This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation for the Hybrid Process of Sheet Metal Forming and Injection Molding Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An innovative process to produce polymer-sheet metal components in one single operation is analyzed in this paper. Polymer Injection Forming (PIF) is a hybrid process which combines best in class manufacturing processes viz. sheet metal forming and injection molding process. Consequently, this unique process is characterized by a substantial reduction in capital costs and production time and planning effort while also eliminating the need for maintaining tight manufacturing tolerances. To make use of these capabilities in high-speed injection molding process, understanding the dynamic characteristic of the melt flow is required, which cannot be achieved with regular mesh-based Finite Element (FE) methods due to their need for high computational effort and mesh distortion issue. Hence, in this study, the high-speed injection of the polymer melt is simulated using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH), a mesh-free fully-Lagrangian method which eliminates mesh distortion inevitable in high deformation rates of the polymer melt. The SPH method for polymer melt simulation is coupled with the FE method to analyze the elastoplastic deformation of sheet metal. Finally, Comparisons were made between the simulation and experimental results for AA1100-O and a Polypropylene-Olefin compound with different process parameters settings.
CitationFarahani, S., Yelne, A., Akhavan Niaki, F., and Pilla, S., "Numerical Simulation for the Hybrid Process of Sheet Metal Forming and Injection Molding Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics Method," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0713, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0713.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Grujicic, M. , “Injection Overmolding of Polymer-Metal Hybrid Structures,” Joining of Polymer-Metal Hybrid Structures: Principles and Applications 277-305, 2018.
- Pellettieri, J. , “The Power of Two Materials: Plastic Meets Metal,” 2017, Available: https://lightweightingworld.com/the-power-of-two-materials-plastic-meets-metal/.
- Brecher, C., Jeschke, S., Schuh, G., Aghassi, S., Arnoscht, J., Bauhoff, F. et al. , “Integrative Production Technology for High-Wage Countries,” Integrative Production Technology for High-Wage Countries, Springer, 2012, 17-76.
- Altan, M. and Yavuz, B. , “A Novel Method for Manufacturing Polymer/Metal Hybrid Structures,” Acta Physica Polonica A 129:639-641, 2016.
- Chen, M., Zhang, X., Lei, Q., and Fu, J. , “Finite Element Analysis of Forming of Sheet Metal Blank in Manufacturing Metal/Polymer Macro-Composite Components via Injection Moulding,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 42:375-383, 2002.
- Parng, S. and Yang, S. , “Fracture Types and Thickness Distribution in Superplastic Sheets Formed with Plastic Injection Molding,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 16:503-518, 2001.
- Hussain, M.M., Trompeter, M., Witulski, J., and Tekkaya, A.E. , “An Experimental and Numerical Investigation on Polymer Melt Injected Sheet Metal Forming,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 134:031005, 2012.
- Hussain, M.M. , “Polymer Injection Sheet Metal Forming-Experiments and Modeling,” Shaker, 2013.
- Razzaq, M. , “Finite Element Simulation Techniques for Incompressible Fluid Structure interaction with applications to Bioengineering and optimization,” 2011.
- Farahani, S., Arezodar, A.F., Dariani, B.M., and Pilla, S. , “An Analytical Model for Non-Hydrostatic Sheet Metal Bulging Process by Means of polymer Melt Pressure,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 2018.
- Gingold, R.A. and Monaghan, J.J. , “Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics: Theory and Application to Non-Spherical Stars,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 181:375-389, 1977.
- Monaghan, J.J. , “Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics,” Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics 30:543-574, 1992.
- Liu, M. and Liu, G. , “Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH): An Overview and Recent Developments,” Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering 17:25-76, 2010.
- Schlatter, B. , “A Pedagogical Tool Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics to Model Fluid Flow Past a System of Cylinders,” Dual MS Project, Oregon State University, 1999.
- Systèmes, D. , “Abaqus Analysis User’s Guide,” Solid (Continuum) Elements 6, 2014.
- Mueller, T. and Henning, F. , “Simulation of Combined Forming and Injection Molding Processes,” 2015 SIMULIA Community Conference, 2015.
- An Analytical Model for Nonhydrostatic Sheet Metal Bulging Process by Means of Polymer Melt Pressure,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 140:091010, 2018.
- Demirci, H.I., Esner, C., and Yasar, M. , “Effect of the Blank Holder Force on Drawing of Aluminum Alloy Square Cup: Theoretical and Experimental Investigation,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 206:152-160, 2008.
- Gutscher, G., Wu, H.-C., Ngaile, G., and Altan, T. , “Determination of Flow Stress for Sheet Metal Forming Using the Viscous Pressure Bulge (VPB) Test,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 146:1-7, 2004.
- Kaya, S., Altan, T., Groche, P., and Klöpsch, C. , “Determination of the Flow Stress of Magnesium AZ31-O Sheet at Elevated Temperatures Using the Hydraulic Bulge Test,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 48:550-557, 2008.