This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Emissions and Combustion Analysis of CI Engine Using Ethyl Ester Kusum Oil and Butanol Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Globalization, urbanization and industrialization have paved the way for manufacturing activities and production, maintaining standards and competition which have eventually resulted in skyrocketing fuel prices, a drastic increase in carbon emissions as well as exhaustion of petroleum resources at an alarming level. Multiple researchers have therefore explored alternative fuels for diesel engines. Industries have time and again proven to develop technologies that have not only reduced the emissions produced in combustion engines but have also increased their efficiency, power and fuel economy.
Using alternative fuels can also aid in reducing air pollution. Biodiesel is an alternative, renewable and biodegradable fuel which can significantly reduce emissions in an automobile and push the economical, sustainable and smart growth of the country. Kusum (Schleichera oleosa) oil still has great potential which must be realized. In this paper, the research efforts are directed towards improving the performance of C.I. engine using ethyl ester Kusum oil (Vegetable oil) and butanol blended with diesel as a fuel. No modification in the engine was needed in order to use this blend. The performance of a single-cylinder, four stroke, Compression Ignition engine was studied using Kusum oil ethyl ester and its blend with diesel, having the engine being operated at various loading conditions with water cooling system. Four samples were prepared with 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% butanol in Kusum oil ethyl ester(v/v) and were named as B5KOEE95, B10KOEE90, B15KOEE85 and B20KOEE80. Engine performance factors namely BTE, BSFC and emissions of CO, CO2, unburnt HC, NOx were measured and analyzed among diesel, KOEE100, B5KOEE95, B10KOEE90, B15KOEE85 and B20KOEE80.
CitationSingh, V., Agarwal, T., Saroha, N., and Gautam, R., "Performance Emissions and Combustion Analysis of CI Engine Using Ethyl Ester Kusum Oil and Butanol Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0568, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0568.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Basha, S.A., Gopal, K.R., and Jebaraj, S., “A Review on Biodiesel Production, Combustion, Emissions and Performance,” Renew Sustain Energy Rev 13:1628-1634, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2008.09.031.
- Rakopoulos, C.D., Antonopoulos, K.A., Rakopoulos, D.C., Hountalas, D.T. et al., “Comparative Performance and Emissions Study of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Using Blends of Diesel Fuel with Vegetable Oils or Bio-Diesels of Various Origins,” Energy Convers Manage 47:3272-3287, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2006.01.006.
- Directive 2003/30/EC, “On the Production of the Use Biofuels or other Renewable Fuels for Transport,” Official J Eur Union 23:42-46, 17/5/2003.
- Haas, M.J., Mc Aloon, A.J., Yee, W.C., and Foglia, T.A., “A Process Model to Estimate Biodiesel Production Costs,” Bioresour Technol 97:671-678, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2005.03.039.
- Phan, A.N. and Phan, T.M., “Biodiesel Production from Waste Cooking Oils,” Fuel 87:3490-3496, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2008.07.008.
- Talebian-Kiakalaieh, A., Amin, N.A.S., and Mazaheri, H., “A Review on Novel Processes of Biodiesel Production from Waste Cooking Oil,” Appl Energy 104:683-710, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.11.061.
- Araujo, V.K.W.S., Hamacher, S., and Scavarda, L.F., “Economic Assessment of Biodiesel Production from Waste Frying Oils,” Bioresour Technol 101:4415-4422, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2010.01.101.
- Canakci, M., “The Potential of Restaurant Waste Lipids as Biodiesel Feedstocks,” Bioresour Technol 98:183-190, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2005.11.022.
- Reed, T.B., Graboski, M.S., and Gaur, S., “Development and Commercialization of Oxygenated Diesel Fuels from Waste Vegetable Oils,” Biomass and Bioenergy 3:111-115, 1992, doi:10.1016/0961-9534(92)90048-U.
- Lin, Y.C., Hsu, K.H., and Chen, C.B., “Experimental Investigation of the Performance and Emissions of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Fueled with Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel/Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Blends,” Energy 36:241-248, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2010.10.045.
- Gui, M.M., Lee, K.T., and Bhatia, S., “Feasibility of Edible Oil vs. Non-Edible Oil vs. Waste Edible Oil as Biodiesel Feedstock,” Energy 33:1646-1653, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2008.06.002.
- Nurfitri, I., Maniam, G.P., Hindryawati, N., Yusoff et al., “Potential of Feedstock and Catalysts from Waste in Biodiesel Preparation: A Review,” Energy Convers Manage 74:395-402, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2013.04.042.
- Subramanian, A.K., Singal, S.K., Saxena, M., and Singhal, S., “Utilization of Liquid Biofuels in Automotive Diesel Engines: An Indian Perspective,” Biomass Bioenergy 29:65-72, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2005.02.001.
- Azam, M.M., Waris, A., and Nahar, N.M., “Prospects and Potential of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters of Some Non-Traditional Seed Oils for Use as Biodiesel in India,” Biomass Bioenergy 29:293-302, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2005.05.001.
- Jawre, S. and Lawankar, S.M., “Performance Analysis of Kusum Methyl Ester as Alternative Bio-Fuel in Diesel Engine with Diethyl Ether as Additive,” International Journal of Innovative Science and Development 3:139-144, 2014.
- Zhang, Z.H. and Balasubramanian, B., “Influence of Butanol Addition to Diesel-Biodiesel Blend on Engine Performance and Particulate Emissions of a Stationary Diesel Engine,” Elsevier Applied Energy 119:530-536, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.01.043.
- Pali, H., Kumar, N., and Mishra, C., “Effect of Blending of Ethanol in Kusum Oil on Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1396, 2014, 10.4271/2014-01-1396.
- Sukjit, E., Herreros, J.M., Dearn, K.D., García-Contreras, R. et al., “The Effect of the Addition of Individual Methyl Esters on the Combustion and Emissions of Ethanol and Butanol-Diesel Blends,” Energy 42:364-374, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2012.03.041.
- Sukjit, E., Herreros, J.M., Piaszyk, J., Dearn, K.D. et al., “Finding Synergies in Fuels Properties for the Design of Renewable Fuels-Hydroxylated Biodiesel Effects on Butanol-Diesel Blends,” Environ Sci Technol 47:3535-3542, 2013, doi:10.1021/es400131j.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Kinoshita, E., Shanbu, L., and Ohmura, T., “Influence of 1-Butanol Addition on Diesel Combustion with Palm Oil Methyl Ester/Gas Oil Blends,” Energy 61:44-51, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2012.11.039.
- Altun, S., Öner, C., Yasar, F., and Adin, H., “Effect of n-Butanol Blending with a Blend of Diesel and Biodiesel on Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine,” Ind Eng Chem Res 50:9425-9430, 2011, doi:10.1021/ie201023f.
- Gautam, R. and Kumar, N., “Comparative Study of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Jatropha Alkyl Ester/Butanol/Diesel Blends in a Small Capacity CI Engine,” Biofuels 6:1-12, 2015, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2664.
- http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5043e/x5043E08.htm accessed on 12.10.2018.
- Kundu, M.K., “Bandyopadhyay. Studies on Some Chemical Aspects of Kusum Oil,” J Am Oil Chem Soc 46:23-27, 1969, doi:10.1007/BF02632704.
- Dogan, O., “The Influence of n-Butanol/Diesel Fuel Blends Utilization on a Small Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” Fuel 90:2467-2472, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2011.02.033.
- Wallner, T., Miers, S.A., and McConnell, S., “A Comparison of Ethanol and Butanol as Oxygenates Using a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” J Eng Gas Turbines Power 131(3):032802-9, doi:10.1115/1.3043810.
- Rakopoulos, D.C., Rakopoulos, C.D., Papagiannakis, R.G., and Kyritsi, D.C., “Combustion Heat Release Analysis of Ethanol or n-Butanol Diesel Fuel Blends in Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engine,” Fuel 90:1855-1867, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2010.12.003.
- Rakopoulos, D.C., Rakopoulos, C.D., Hountalas, D.T., Kakaras, E.C. et al., “Investigation of the Performance and Emissions of Bus Engine Operating on Butanol/Diesel Fuel Blends,” Fuel 89:2781-2790, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2010.03.04.
- Chauhan, B.S., Kumar, N., Cho, H.M., and Lim, H.C., “A Study on the Performance and Emission of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Karanja Biodiesel and Its Blends,” Energy 56:1-7, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.03.083.
- Chauhan, B.S., Kumar, N., and Cho, H.M., “A Study on the Performance and Emission of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Jatropha Biodiesel Oil and Its Blends,” Energy 37:616-622, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2011.10.043.
- Qi, D.H., Chen, H., Geng, L.M., Bian, Y.Z.H.. Experimental Studies on the Combustion Characteristics and Performance of a Direct Injection Engine Fueled with Biodiesel/Diesel Blends, Energy Conversion and Management, 51 (2010), pp.2985-2992, ISSN:196-8904,doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.06.042.
- Can, Ö., Combustion Characteristics, Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine Fueled with a Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel Mixture, Energy Conversion and Management, 87(2014), pp. 676-686, ISSN 0196-8904, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2014.07.066.
- Rathod, N.P. and Lawankar, S.M. Experimental Investigation on Use of Methyl Ester Kusum Oil and Its Blends in Direct Injection CI Engine IOSR-JMCE, 10(2013), pp. 36-43 e-ISSN: 2278-1684,p-ISSN: 2320-334X
- Kumar, A., Sharma S., Potential Non-Edible Oil Resources as Biodiesel Feedstock: An Indian perspective, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15(2011), pp. 1791-1800, ISSN 1364-0321,doi:10.1016/j.rser.2010.11.020.
- Prabhahar, M., Manogar, R.M., and Sendivelan, S., “Performance and Emissions Characteristics of a Diesel Engine with Various Injection Pressures Using Biodiesel,” 5:2880-2884, 2012, doi:10.17485/ijst%2F2012%2Fv5i6%2F30480.
- Sharma, Y.C. and Singh, B., “An Ideal Feedstock, Kusum (Schleichera triguga) for Preparation of Biodiesel: Optimization of Parameters,” Fuel 89:1470-1474,ISSN 0016-2361, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2009.10.013.
- Gautam, R., Kumar, N., and Sharma, P., “Comparative Assessment of Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Blends of Methyl and Ethyl Ester of Jatropha Oil and Diesel in Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2664, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2664.
- Silitonga A.S., Masjuki H.H., Mahlia T.M.I., Ong Hwai Chyuan, Kusumo F., Aditiya H.B., Ghazali N.N.N., Schleichera oleosa L Oil as Feedstock for Biodiesel Production, Fuel, 156(2015), pp. 63-70,ISSN 0016-2361, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2015.04.046.
- Mikolajczak, K.L. and Smith, C.R. Jr., “Cyanolipids of Kusum (Schleichera trijuga) Seed Oil,” Lipids 6(5):349-350, 1970.
- Chauhan, B.S., Kumar, N., and Cho, H.M., “Performance and Emission Studies on an Agricultural Engine on Neat Jatropha oil,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 24(2):529-535, 2010, doi:10.1007/s12206-010-0101-5.
- Singh, A.K., Mishara, C., Vibhanshu, V., and Kumar, N., “Performance Evaluation and Emission Studies of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Fueled with Isopropyl Alcohol and Diesel,” , 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1132.
- Demirbas, A., “Importance of Biodiesel as Transportation Fuel,” Energy Policy 35:4661-4670, 2007.