This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Characteristics Simulation of Heavy Commercial Vehicles Passing through Expressway Tunnel in Cross Wind
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Considering the aerodynamic characteristics of the vehicle traveling under the crosswind and the complexity of the flow field change, this paper uses overset mesh of STAR CCM+ software to carry out CFD simulation analysis on the aerodynamic characteristics of heavy commercial vehicles passing through the highway tunnel of which entrance and exit exist crosswind. Corresponding aerodynamic coefficients and flow field changes around the body at different crosswind speeds and different tunnel forms are monitored. The results show that the yaw moment is sensitive to the speed of crosswind. When a heavy commercial vehicle passes through a tunnel where crosswind increases from 10m/s to 13m/s,the yaw moment change rate increases from 34.8 kN•m/s to 45.9 kN•m/s. It also can be seen in these results is that when passing through two tunnels with a distance, the heavy commercial vehicle’s side force, roll moment and yaw moment change because of the surrounding periodic variation of flow field.
CitationMa, X., Miao, Z., Ma, J., Zhang, Z. et al., "Aerodynamic Characteristics Simulation of Heavy Commercial Vehicles Passing through Expressway Tunnel in Cross Wind," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0666, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0666.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Lihua, C.A.O., “The Research of Vehicle Dynamic Response under Crosswind Conditions,” Energy Conservation and Environmental Protection. 2:56-62, 2013.
- GU Zheng-qi, Study of the Affect the Aerodynamic Side Froce on the Property of Automobile, 1993，20(2):68-72.
- Gajendra, S. and Nagpurwala, M., “Numerical Investigations on Crosswind Aerodynamics and its Effect on the Stability of a Passenger Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0059, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-26-0059.
- Guo, K.-H. and Bo-Zhong, L., “Simulation of High Speed Automobile Passing through Cross-wind and Analysis of Parameters on Cross-wind Stability,” Journal of Jilin University of Technology. 24(4):1-7, 1994.
- D Thomas， B Diedrichs，M Berg，S Stichel, “Dynamics of a High-Speed Rail Vehicle Negotiating Curves at Unsteady Crosswind,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 2010 6:567-579.
- Hai Gui-Chun，Gu Zheng-Qi，Wang He-Yi, “Research on the Effect of Crosswinds on the Stability of High Speed Vehicles. Journal of Hunan University(Naturnal Science). 2006，2:40-43.
- Makoto, T. and Takuji, N., “Large Eddy Simulation on the Unsteady Aerodynamic Response of a Road Vehicle in Transient Crosswinds,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 6:1075-1086, 2010.
- Li Jie, Zhang Zhe, Zhang Yingchao, “Research on Effects of Crosswind on Handling and Stability of Vehicle With High Speed,” 2010 China Automotive Engineering Society Annual Conference Proceedings. SAE-C2010C172, 2010, 1380-1383.
- Qiang, F. and Xiaosuo, W., “Calculation and Calculation of Contour Dimension of Highway Tunnel Section,” Journal of Highway and Transportation Science and Technology(Application Technology Edition) 9:161-163, 2011.
- Zhuo, Z., “Construction Technology Method and Countermeasure of Expressway Tunnel Engineering,” Shangpin yu zhiliang. 7, 2015.
- Favre, T. and Efraimsson, G., “An Assessment of Detached-Eddy Simulations of Unsteady Crosswind Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 87:133-163, 2011.
- Weijiang, M., Study on Unsteady Flow and Aerodynamic Noise Characteristics of Side Mirror (Changchun: Master 's Degree Thesis of Jilin University, 2017).
- Yingchao, Z., Numerical Simulation of Automotive Aerodynamics (Beijing: Peking University Press, 2011), 6.
- Safety Driving Guidance for China's Expressway,” Auto & Safety 12:67-69, 2016.
- Roger Macklin，Kevin Garry and Jeff Howell. Assessing the Effects of Shear and Turbulence During the Dynamic Testing of the Crosswind Sensitivity of Road Vehicles, SAE Technical Paper 970135, 1997, 10.4271/970135.
- Zhe, Z., Joint Research on Heavy-duty Truck Aerodynamic Characteristics and Stability Under Crosswind Effects (Changchun: Jilin University Doctoral Thesis, 2012).
- Wang Fuliang，Fu Limin，Hu Xingjun，Zhang Yingchao.Transient Numerical Simulation Study of the Effects of Crosswind on the Aerodynamic Performance of a Sedan Journal of Jinlin University(Engineering and Technology Edition).2008.9.