This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Feature-Based Responses Prediction Method for Simplified CAE Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In real-world engineering problems, the method of model simplification is usually adopted to increase the simulation efficiency. Nevertheless, the obtained simulation results are commonly with low accuracy. To research the impact from model simplification on simulation results, a feature-based predictive method for simplified CAE model analysis is proposed in this paper. First, the point clouds are used to represent the features of simplified model. Then the features are quantified according to the factors of position for further analysis. A formulated predictive model is then established to evaluate the responses of interest for different models, which are specified by the employed simplification methods. The proposed method is demonstrated through an engineering case. The results suggest that the predictive model can facilitate the analysis procedure to reduce the cost in CAE analysis.
- Qingmiao Wang - State Key Lab of Veh NVH & Safety Technology/Chongqing Univ.
- Huijie Xu - Chongqing University
- Xin Yang - Chongqing University
- Zhenfei Zhan - State Key Lab of Veh NVH & Safety Technology/Chongqing Univ.
- Wenxiang Dong - Chongqing University
- Qingjiang Zhao - China Automotive Engineering Research Institute Co., Ltd.
- Wei Xu - China Automotive Engineering Research Institute Co., Ltd.
CitationWang, Q., Xu, H., Yang, X., Zhan, Z. et al., "A Feature-Based Responses Prediction Method for Simplified CAE Models," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0516, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0516.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Francia, D., Ceruti, A., Caligiana, G. et al. , “Shape Similarity: Methods and Industrial Applications,” in International conference on Innovative Methods in Product Design, Venice, Italy, 2011.
- Geng, W., Chen, Z., and He, K. , “A Method of Recognizing and Suppressing Detailed Features for Model Simplification,” Journal of Computer-Aided Design and Computer Graphics 25(12):1886-1893, 2013.
- Ferrandes, R., Marin, P.M., On, J.C. et al. , “A Posteriori Evaluation of Simplification Details for Finite Element Model Preparation,” Computers & Structures 87(1-2):73-80, 2009.
- Kwon, S., Kim, B.C., Mun, D. et al. , “Simplification of Feature-Based 3D CAD Assembly Data of Ship and Offshore Equipment Using Quantitative Evaluation Metrics,” Computer-Aided Design 59(C):140-154, 2015.
- Tang, J., Cao, W., and Gao, S. , “CAE Oriented Error Evaluation and Information Reuse of Simplified Models,” China Mechanical Engineering 23(8):961-967, 2012.
- Cardone, A., Gupta, S.K., and Karnik, M. , “A Survey of Shape Similarity Assessment Algorithms for Product Design and Manufacturing Applications,” Journal of Computing & Information Science in Engineering 3(2):109-118, 2003.
- Li, M. , “Review On Engineering Analysis Reliable CAD Model Simplification,” Journal of Computer-Aided Design& Computer Graphics 27(8):1363-1375, 2015.
- Papalambros, P., Barbat, S., and Yang, R.J. , “Comparing Time Histories for Validation of Simulation Models: Error Measures and Metrics,” Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement & Control 132(6):768-778, 2010.
- Zhan, Z. , “Model Validation For Vehicle Safety Oriented Multivariate Dynamic Systems Under Uncertainty: Theories And Applications,” Shanghai Jiao Tong University, July 2011.
- Zhan, Z., Fu, Y., and Yang, R.J. , “Enhanced Error Assessment of Response Time Histories (EEARTH) Metric and Calibration Process,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0245 , 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0245.
- Wang, Q. et al. , “Research on the Impact of Feature-Based Model Simplification on CAE Simulation Results,” ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition V012T16A003, 2017.
- Tang, J. , “Evaluation of Analysis Error Caused by Cad Model Simplification,” Zhejiang University, April 2012.
- Tang, J. , “Defeaturing-Induced Impacts Estimation And Boundary Condition Compensation For CAE Oriented Model Simplification,” Journal of Computer-Aided Design & Computer Graphics Model Simplification, 2010.
- Leng B. "Research on Feature Description and Relevance Feedback Algorithms for 3D Model Retrieval," Tsinghua University, April, 2009.
- Gao, S. et al. , “Feature Suppression Based CAD Mesh Model Simplification,” Computer-Aided Design, 2010.