This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Drive-by-Wire Conversion of an FMVSS-500 Vehicle for Autonomous Driving Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Autonomous driving has witnessed many developments in the past decade. Most automotive manufacturers and technology companies have been investing in the software and platform development of these vehicles, and long strides have been made in this domain. Nonetheless, academia has been partially isolated from the practical efforts of these developments, due to the cost involved in converting a standard vehicle into a drive-by-wire platform suitable for self-driving vehicular research. In this paper, a low-cost autonomous vehicle platform is developed and the process for converting a Polaris Gem e2 FMVSS-500 vehicle to brake-by-wire, throttle-by-wire, and steer-by-wire is elaborated. The tools and the procedures followed here were all conducted by students, in house, and can be easily duplicated for other FMVSS-500 compatible vehicles. Discussions include the interface of an embedded controller for an electric power steering system, electronic control of hydraulic brake pressure, and modulation of vehicle velocity and acceleration. Complete system operation via remote control is demonstrated.
CitationYeranosian, V., Patel, N., Vega, J., Mohammad, U. et al., "A Drive-by-Wire Conversion of an FMVSS-500 Vehicle for Autonomous Driving Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0704, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0704.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- CDC Vital Signs, “Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths: How Is the US Doing?,” July 2016, https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/pdf/2016-07-vitalsigns.pdf, accessed Oct. 2018.
- Thrun, S., “Stanley: The Robot That Won the DARPA Grand Challenge,” Journal of Field Robotics 23(9):661-692, 2006.
- Guizzo, E., “Autonomous Vehicle Driving from Italy to China,” IEEE Spectrum, Sep. 21, 2010, accessed on Oct. 2018.
- Urmson, C. et al., “Autonomous Driving in Urban Environments: Boss and the Urban Challenge,” Journal of Field Robotics Special Issue on the 2007 DARPA Urban Challenge, Part I 25(8):425-466, June 2008.
- “Google Driving Car Waymo,” https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/, accessed Oct. 2018.
- “Tesla’s Autopilot,” https://www.tesla.com/autopilot, accessed Oct. 2018.
- Koopman, P. and Wagner, M., “Challenges in Autonomous Vehicle Testing and Validation,” SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 4(1):15-24, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0128.
- “Model Specifications,” Global Electric Motorcars - Passenger & Utility Vehicles, gem.polaris.com/en-us/e2/specs/, accessed Feb. 2019.
- Leppin, K., Ball, K., Kurdila, A., and West, R., “The Conversion of a General Motors Cadillac SRX to Drive-By-Wire Status,” Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Kalinowski, J., Drage, J., and Braunl, T., “Drive-by-Wire for an Autonomous Formula SAE Car,” in Proceedings of the 19th World Congress, The International Federation of Automatic Control, Cape Town, South Africa, August 24-29, 2014.
- Deshpande, A., Mathur, K., and Hall, E., “Comparison of Three Control Methods for an Autonomous Vehicle,” University of Cincinnati.
- Yih, P., “Steer-by-Wire: Implications for Vehicle Handling and Safety,” A dissertation submitted to the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 2015.
- Chen, X., Xiang, L., Zhao, H., and Zha, H., “An Automatic Steering and Tracking System for Autonomous Vehicles Based on EPS,” 2012. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7e46/b311766bf62d6f0905cf6ca5e888046c724b.pdf, accessed Oct. 2018.
- Milanes, V., Gonzalez, C., Naranjo, J.E., Onieva, E., and De Pedro, T., “Electro-Hydraulic Braking System for Autonomous Vehicles,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 11(1):89-95, 2010.
- “Hydrastar Trailer Brake Actuators,” https://www.hydrastarusa.com, accessed Oct. 2018.
- Broschka, David, Kepner Products. “So You Think You Know Shuttle Valves?,” Nov. 2016, https://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/hydraulic-valves/so-you-think-you-know-shuttle-valves, accessed Oct. 2018.