This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Steerable Curvature Approach for Efficient Executable Path Planning for on-Road Autonomous Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A rapid path-planning algorithm that generates drivable paths for an autonomous vehicle operating in structural road is proposed in this paper. Cubic B-spline curve is adopted to generating smooth path for continuous curvature and, more, parametric basic points of the spline is adjusted to controlling the curvature extremum for kinematic constraints on vehicle. Other than previous approaches such as inverse kinematics, model-based prediction postprocess approach or closed-loop forward simulation, using the kinematics model in each iteration of path for smoothing and controlling curvature leading to time consumption increasing, our method characterized the vehicle curvature constraint by the minimum length of segment line, which synchronously realized constraint and smooth for generating path. And Differ from the path of robot escaping from a maze, the intelligent vehicle traveling on road in structured environments needs to meet the traffic rules. Therefore, the path could be simplified and segmented to four basic parts: go straight, lane change/merge, turn and U-turn. By given reasonable start and terminal, all the basic segments could be generated via parameterized cubic B-spline curve and a complete executable path would be connected by the four parts. In order to increase the comfortable capability by reducing extreme points of curvature and control the curvature extremum by steerable, an improvement program is employed, which assorts secondary spiral and arc to replacing the B-spline curve in generating segment of turn and U-turn. The simulation and real vehicle experimental results illustrate that the method in this paper is fast in generating drivable smooth path.
CitationZeng, D., Yu, Z., Xiong, L., Zhao, J. et al., "A Steerable Curvature Approach for Efficient Executable Path Planning for on-Road Autonomous Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0675, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0675.
- Paden, B., Ros, G., Codevilla, F., Lopez, A. et al., “A Survey of Motion Planning and Control Techniques for Self-Driving Urban Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 1(1):33-55, 2016.
- González, D., Pérez, J., Milanés, V., and Nashashibi, F., “A Review of Motion Planning Techniques for Automated Vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation Systems 17(4):1135-1145, 2016.
- Katrakazas, C., Quddus, M., Chen, W.H., and Deka, L., “Real-Time Motion Planning Methods for Autonomous on-Road Driving: State-of-the-Art and Future Research Directions,” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 60:416-442, 2015.
- LaValle, S.M. and Hutchinson, S.A., "Optimal Motion Planning for Multiple Robots Having Independent Goals," in 1996 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 1996. Proceedings, Vol. 3. IEEE, 1996.
- Li, Q., Zeng, Z., Yang, B., and Zhang, T., "Hierarchical Route Planning Based on Taxi GPS-Trajectories," in 2009 17th International Conference on Geoinformatics, IEEE, 2009.
- Likhachev, M. and Ferguson, D., “Planning Long Dynamically Feasible Maneuvers for Autonomous Vehicles,” The International Journal of Robotics Research 28(8):933-945, 2009.
- Kammel, S., Ziegler, J., Pitzer, B., Werling, M. et al., “Team AnnieWAY's Autonomous System for the 2007 DARPA Urban Challenge,” Journal of Field Robotics 25:9, 615-639, 2008.
- Stentz, A., “Optimal and Efficient Path Planning for Partially-Known Environments,” ICRA 94, 1994.
- Ferguson, D. and Stentz, A., “Using Interpolation to Improve Path Planning: The Field D* Algorithm,” Journal of Field Robotics 23(2):79-101, 2006.
- Nash, A., Daniel, K., Koenig, S., and Felner, A., “Theta*: Any-Angle Path Planning on Grids,” AAAI 7, 2007.
- Likhachev, M., Ferguson, D., Gordon, G., Stentz, A., and Thrun, S., “Anytime Search in Dynamic Graphs,” Artificial Intelligence 172(14):1613-1643, 2008.
- Ferguson, D., Howard, T.M., and Likhachev, M., “Motion Planning in Urban Environments,” Journal of Field Robotics 10:939-960, 2008.
- Pivtoraiko, M. and Kelly, A., "Efficient Constrained Path Planning via Search in State Lattices," in International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Automation in Space, 2005.
- Kushleyev, A. and Likhachev, M., "Time-Bounded Lattice for Efficient Planning in Dynamic Environments," in IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2009. ICRA'09, IEEE, 2009.
- McNaughton, M., Urmson, C., Dolan, J.M., and Lee, J.W. "Motion Planning for Autonomous Driving with a Conformal Spatiotemporal Lattice," in 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), IEEE, 2011.
- Gu, T., Snider, J., Dolan, J.M., and Lee, J.W., "Focused Trajectory Planning for Autonomous On-Road Driving," in 2013 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), IEEE, 2013.
- Werling, M., Kammel, S., Ziegler, J., and Groell, L., “Optimal Trajectories for Time-Critical Street Scenarios Using Discretized Terminal Manifolds,” The International Journal of Robotics Research 31(3):346-359, 2012.
- Karaman, S., Walter, M.R., Perez, A., Frazzoli, E. et al., "Anytime Motion Planning Using the RRT," Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2011.
- Aoude, G.S., Luders, B.D., Levine, D.S., and How, J.P., "Threat-Aware Path Planning in Uncertain Urban Environments," in Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), IEEE, 2010.
- Kuwata, Y., Teo, J., Fiore, G., Karaman, S. et al., “Real-Time Motion Planning with Applications to Autonomous Urban Driving,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 17:5, 1105-1118, 2009.
- Braid, D., Broggi, A., and Schmiedel, G., “The TerraMax Autonomous Vehicle,” . In: The 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge. (Berlin, Heidelberg, Springer, 2007), 129-153.
- Fuji, H., Xiang, J., Tazaki, Y., Levedahl, B. et al. "Trajectory Planning for Automated Parking Using Multi-Resolution State Roadmap Considering Non-Holonomic Constraints,” in 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium Proceedings, IEEE, 2014.
- Gonzalez, D., Pérez, J., and Milanés, V., “Parametric-Based Path Generation for Automated Vehicles at Roundabouts,” Expert Systems with Applications 71:332-341, 2017.
- Brezak, M. and Petrovi, I., “Real-Time Approximation of Clothoids with Bounded Error for Path Planning Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics 30(2):507-515, 2014.
- Petrov, P. and Nashashibi, F., “Modeling and Nonlinear Adaptive Control for Autonomous Vehicle Overtaking,” IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation Systems 15(4):1643-1656, 2014.
- Keller, C.G., Dang, T., Fritz, H., Joos, A. et al., “Active Pedestrian Safety by Automatic Braking and Evasive Steering,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 12:4, 1292-1304, 2011.
- Rastelli, J.P., Lattarulo, R., and Nashashibi, F., "Dynamic Trajectory Generation Using Continuous-Curvature Algorithms for Door to Door Assistance Vehicles," in 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium Proceedings, IEEE, 2014.
- Montes, N., Mora, M.C., and Tornero, J., "Trajectory Generation Based on Rational Bezier Curves as Clothoids," in 2007 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, IEEE, 2007.
- Trepagnier, P.G., Nagel, J., Kinney, P.M., Koutsougeras, C. et al., “KAT-5: Robust Systems for Autonomous Vehicle Navigation in Challenging and Unknown Terrain,” . In: The 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge. (Berlin, Heidelberg, Springer, 2007), 103-128.
- Berglund, T., Brodnik, A., Jonsson, H., Staffanson, M. et al., “Planning Smooth and Obstacle-Avoiding B-Spline Paths for Autonomous Mining Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering 7(1):167-172, 2010.
- Dolgov, D., Thrun, S., Montemerlo, M., and Diebel, J., “Path Planning for Autonomous Vehicles in Unknown Semi-Structured Environments,” The International Journal of Robotics Research 29(5):485-501, 2010.
- Ren, J., McIsaac, K.A., and Patel, R.V., “Modified Newton's Method Applied to Potential Field-Based Navigation for Mobile Robots,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics 22(2):384-391, 2006.
- Ma, L., Xue, J., Kawabata, K., Zhu, J. et al., “Efficient Sampling-Based Motion Planning for On-Road Autonomous Driving,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 16(4):1961-1976, 2015.
- Li, J., Dai, B., Li, X., Li, C. et al., "A Real-Time and Predictive Trajectory-Generation Motion Planner for Autonomous Ground Vehicles," in 2017 9th International Conference on Intelligent Human-Machine Systems and Cybernetics (IHMSC). Vol. 2. IEEE, 2017.
- Elbanhawi, M., Simic, M., and Jazar, R.N., “Continuous Path Smoothing for Car-Like Robots Using B-Spline Curves,” Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems 80(1):23-56, 2015.