This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of Wiper Drawback
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Windscreen wipers are an integral component of the windscreen cleaning systems of most vehicles, trains, cars, trucks, boats and some planes. Wipers are used to clear rain, snow, and dirt from the windscreen pushing the water from the wiped surface. Under certain conditions however, water which has been driven to the edge of the windscreen by the wiper can be drawn back into the driver’s field of view by aerodynamic forces introduced by the wiper motion. This is wiper drawback, an undesirable phenomenon as the water which is drawn back on to the windscreen can reduce driver’s vision and makes the wiper less effective.
The phenomena of wiper drawback can be tested for in climatic tunnels using sprayer systems to wet the windscreen. However, these tests require a bespoke test property or prototype vehicle, which means that the tests are done fairly late in the development of the vehicle. Furthermore, these results do not provide significant insight into the mechanisms driving the wiper drawback.
In order to better understand wiper drawback a numerical simulation is presented of a configuration known to exhibit this phenomenon. This requires the inclusion into an aerodynamics solver of: moving wipers, a surface film model, and a representation of airborne spray.
Using the results of this simulation, the forces causing the drawback of the water film, along with the mechanism for introducing these forces are studied. Through understanding the driving factors in wiper drawback, it can be avoided earlier in the development cycle.
CitationJilesen, J., Gaylard, A., and Linden, T., "Numerical Investigation of Wiper Drawback," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0640, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0640.
- Gaylard , A.P. , Kirwan , K. , and Lockerby , D.A. Surface Contamination of Cars: A Review Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D 2017
- Hagemeier , T. , Hartmann , M. , and Thevenin , D. Practice of Vehicle Soiling Investigations: A Review International Journal of Multiphase Flow 37 8 860 875 2011
- Anderson , M. 1903
- Jepson , J.W. 1916
- Gaylard , A.P. , Wilson , A.C. and Bambrook , G.S.J. A Quasi-Unsteady Description of Windscreen Wiper Induced Flow Structures 6th MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics 2006
- Clarke , J.S. and Lumley , R.R. Problems Associated with Windscreen Wiping SAE Technical Paper 600134 1960 10.4271/600134
- Dawley , M.W. Aerodynamic Effects on Automotive Components SAE Technical Paper 650134 1965 10.4271/650134
- Jallet , S. , Devos , S. , Maubray , D. , Sortais , J.-L. et al. Numerical Simulation of Wiper System Aerodynamic Behavior SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0036 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0036
- Billot , P. , Jallet , S. , and Marmonier , F. Simulation of Aerodynamic Uplift Consequences on Pressure Repartition - Application on an Innovative Wiper Blade Design SAE Paper 2001-01-0043 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1043
- Foucart , H. and Blain , E. Water-Flow Simulation on Vehicle Panels by Taking into Account the Calculated Aerodynamic Field SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3572 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3572
- Strumolo , G. VAWT: The Virtual Aerodynamic/Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel Journal of Engineering Mathematics 43 2-4 173 187 2002
- Gaylard , A. , Fagg , M. , Bannister , M. , Duncan , B. et al. Modelling A-Pillar Water Overflow: Developing CFD and Experimental Methods SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 5 2 789 800 2012
- Jilesen , J. , Gaylard , A. , Linden , T. , and Alajbegovic , A. Update on A-Pillar Overflow Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0717 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0717
- Chen , S. and Doolen , D. Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 30 329 364 1998
- Qian , T. , D'Humieres , D. , and Lallemand , P. Lattice BGK Models for Navier-Stokes Equation Europhys Lett. 17 6 479 484 1992
- Kotopati , R. , Keating , A. , Kandasamy , S. , Duncan , B. et al. The Lattice-Boltzmann-VLES Method for Automotive Fluid Dynamics Simulation, a Review SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0057 2009 10.4271/2009-26-0057
- Kuthada , T. and Cyr , S. Approaches to Vehicle Soiling Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics, IV, Numerical Methods Renningen 2006
- Jilesen , J. , Gaylard , A. , Duncan , B. , Konstantinov , A. , and Wanderer , J. Simulation of Rear and Body Side Vehicle Soiling by Road Sprays Using Transient Particle Tracking SA Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 1 2013
- Dasarathan , D. , Jilesen , J. , Croteau , D. , and Ayala , R. CFD Water Management Design for a Passenger Coach with Correlation 2016 SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress Rosemont, IL 2016
- O'Rourke P. and Amsden A.A. The TAB Method for Numerical Calculations of Spray Droplet Breakup 1987
- O'Rourke , P. and Amsden , A. A Spray/Wall Interaction Submodel for the KIVA-3 Wall Film Model SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0271 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0271
- Mundo , C. , Sommerfeld , M. , and Tropea , C. Droplet-Wall Collisions: Experimental Studies of the Deformation and Breakup Process Int. J. Multiphase Flow 21 151 173 1995
- Hodgson , G. , Passmore , M. , Garmory , A. , and Gaylard , A. An Objective Measure for Automotive Surface Contamination SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0727 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0727
- Chen , H. , Chen , S. , and Matthaeus , W.H. Recovery of the Navier-Stokes Equations Using a Lattice-Gas Boltzmann Method Phys. Rev. A 45 8 R5339 R5342 1992
- Borg , A. and Vevang , R. On the Development of a Wind Tunnel method for the Prediction of Exterior Contamination 5th MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics UK Oct. 13-14, 2004
- Campos F. , Mendonca F. and Weston S. Vehicle Soiling Simulation 6th Mira International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics Gaydon, Warwickshire, UK 2006
- Jilesen , J. , Gaylard , A. , Spruss , I. , Kuthada , T. et al. Advances in Modelling A-Pillar Water Overflow SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1549 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1549
- Bannister , M. Drag and Dirt Deposition Mechanisms of External Rear View Mirrors and Techniques Used for Optimization SAE 2000 Transactions, Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 109 6 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0486
- Chen , H. , Kandasamy , S. , Orszag , S. , Shock , R. et al. Extended Boltzmann Kinetic Equation for Turbulent Flows Science 301 633 636 2003
- Frisch , U. , Hasslacher , B. , and Pomeau , Y. Lattice-Gas Automata for the Navier-Stokes Equations Phys. Rev. Lett. 56 1505 1508 1986
- Karbon , K. and Longmans , S. Automobile Exterior Water Flow Analysis Using CFD and Wind Tunnel Visualization SAE Technical Paper 980035 1988 10.4271/980035
- Kotapati , R. , Shock , R. , and Chen , H. Lattice-Boltzmann Simulations of Flows over Backward-Facing Inclined Steps International Journal of Modern Physics C 25 1 2014
- Kruse , N. and Chen , K. Exterior Water Management Using a Custom Euler-Lagrange Simulation Approach SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0101 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0101