This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Distributed Drive Electric Vehicle Longitudinal Velocity Estimation with Adaptive Kalman Filter: Theory and Experiment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Velocity is one of the most important inputs of active safety systems such as ABS, TCS, ESC, ACC, AEB et al. In a distributed drive electric vehicle equipped with four in-wheel motors, velocity is hard to obtain due to all-wheel drive, especially in wheel slipping conditions. This paper focus on longitudinal velocity estimation of the distributed drive electric vehicle. Firstly, a basic longitudinal velocity estimation method is built based on a typical Kalman filter, where four wheel speeds obtained by wheel speed sensors constitute an observation variable and the longitudinal acceleration measured by an inertia moment unit is chosen as input variable. In simulations, the typical Kalman filter show good results when no wheel slips; when one or more wheels slip, the typical Kalman filter with constant covariance matrices does not work well. Therefore, a gain matrix adjusting Kalman filter which can detect the wheel slip and cope with that is proposed. Simulations are carried out in different conditions, including no wheel slips, one wheel slips, all wheel slip, passing a bump, and variable acceleration drive, and the results show that wheel slip has very little impact on estimation velocity. On-road experiments, including drive with sudden acceleration and deceleration, pass a bump, and accelerate on wet tile road, show satisfying results. On wet tile road, where the maximum slip rate is larger than 0.9, the velocity estimation error converges to within 5% in one second and to zero at last.
CitationZhang, Y., Leng, B., Xiong, L., Yu, Z. et al., "Distributed Drive Electric Vehicle Longitudinal Velocity Estimation with Adaptive Kalman Filter: Theory and Experiment," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0439, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0439.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Jiang , F. and Gao , Z. An Adaptive Nonlinear Filter Approach to the Vehicle Velocity Estimation for ABS IEEE International Conference on Control Applications 2000 USA September 27-27 2000 10.1109/CCA.2000.897472
- Chu , L. , Shi , Y. , Zhang , Y. , Liu , H. et al. Vehicle lateral and longitudinal velocity estimation based on Adaptive Kalman Filter 2010 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering China August 20-22 2010 10.1109/ICACTE.2010.5579565
- Villagra , J. , D'Andrea-Novel , B. , Fliess , M. and Mounier , H. Estimation of Longitudinal and Lateral Vehicle Velocities: An Algebraic Approach 2008 American Control Conference USA June 11-13 2008 10.1109/ACC.2008.4587108
- Kobayashi , K. , Cheok , K.C. , and Watanabe , K. Estimation of Absolute Vehicle Speed Using Fuzzy Logic Rule-Based Kalman filter 1995 American Control Conference USA June 21-23 1995 10.1109/ACC.1995.532084
- Song , C. , Uchanski , M. , and Hedrick , J.K. Vehicle Speed Estimation Using Accelerometer and Wheel Speed Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2229 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2229
- Bian , M. , Sun , F. , Chen , S. , and Li , J. Monitoring Longitudinal Vehicular Velocity by Using Driving Wheels Information Journal of Beijing Institute of Technology 11 3 251 255 2002 10.15918/j.jbit1004-0579.2002.03.006
- Hsu , L.Y. and Chen , T.L. Vehicle Full-State Estimation and Prediction System Using State Observers IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 58 6 2651 2662 2009 10.1109/TVT.2008.2008811
- Van Zanten , A.T. , Erhardt , R. , Pfaff , G. Kost , F. et al. Control Aspects of the Bosch-VDC International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control Germany 1996
- M'Sirdi , N. K. , Rabhi , A. , Fridman , L. , Davila , J. et al. Second Order Sliding Mode Observer for Estimation of Velocities, Wheel Sleep, Radius and Stiffness 2006 American Control Conference USA June 14-16 2006 10.1109/ACC.2006.1657230
- Alvarez , J.C. 2006
- Chu , L. , Shi , Y. , Zhang , Y. , Ou , Y. Vehicle Velocity Estimation Based on Adaptive Kalman Filter 2010 International Conference on Computer China August 24-26 2010 10.1109/CMCE.2010.5610261
- Li , B. , Xiong , L. , and Leng , B. Adaptive Anti-Slip Regulation Method for Electric Vehicle with In-Wheel Motors Considering the Road Slope 29th IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium China June 26-29 2018 10.1109/IVS.2018.8500399