Autonomous Driving Development Rapid Prototyping Using ROS and Simulink
Published April 2, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Recent years have witnessed increasing interest in Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and Autonomous Driving (AD) development, motivating the growth of new sensor technologies and control platforms. However, to keep pace with this acceleration and to evaluate system performance, a cost and time effective software development and testing framework is required. This paper presents an overview utilizing Robotic Operating System (ROS) middleware and MATLAB/Simulink® Robotics System Toolbox to achieve these goals. As an example of employing this framework for autonomous development and testing, this article utilizes the FEV Smart Vehicle Demonstrator. The demonstrator is a reconfigurable and modular platform highlighting the power and flexibility of using ROS and MATLAB/Simulink® for AD rapid prototyping. High-level autonomous path following and braking are presented as two case studies. Test results demonstrate the portability, maintainability, and reliability of the presented system.
CitationAlzu'bi, H., Nagaraj, S., Alrousan, Q., and Quail, A., "Autonomous Driving Development Rapid Prototyping Using ROS and Simulink," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0695, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0695.
- Lent, Susan, et al.,” Autonomous Vehicles: Navigating the Legal and Regulatory Issues of a Driverless World,” Global TEC Forum, Apr. 12, 2018.
- Krok, A., “Kroger’s Autonomous Grocery Delivery Kicks Off in Arizona,” www.cnet.com, Aug. 17, 2018.
- McGee, J., “Nashville Transit Referendum: Where do Uber, Lyft, Autonomous Vehicles Fit In?,” www.tennessean.com, Apr. 6, 2018.
- Lampinen, M., “OEMs Need Modular Platform Strategies for Software, Automotive Megatrends,” Q2, 2018.
- Lentin, J., “ROS Robotics Projects,” Packt Publishing, Mar. 2017.
- Aeberhard, M., Kuhbeck, T., Seidl, B., Friedl, M. et al., “Automated Driving with ROS at BMW,” Germany, 2015.
- Lussereau, J., Stein, P., David, J.-A., Rummelhard, L. et al., “Integration of ADAS Algorithm in a Vehicle Prototype,” in IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Robotics and its Social Impacts ARSO 2015, Lyon, France, July 2015, http://arso2015.inria.fr/.
- Tokunaga, S. and Azumi, T., “Demo Abstract: Co-Simulation Framework for Autonomous Driving Systems with MATLAB/Simulink,” IEEE Computer Society, Jan. 2017.
- Schenk, P., “Real-Time Control Prototyping of Driver Assistance and Autonomous Driving Technologies at Mobileye,” May 2015.
- Bhadani, R.K., Sprinkle, J., and Bunting, M., “The CAT Vehicle TestBed: A Simulator with Hardware in the Loop for Autonomous Vehicle Applications,” in 2nd International Workshop on Safe Control of Autonomous Vehicles (SCAV 2018), EPTCS 269, 2018.
- E-Learning Paradigms and Applications: Agent-Based Approach (Berlin: Springer, 2014), doi:10.1007/978-3-642-41965-2.