This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Computational Study of DOC on CSF for Heavy Duty Diesel Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For diesel exhaust aftertreatment applications with space limitations, as well as to move the selective catalytic reduction system (SCR) to a warmer location closer to the engine, DOC on CSF technology can be used. This technology combines the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) and catalyzed soot filter (CSF) functionalities in one component, thereby enabling volume reduction. DOC on CSF maintains the abatement of hydrocarbon (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and particulate matter (PM), and the oxidation of nitric oxide (NO) to nitrogen dioxide (NO2) for passive soot oxidation and fast SCR reaction of NOx on a downstream SCR catalyst. In this study, the performance of DOC on CSF was compared to a DOC + bare diesel particulate filter (DPF) and a DOC + CSF system, to understand the performance benefits and challenges.
All the components were optimized individually for their respective functions. The DOC on CSF was optimized for NO oxidation and passive soot oxidation performance. Experimental data and simulations were used to understand the underlying mechanisms in the DOC on CSF technology. Steady state HC oxidation under active regeneration conditions showed a benefit for DOC on CSF compared to the DOC + DPF system. The soot oxidation characteristics of the DOC on CSF were evaluated in comparison to a DPF or CSF downstream of a DOC under passive and active soot oxidation conditions. In addition, the contribution of NO2 generated within the filter on the soot oxidation was assessed. The passive soot oxidation characteristics of a DOC on CSF were found to be similar, or better, compared to DOC + DPF and DOC + CSF under certain conditions. The active regeneration efficiency was lower for the DOC on CSF due to the gradual increase in temperature along the length of the part during fuel injection. This work demonstrates the differences between the DOC on CSF and DOC + bare/coated DPF systems, thus enabling a better understanding of the performance of DOC on CSF to current applications.
CitationSethuraman, S., Sitamraju, S., Lopez-De Jesus, Y., and Markatou, P., "Experimental and Computational Study of DOC on CSF for Heavy Duty Diesel Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0586, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0586.
- Johnson , T. Review of Diesel Emissions and Control SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 3 1 16 29 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0301
- Cutler , W. , Boger , T. , Chiffey , A. , Phillips , P. et al. Performance Aspects of New Catalyzed Diesel Soot Filters Based on Advanced Oxide Filter Materials SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1268 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1268
- Chiffey , A.F. , Phillips , P.R. , Swallow , D. , Twigg , M.V. et al. Performance of New Catalyzed Diesel Soot Filters Based on Advanced Oxide Filter Materials 4th FAD Conference Challenge - Exhaust Aftertreatment for Diesel Engines Dresden 2006
- López - De Jesús , Y. , Chigada , P. , Watling , T. , Arulraj , K. et al. NOx and PM Reduction from Diesel Exhaust Using Vanadia SCRF® SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 1247 1257 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0914
- Naseri , M. , Aydin , C. , Mulla , S. , Conway , R. et al. Development of Emission Control Systems to Enable High NOx Conversion on Heavy Duty Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 1144 1151 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0992
- Conway , R. , Chatterjee , S. , Naseri , M. , and Aydin , C. Demonstration of SCR on a Diesel Particulate Filter System on a Heavy Duty Application SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1033 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1033
- Rose , D. and Boger , T. Different Approaches to Soot Estimation as Key Requirement for DPF Applications SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1262 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1262
- Jeguirim , M. , Tschamber , V. , and Ehrburger , P. Catalytic Effect of Platinum on the Kinetics of Carbon Oxidation by NO 2 and O 2 Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 76 3-4 235 240 2007 10.1016/j.apcatb.2007.05.029
- Wurzenberger , J. , Triebl , C. , and Kutschi , S. Diffusion Supporting Passive Filter Regeneration- A Modeling Contribution on Coated Filters SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0957 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0957