This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Subtractive/Additive Rapid Prototyping of a Curve Spacer for Centrifugal Pump Impeller: Design, Manufacturing, and Simulation Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents methods of rapid prototyping design and manufacturing used in the development of a centrifugal pump impeller with curved spacer (CS). In this research subtractive and additive rapid manufacturing methods were applied to create complex curved spacer profiles for testing as part of geometry optimization process for a high speed and high flow rate centrifugal pump impeller. Seven models for the curved spacer were designed and each model was integrated with the bare impeller separately for simulation analysis. One design was selected for manufacturing with applying subtractive and additive processes. In subtractive manufacturing method, the raw material was removed from a solid shaft by a cutting process under digital control from a computer file. The complexity of the modified impeller spacer profiles required the use of expensive CNC machining with five axis capability. This technique offers the possibility to produce components of increased complexity whilst ensuring quality, strength, performance and speed of manufacture. In additive manufacturing method a 3D printing machine was used with heating the filament polylactic acid wire to build the prototype layer by layer. The ability to manufacture complex spacer profiles that are robust enough for testing in a rapid and cost effective manner is proved essential in the overall design optimization process for the specified pump impeller with six blades. The manufacturing methods employed for curved spacer thickness, spacer angle, profile and required power consumption were analyzed. In this work the results of the simulation modelling were compared to the experimental data. The final recorded results demonstrated that the impeller’s development with the innovative curved spacer design and manufacturing have the potential to achieve sensible improvement of total pump efficiency at different flowrates.
|Journal Article||Measuring Progress with Normalized Energy Intensity|
|Technical Paper||Simulation Method of the Exhaust System on a Durability Bench|
|Technical Paper||Factors in AERATION and DEAERATION of AIRCRAFT-ENGINE OIL|
CitationHermez, M., Jawad, B., Liu, L., and Kheirallah, M., "Subtractive/Additive Rapid Prototyping of a Curve Spacer for Centrifugal Pump Impeller: Design, Manufacturing, and Simulation Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0506, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0506.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Kalpakjian, S. and Schmi, Manufacturing Engineering and Technology (Upper Saddle River: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006).
- Hermez, M., Jawad, B., Liu, L., Fernandez, V. et al., “Comparison of Inlet Curved Disk Arrangements for Suppression of Recirculation in Centrifugal Pump Impellers,” in Proceedings of the IMECE2016 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 11-17, 2016, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, IMECE2016-65448, 2016.
- Mumtaz, K.A. and Hopkinson, N., “Laser Melting Functionally Graded Composition of Waspaloy and Zirconia Powders,” Journal of Materials Science 42(18):7647-7656, 2007.
- Dimitrov, D., Schreve, K., and Beer, N., “Advances in Three Dimensional Printing - State of the Art and Future Perspectives,” Rapid Prototyping Journal 12(3):136-147, 2006.
- Litfin, O. and Delgado, A., “On the Effect of Volute Design on Unsteady Flow and Impeller-Volute Interaction in A Centrifugal Pump,” in Proceedings of the ASME 4th Joint US-European Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting, FEDSM2014-21533, 2014.
- Rodriguez, C.G., Mateos-Prieto, B., and Egusquiza, E., “Monitoring of Rotor-Stator Interaction in APump-Turbine Using Vibration Measured with Onboard Sensors Rotating with Shaft,” Shock and Vibration, art.ID.276796, 2014.
- Tsujimoto, Y., Yoshida, Y., and Mekawa, S.F., “Observation of Oscillating Cavitation of an Inducer,” Journal of Fluid Engineering 119, 1997.
- Karassik, I., Messina, J., and Heald, C., Pump Hand Book 3rd Edition (USA: McGraw-Hill Company, 2010).
- Masood, S.H. and Soo, A., “A Rule Based Expert System for Rapid Prototyping System Selection,” Rob. Comput. Integr. Manuf. 18(3-4):267-274, 2002.
- Frank, M.C., Wysk, R.A., and Joshi, S.B., “Rapid Planning for CNC Milling - A New Approach for Rapid Prototyping,” Journal of Manufacturing Systems 23(3):242-255, 2004.
- Sun, J., Chen, S., Qu, Y., and Li, J., “Review on Stress Corrosion and Corrosion Fatigue Failure of Centrifugal Compressor Impeller,” Chin. J. Mech. Eng. 28(2):217-225, 2015.
- Quail, F.J., Scanlon, T.J., and Stickland, M.T., “Development of a Regenerative Pump Impeller Using Rapid Manufacturing Techniques,” Rapid Prototyping J. 16(5):337-344, 2010.
- Xu, F., Wong, Y.S., and Loh, H.T., “Toward Generic Models for Comparative Evaluation and Process Selection in Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing,” J. Manuf. Syst. 19(5):283-296, 2001.
- Outokumpu Stainless, “How to Weld Type 2205 Code Plus Two Duplex Stainless Steel,” Schaumburg, IL, USA, 60173-2218.
- Yongnian, Y., Shengjie, L., Zhang, R., Feng, L. et al., “Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Technology: Principle, Representative Technics, Applications, and Development Trends,” Tsing-Hua Sci. Technol. 14(S1):1-12, 2009.
- Ilardo, R. and Williams, C.B., “Design and Manufacture of a Formula SAE Intake System Using Fused Deposition Modeling and Fiber-Reinforced Composite Materials,” Rapid Prototyping J. 16(6):174-179, 2013.
- Durgun, I. and Ertan, R., “Experimental Investigation of FDM Process for Improvement of Mechanical Properties and Production Cost,” Rapid Prototyp. J. 20:228-235, 2014.
- Munson, Y. and Okiishi, H., Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics,” 6th ed., USA, West Virginia, 2009.