This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Uncertainty Quantification of Flow Uniformity Measurements in a Slotted Wall Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The need for a more complete understanding of the flow behavior in aerodynamic wind tunnels has increased as they have become vital tools not only for vehicle development, but also for vehicle certification. One important aspect of the behavior is the empty test section flow, which in a conventional tunnel should be as uniform as possible. In order to assess the uniformity and ensure consistent behavior over time, accurate measurements need to be performed regularly. Furthermore, the uncertainties and errors of the measurements need to be minimized in order to resolve small non-uniformities. In this work, the quantification of the measurement uncertainties from the full measurement chain of the new flow uniformity measurement rig for the Volvo Cars aerodynamic wind tunnel is presented. The simulation based method used to account for flow interference of the probe mount is also discussed. The flow measurement rig is custom made to facilitate fast and accurate measurements with low interference. The cost is minimized by using standard off-the-shelf five hole probes and facility installed pressure measurement instrumentation, which are shown to give sufficient measurement quality when calibrated in situ. Example measurements of flow angularity and static pressure uniformity, with accompanying uncertainties, are presented and discussed.
CitationLjungskog, E., Sebben, S., and Broniewicz, A., "Uncertainty Quantification of Flow Uniformity Measurements in a Slotted Wall Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0656, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0656.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Walter , J. , Duell , E. , Martindale , B. , Arnette , S. et al. The DaimlerChrysler Full-Scale Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0426 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0426
- Waudby-Smith , P. , Bender , T. , and Vigneron , R. The GIE S2A Full-Scale Aero-acoustic Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0808 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0808
- Duell , E.G. , Kharazi , A. , Muller , S. , Ebeling , W. et al. TheBMWAVZWind Tunnel Center SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0118 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0118
- Nilsson , L.-U. and Berndtsson , A. The New Volvo Multipurpose Automotive Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 870249 1987 10.4271/870249
- Sternéus , J. , Walker , T. , and Bender , T. Upgrade of the Volvo Cars Aerodynamic Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1043 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1043
- Bender , T. , Hoff , P. , and Kleemann , R. The New BMW Climatic Testing Complex - The Energy and Environment Test Centre SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0167 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0167
- BIPM, IEC, IFCC, ILAC, IUPAP, ISO, OIML, and IUPAC 2008
- 2003 146 10.2514/4.476624
- Giordano , M. 2016
- Bezanson , J. , Edelman , A. , Karpinski , S. , and Shah , V. Julia: A Fresh Approach to Numerical Computing SIAM Review 59 1 65 98 2017 10.1137/141000671
- Pressure Systems Inc.
- Ljungskog , E. 2017
- Shur , M.L. , Spalart , P.R. , Strelets , M.K. , and Travin , A.K. A Hybrid RANS-LES Approach with Delayed-DES and Wallmodelled LES Capabilities International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 29 6 1638 1649 2008 10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2008.07.001
- Cyr , S. , Ih , K.-D. , and Park , S.-H. Accurate Reproduction of Wind-Tunnel Results with CFD SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0158 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0158
- Wittenbrink , C.M. , Pang , A.T. , and Lodha , S.K. Glyphs for Visualizing Uncertainty in Vector Fields IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 2 3 266 279 1996 10.1109/2945.537309