This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Research on Vehicle Gearbox Whine Based on Multi-Physics Coupling Simulation and Psychoacoustics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle gearbox whine is a common NVH problem which may directly cause complains from passengers on the quality and performance of vehicle. In order to efficiently and fundamentally control the whine phenomenon, this work first studied the characteristics and mechanisms of the gearbox vibration and noise. The study results revealed that the transmission error of gear was the excitation source of gearbox vibration, and the ambient air was the main transfer path of radiation noise. Then a multi-physics coupling simulation model was built to reveal the interactions among gear, housing and ambient air. This model could also predict the characteristics of the sound field near the passenger’s ear. To take account the psychoacoustic property of human auditory system, this work applied a quality index called tonality to evaluate the severity of gearbox whine. This paper also describes a case study to verify the accuracy and availability of the simulation model. In this case, the whine phenomenon of a practical gearbox was simulated with the proposed model first, and then an optimization on the micro geometry of gear was applied to decrease the noise level to an acceptable level. The main significance of this work is to propose an integrated and effective approach to control the gearbox whine. The indicative conclusions of this work could be referred by NVH engineers in the early phase of vehicle gearbox development.
|Technical Paper||Attenuation of Driveline Vibrations through Tuning of Propeller Shaft Liners|
|Technical Paper||Minimize Driveline Gear Noise by Optimization Technique|
|Technical Paper||Robust Design of Elastic Mounting Systems|
CitationTang, S. and Xu, Y., "A Research on Vehicle Gearbox Whine Based on Multi-Physics Coupling Simulation and Psychoacoustics," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0779, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0779.
- Abreu , R. Diagnostic of the Gear Box Transmission Noise of a Popular Vehicle through Vibration Analysis and Operational Modal Analysis Techniques SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0638 2012 10.4271/2012-36-0638
- Liao , F. , Gao , W. , Gu , Y. , Kang , F. et al. Analysis of Gear Rattle Noise and Vibration Characteristics Using Relative Approaches SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1121 2016 10.4271/2016-01-1121
- Chung , C. , Steyer , G. , Abe , T. , Clapper , M. et al. Gear Noise Reduction through Transmission Error Control and Gear Blank Dynamic Tuning SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1766 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1766
- Howard , D. and Angus , J. Acoustics and Psychoacoustics Fifth New York Routledge 2017 10.4324/9781315716879
- Sengottuvel , A. , Chennakrishnan , M. , and Hatti , K. A Study of Sound Source Characteristics for Vehicle Airborne Transfer Function Measurement SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2343 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2343