This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrating a Proactive Quality Control Concept into Machining Operation of a Crankshaft Manufacturing Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Competition in the manufacturing industry is ever increasingly intense. Manufacturing organizations that want to grow and prosper must embrace a discipline of constant improvement. Their engineering departments are tasked with improving existing manufacturing processes in terms of quality and throughput, which is vital to competing on a global scale. Manufacturers strive to utilize technologies to extract efficiencies from their existing processes. Reducing scrap and rework is the paramount goal in increasing a processes’ efficiency. The foundation of this study is to analyze a production line to determine the quality status throughout the manufacturing process. The intention is to react to process instability before the production becomes non-compliant (scrap/rework) which will significantly improve productivity.
By incorporating the proposed technology into the production process, the desired achievement will be to spot process variables at the earliest stages so that counter measures can be taken to stabilize the process before production drifts into non-compliance. Furthermore, the technology will communicate with machining operations to initiate counter measures such as program offsets, tool changes and wheel dressings. The main goal of this study is to develop a system that will concurrently monitor the compliance of respective machining operations and automatically issue corrective actions to keep production in compliance much faster than the current system, which relies on production workers to acknowledge that the process is producing scrap of rework parts and then determine what corrective action to take.
CitationBazzi, L., "Integrating a Proactive Quality Control Concept into Machining Operation of a Crankshaft Manufacturing Process," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0507, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0507.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Hiten P. and Sanjay , C. Review on Cycle Time Reduction in Manufacturing Industries 2014 2349-5162
- Godina , R. , et al. Quality Improvement with Statistical Process Control in the Automotive Industry 7 1 2016 1 8 www.iim.ftn.uns.ac.rs/ijiem_journal.php 2217-266S
- Raut , R. and Attar , P.R. Optimization of Process Capability in an Automobile Industry 03 2016
- Riana , P. et al. Control Chart and Process Capability Analysis in Quality Control of Mosaics Parquet Journal of Polymer and Textile Engineering (IOSR-JPTE) 4 5 23 31 2017
- Trumble Inc.
- Manish , Y. and Manoj , S.K. Analyzing The Process Capability for an Auto manual Transmission Base Plate Manufacturing International Journal of Managing Value and Supply Chains 7 3 2016