This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Considerations of Periodical Technical Inspection of Vehicles with deNO x Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An independent periodical technical inspection (PTI)*) of vehicles is proposed in the last time as a better prevention against increased emissions of the fleet.
Several projects focused on the Diesel vehicles (HD & LD) and on the functionality of the exhaust aftertreatment systems as a key element for lowering emissions of a vehicle or machine.
The present paper summarizes the results obtained on 3 modern passenger cars Euro 6b (with EGR, DOC, DPF & SCR) during load jumps, representing the heat-up or cool-down behaviour of the exhaust system.
The portable devices for PTI were tested together with the stationary measuring systems of the engine laboratory.
In the second part of the report, the present knowledge and proposals of supplementary test procedures (like IUC or PTI) were shortly described.
It can be stated that the efficiency of the SCR-systems in a short PTI test is visible, and it is possible to quantify it in the positive or negative load jump, if a longer driving period at the constant OP (10 to 15 minutes) is realized in order to attain the stabilization of the system. For that a chassis dynamometer is recommended. A simple “5 minutes” test of the functionality of a deNOx system is not possible. On the contrary, the testing of DPF quality can be easily and quickly performed by means of a PN-measurement at vehicle standstill and it became already a legal reality in some countries.
CitationCzerwinski, J., Comte, P., Engelmann, D., Mayer, A. et al., "Considerations of Periodical Technical Inspection of Vehicles with deNOx Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0744, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0744.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Czerwinski , J. , Zimmerli , Y. , Mayer , A. , Heeb , N. , and D’Urbano , G. Diesel Emission with DPF+SCR in VERTdePN - Testing & Potentials SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1139 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1139
- Czerwinski , J. , Zimmerli , Y. , Mayer , A. , Heeb , N. et al. VERTdePN Quality Test Procedures of DPF+SCR Systems SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1579 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1579
- Czerwinski , J. , Zimmerli , Y. , Mayer , A. , Heeb , N. et al. Testing of SCR-Systems on HD-Vehicles-TeVeNOx SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1569 2014
- Czerwinski , J. and Heeb , N. x 2013
- Eidgenossenschaft , S. 2016
- Kadijk , G. , Elstgeest , M. , Ligterink , N.E. , and van der Mark , P.J. www.tno.nl
- Kadijk , G. NPTI - the New Periodic Technical Inspection Emission Test Procedure for Vehicles with Emission Control Systems TNO NL, 21st ETH-Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles June 19th-22nd 2017 www.nanoparticles.ch
- 2018 www.nanoparticles.ch
- Giechaskiel , B. , Suarez-Bertoa , R. , Lähde , T. , Clairotte , M. et al. Evaluation of NO x Emissions of a Retrofitted Euro 5 Passenger Car for the Horizon prize ″Engine retrofit″ Environmental Research 166 298 309 2018
- Czerwinski , J. , Zimmerli , Y. , Comte , P. , Cachon , L. , and Riccobono , F. Potentials of the Portable Emission Measuring Systems (PN PEMS) to Control Real Driving Emissions (RDE) 38th International Vienna Motor Symposium April 27 - 28 2017
- Czerwinski , J. , Comte , P. , Zimmerli , Y. , Cachon , L. , Remmele , E. , and Huber , G. Research of Emissions with Gas PEMS and PN PEMS. TAP 2017 22nd International Transport and Air Pollution Conference, EMPA Dübendorf, Zürich November 15-16 2017
- Czerwinski , J. , Zimmerli , Y. , Hüssy , A. , Engelmann , D. et al. Testing and evaluating real driving emissions with PEMS PTNSS Journal Combustion Engines. 173 4 17 25 2018 10.19206/CE-2018-302