This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Virtual Fuel Economy Trend Evaluation Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the advancement of the autonomous vehicle development, the different possibilities of improving fuel economy have increased significantly by changing the driver or powertrain response under different traffic conditions. Development of new fuel-efficient driving strategies requires extensive experiments and simulations in traffic. In this paper, a fuel efficiency simulator environment with existing simulator software such as Simulink, Vissim, Sumo, and CarSim is developed in order to reduce the overall effort required for developing new fuel-efficient algorithms. The simulation environment is created by combining a mid-sized sedan MATLAB-Simulink powertrain model with a realistic microscopic traffic simulation program. To simulate the traffic realistically, real roads from urban and highway sections are modeled in the simulator with different traffic densities. Other traffic elements which would affect the fuel consumption, such as speed limit information, traffic stop sign and a traffic lights with SPaT (Signal Phase and Timing) information, are a part of the simulator. In order to evaluate the performance of the developed algorithms, fuel consumption performance of the developed algorithms are compared with the fuel consumption performance of a simple driver model, the Intelligent Driver Model (IDM). Therefore, the IDM with different aggressiveness levels is integrated into the simulation environment. Finally, the developed simulation environment is integrated into CarSim for perception sensor simulation capabilities. This developed simulation environment aims to accelerate development of fuel-efficient algorithms.
- Mustafa Ridvan Cantas - Ohio State University
- Shihong Fan - Ohio State University
- Ozgenur Kavas - Ohio State University
- Santhosh Tamilarasan - Ohio State University
- Levent Guvenc - Ohio State University
- Sanghoon Yoo - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Jason H. Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Byungho Lee - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
- Jinho Ha - Hyundai-Kia America Technical Center Inc.
CitationCantas, M., Fan, S., Kavas, O., Tamilarasan, S. et al., "Development of Virtual Fuel Economy Trend Evaluation Process," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0510, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0510.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Lee , H. , Lee , J. , Yoo , S. , Jeong , K. et al. Utilization of ADAS for Improving Performance of Coasting in Neutral SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0603 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0608
- Lee , H. , Lee , J. , Yoo , S. , Jeong , K. et al. Utilization of ADAS for Improving Performance of Coasting in Neutral SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0603 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0603
- Saidallah , M. , El Fergougui , A. , and Elalaoui , A.E. A Comparative Study of Urban Road Traffic Simulators MATEC Web of Conferences 2016 81 05002 10.1051/matecconf/20168105002
- Krajzewicz , D. , Erdmann , J. , Behrisch , M. , and Bieker , L. Recent Development and Applications of SUMO - Simulation of Urban Mobility Int. J. Advances Syst. Measure 5 3 128 138 2012
- Moawad , A. and Rousseau , A. 2012 10.4271/2014-01-1082
- Gipps , P.G. A Behavioral Car-Following Model for Computer Simulation Transp. Res. Part B 15 2 105 111 1981
- Treiber , M. , Hennecke , A. , and Helbing , D. Congested Traffic States in Empirical Observations and Microscopic Simulations Physical Review E 62 2 1805 2000
- Krauß , S. Microscopic Modeling of Traffic Flow: Investigation of Collision Free Vehicle Dynamics DLR - Forschungsberichte 8 1998
- Das , A.K. and Asundi , J. A Simple Explicit Model Approximating the Relationship Between Speed and Density of Vehicular Traffic on Urban Roads Int. J. Crit. Infrastructures 8 2/3 195 2012
- Kanagaraj , V. , Asaithambi , G. , Kumar , C.H.N. , Srinivasan , K.K. et al. Evaluation of Different Vehicle Following Models Under Mixed Traffic Conditions Procedia - Soc. Behav. Sci. 104 390 401 2013
- Ohio Department of Transportation Transpiration Data Management System http://odot.ms2soft.com/tcds/tsearch.asp?loc=Odot&mod= 2018
- Michigan Department of Transportation MDOT-Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) Maps https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-11151-22141--,00.html 2018
- Tettamanti , T. and Horváth , T.
- Bergasa , L.M. , Almeria , D. , Almazan , J. , Yebes , J.J. et al. DriveSafe: An App for Alerting Inattentive Drivers and Scoring Driving Behaviors IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Proceedings, (Iv) 2014 240 245 10.1109/IVS.2014.6856461