 146 10.1007/978-3-319-45246-3_13
- Yoshida , T. , Kuroda , H. , and Nishigaito , T. Adaptive Driver-Assistance Systems Hitachi Review 53 4 213 2004
- Kim , S. , Yu , J. , Gwon , C. , and Kim , H. Idle Stop & Go System Development for Automatic Transmission Vehicle KSAE Spring Conference Proceedings 2011 647 652
- Walker , P.D. , Zhang , N. , and Tamba , R. Control of Gear Shifts in Dual Clutch Transmission Powertrains Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 25 6 1923 1936 2011
- Shakouri , P. , Ordys , A. , Darnell , P. , and Kavanagh , P. Fuel Efficiency by Coasting in the Vehicle International Journal of Vehicular Technology 2013 10.1155/2013/391650
- Lee , H. , Lee , J. , Yoo , S. , Jeong , K. et al. Utilization of ADAS for Improving Performance of Coasting in Neutral SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0603 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0603
- Okuda , R. , Kajiwara , Y. , and Terashima , K. A Survey of Technical Trend of ADAS and Autonomous Driving VLSI Technology, Systems and Application (VLSI-TSA), Proceedings of Technical Program-2014 International Symposium on 2014 1 4
- Abe , G. and Richardson , J. Alarm Timing, Trust and Driver Expectation for Forward Collision Warning Systems Applied Ergonomics 37 5 577 586 2006 10.1016/j.apergo.2005.11.001
- Wang , J. , Zhang , L. , Zhang , D. , and Li , K. An Adaptive Longitudinal Driving Assistance System Based on Driver Characteristics IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System 14 1 1 12 2013 10.1109/TITS.2012.2205143