This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Time-Accurate CFD Analysis of Liquid Cold Plates for Efficient Thermal Performance of Electric Vehicle Li-Ion Battery Modules
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An efficient Thermal Management System (TMS) is crucial for superior performance of an automotive Li-ion Battery Module (BM). Liquid-Cooled TMS, consisting of a coolant flow through a cold plate, offers higher rate of heat transfer compared to passive or forced-air cooled TMS, thus allowing cells to charge/discharge at aggressive rates and higher ambient temperatures while maintaining the cell temperatures within an optimal range. In the current study, we investigate the effect of a variety of cold plate channel sizes and configurations on the overall thermal performance of a liquid-cooled BM using three-dimensional, time-accurate CFD simulations with variable heat load from cylindrical 21700 Li-ion cells. Specifically, we consider 8 different cold plate designs by varying the size and the flow path of the coolant channels. For all the cold plate designs, we evaluate the average and maximum cell temperatures, and heat transfer rate at a module discharge rate of 1C. Additionally, the coolant pressure drop across the entire cold plate is also computed, which helps in providing information about the energy efficiency of the TMS.
CitationPulugundla, G., Dubey, P., and Srouji, A., "Time-Accurate CFD Analysis of Liquid Cold Plates for Efficient Thermal Performance of Electric Vehicle Li-Ion Battery Modules," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0500, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0500.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Lu, L., Han, X., Li, J., Hua, J. et al., “A Review on the Key Issues for Lithium-Ion Battery Management in Electric Vehicles,” J. Power Sources 226:272-288, 2013.
- Wang, Q., Jiang, B., Li, B., and Yan, Y., “A Critical Review of Thermal Management Models and Solutions for Lithium-Ion Batteries for the Development of Pure Electric Vehicles,” 64:106-218, 2016.
- Xu, J., Lan, C., Qiao, Y., and Ma, Y., “Prevent Thermal Runaway of Lithium-Ion Batteries with Minichannel Cooling,” Appl. Thermal Eng. 110:883-890, 2017.
- Wang, C., Zhang, G., Meng, M., Li, X. et al., “Liquid Cooling Based on Thermal Silica Plate for Battery Thermal Management System,” Int. J. Energy Res. 41:2468-2479, 2017.
- Zhoujian, A.N., Li, J., Yong, D., Chao, D. et al., “A Review on Lithium-Ion Power Battery Thermal Management Technologies and Thermal Safety,” J. Thermal Sci. 26:391-412, 2017.
- Lu, Z., Meng, X.Z., Wei, L.C., Hu, W.Y. et al., “Thermal Management of Densely-Packed EV Battery with Forced Air Cooling Strategies,” Energy Procedia 88:682-688, 2016.
- Ma, Z-S., Chen, S-R., Yao, Y., Miao, X. et al., “Thermal Performance of a Liquid Cooling System for a Li-Ion Battery Pack,” in International Conference on Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Automation, 2017.
- Wang, Q., Jiang, B., Xue, Q.F., Sun, H.L. et al., “Experimental Investigation on EV Battery Cooling and Heating by Heat Pipes,” Appl. Thermal Eng. 88:54-60, 2015.
- Bai, F., Chen, M., Song, W., Feng, Z. et al., “Thermal Management Performances of PCM/Water Cooling-Plate Using for Lithium-Ion Battery Module Based on Non-Uniform Internal Heat Source,” Appl. Thermal Eng. 126:17-27, 2017.
- Wei, Y. and Agelin-Chaab, M., “Experimental Investigation of a Novel Hybrid Cooling Method for Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Appl. Thermal Eng. 136:375-387, 2018.
- Jarrett, A. and Kim, I.Y., “Influence of Operating Conditions on the Optimum Design of Electric Vehicle Battery Cooling Plates,” J. Power Sources 245:644-655, 2014.
- Huo, Y., Rao, Z., Liu, X., and Zhao, J., “Investigation of Power Battery Thermal Management by Using Mini-Channel Cold Plate,” Energy Convers. Manag. 89:387-395, 2015.
- Zhao, J., Rao, Z., and Li, Y., “Thermal Performance of Mini-Channel Liquid Cooled Cylinder Based Battery Thermal Management for Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Power Battery,” Energy Convers. Manag. 103:157-165, 2015.
- Barsukov, Y., Challenges and Solutions in Battery Fuel Gauging (Consultant to Texas Instruments, Inc., 2004).
- STAR-CCM+ User’s Manual, http://www.cd-adapco.com/products/star-ccm/documentation.
- Celik, I.B., Ghia, U., Roache, P.J., and Freitas, C.J., “Procedure for Estimation and Reporting of Uncertainty Due to Discretization in CFD Applications,” J. Fluids Eng. 130:078001, 2008.
- Maharudrayya, S., Jayanti, S., and Deshpande, A., “Pressure Losses in Laminar Flow through Serpentine Channels in Fuel Cell Stacks,” J. Power Sources 138:1-13, 2004.