This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of the Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorder for the Freightliner New Cascadia with Detroit Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
For model year 2018, Freightliner introduced the New Cascadia model to their lineup of Class 8 trucks. Testing of the Freightliner New Cascadia with Detroit Diesel engines was conducted to evaluate the accuracy of the reported event data contained in the engine Electronic Control Units (ECUs) for these trucks. The testing showed that there are occurrences in DDEC Reports, specifically in the Last Stop Record and Hard Braking event data, when the time between successive event data points was two seconds rather than the reported one second interval. The occurrence of the two-second anomaly was not always present in a Last Stop Record or Hard Braking event. When the two-second anomaly was present in the event data, it occurred randomly and no pattern to when this anomaly occurs was determined. No method was found to be able to detect the presence of this anomaly from the review of a Last Stop Record or Hard Braking event. The testing also showed that the magnitudes of the reported vehicle speed, engine speed, and accelerator pedal position matched the respective magnitudes being broadcast on the vehicle’s SAE J1939 controller area network (CAN).
CitationPlant, D., Grimes, W., Wilcoxson, G., Higgins, B. et al., "Evaluation of the Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorder for the Freightliner New Cascadia with Detroit Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0636, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0636.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorder (HVEDR) Standard - Tier 1 SAE Standard J2728 2010 10.4271/J2728_201006
- Detroit Diesel Corporation 2002
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Vehicle Application Layer SAE Standard J1939-71 2012 10.4271/71_201205
- Reust , T.J. The Accuracy of Speed Captured by Commercial Vehicle Event Data Recorders SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1199 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1199
- Daily , J. , Kongs , A. , Johnson , J. , and Corcega , J. Extracting Event Data from Memory Chips within a Detroit Diesel DDEC V SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1450 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1450
- Plant , D. , Cheek , T. , Austin , T. , Steiner , J. et al. Timing and Synchronization of the Event Data Recorded by the Electronic Control Modules of Commercial Motor Vehicles - DDEC V SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 6 1 209 228 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1267