This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiment Studies of Charging Strategy for Lithium-Ion Batteries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Regarding the lithium-ion batteries used in the electric vehicle, charging time and charging efficiency are the concern of the public. In this paper, a lot of experiments were conducted to investigate the common charging strategies, including the CC-CV (constant current-constant voltage) charging and the pulse current charging, for the LiFePO4 batteries, which are still widely used in commercial vehicles. Charging temperature and the charging current in the CC phase are the main influence factors to be studied for the CC-CV charging strategy, and the contribution of the CC phase and CV phase to the whole charging is analyzed from three aspects, including the time percent, charging energy efficiency and the capacity of battery at different temperatures and charging current. Regarding the pulse charging strategy, the pulse frequency is determined from the perspective of energy loss, then the experiments for pulse charging with different pulse mode, different duty cycle, as well as different charging temperature and charging current were conducted to study the characteristic of pulse charging. In order to eliminate the battery polarization, we optimized the charging current at the end of charging before the battery voltage reaches the cut-off voltage, and the optimization including transforming the large current to a small charging current or pulse charging current. The experiment result indicates that, small charging current can not only cut down the charging time, but also improves the charging efficiency. This strategy is suitable for fast charging of lithium-ion batteries. Finally, some constructive suggestions for the determination of charging strategy are provided according to the above experiment results.
CitationYu, P., Dai, H., and Wei, X., "Experiment Studies of Charging Strategy for Lithium-Ion Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0792, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0792.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Zheng, C., “The Research of Electric Vehicle Storage Power Technology,” B.E. (Lanzhou Petrochemical College of Vocational Technology), 2002.
- Yanqin, Z., “Charging Methods and their Evaluation Index of Li-Ion Battery,” Chinese Battery Industry 18:99-102, 2013, doi:10.3969/j.issn.10087923.2013.03.001.
- Kunkel, S., Zimmer, T., and Wachtmeister, G., “Friction Analysis of Oil Control Rings during Running-In,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(3):747-758, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2428.
- Liangyou M., Shengming L., Quanshi C., " Intelligentized Rapid Charging of Batteries for Electric Vehicles”, Journal of Wuhan University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition), 2010, 33(2): 218-221.doi:10.3969/j.issn.1674-3644.2010.02.023.
- Qingshan, S. and Yuezhou, L., “Influence of Ambient Temperature on Charge Efficiency of Alkaline Storage Battery,” Chinese Battery Industry 8(4):151-153, 2003, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1008-7923.2003.04.002.
- The Breakthrough of Research on the Slow Pulse Fast Charge Method of Lead Acid Storage Battery,” Chinese Labat Man 46(2):72-76, 2009, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1006-0847.2009.02.005.
- Jinghong, Z., Chengning, Z., and Wang, Z., “The Research about Quick Pulse Charge System of Lead-Acid Battery for Electric Vehicle,” Chinese Journal of Power Sources 30(6):504-506, 2006, doi:10.3969/j.issn.1002-087X.2006.06.020.
- Liang-Rui, C., “Design of Duty-Varied Voltage Pulse Charger for Improving Li-Ion Battery-Charging Response,” Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions 56(2):480-487, 2009, doi:10.1109/TIE.2008.2002725.
- Li, J. et al., “The Effects of Pulse Charging on Cycling Characteristics of Commercial Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 102(1-2):302-309, 2001, doi:10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00820-5.
- Zhang, S.S., Xu, K., and Jow, T.R., “Study of the Charging Process of a LiCoO2-Based Li-Ion Battery,” Journal of Power Sources 160:1349-1354, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.02.087.